Suspension Information Compendium -what fits, tuning info

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

will the 04 sti springs go onto a 92 turbo strut?
Mellowgorilla
In Neutral

Post by Mellowgorilla »

I didn't read anything about this in this post, but... 94 to 01 Impreza's use the same strut bars.
And I just fit both of them on my 94 legacy FWD. Rides like a normal car, no more boat ride ^_^ I am so impressed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8069502128
Any Q's, just ask.
Even with 5/32" on the tires, this car still climbs up a hill on a muddy trail!
98 Legacy GT
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

2000 rs springs will fit into 1992 turbo struts right?

legacy turbo S................132..........0"...............132...........0"
impreza 2.5 RS S............157..........1".............. 149...........1"
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

I've cleaned up the front page and added a little more info.

I'd really appreciate if someone could modify it to deal with the 04-05 differences, because im not really current on that stuff anymore.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

The documentation is impressive. +++

However, there is something exceptional in the table of spring rates.

Most examples show stiffer rates at the front, and lower rates at the rear.
Some show equal rates.

The Legacy Wagons show lower rates front--that's for OEM, but springs from Whiteline, Prodrive, and DMS for the wagon show stiffer rates at the front.

My twgn now has the 225 fronts and 180 back and it works.

Before this, when jumping up and down on the bumpers the rear was very much softer that the front.

Perhaps the OEM data for the wagons has been transposed. :?:
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I doubt that. Spring rates themselves don't tell the whole story. There's no info about preload on any springs. And probably the most important thing, springs must be properly matched to the damper, or it will feel less than optimum.

Another thing to think about is that most of those spring rates are for Impreza cars, not Legacy cars
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

who modifies wagons? :-D

yeah, the preload isn't listed, and the progressive spring rates don't tell you much about how the spring rides. I've never quite understood why the wagons have so much stiffer factory springs and have never taken one apart to check it out, since it doesnt affect me. There should probably be a disclaimer that the chart is only half the story, meh.

As far as softer rear springs working well, it all depends on what else is going on with the other variables. Although really, i think 80% of the people who swap suspension parts can't tell a difference beyond 'its stiffer.'
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stiffer springs in the rear on the wagons is also a function of load carrying capacity. I would assume the factory was anticipating that the wagons would be more loaded up then the sedans.

In regards to the whiteline spring thing....I know I've posted this before, but here my similar question, and their response

Josh
I'm curious to why the factory setup in general has a higher spring rate for the rears then the fronts, and the whiteline springs are backwards, higher rates in front, lower in the rear. Is this for performance, or is there some other reasoning behind it?

Wojtek (Whiteline Rep)
Forgive me for "cut'n'pasting", I've just answer this same question to Ciper from i-Club. Here's my answer;
"... There are a number of reasons why we have chosen our spring rates.

Firstly, we believe that the total spring rate of our springs is sufficient to hold the required weight.

Secondly, as these cars have a McPherson strut configuration front and rear, the approximate motion ratio is 0.9 : 1 on both, and a vehicle weight distribution of approximately 58% front / 42% rear. Our aim is to achieve similar spring frequency front and rear, or at least as in this case closer then factory. Hence, our springs are front disproportionaly stiffer then rear when compared to factory rates.

Once that is done, we use sway bars, wheel alignment and other means to fine tune the handling balance of the vehicle. ..."
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Scottzg

Only those who appreciate a real sleeper, can appreciate a modded wagon :-D
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Legacy777 wrote:whiteline rep stuff
makes sense to me.

People should remember that just because whiteline switches the rates, you shouldn't go and put on other subaru springs not from a Legacy wagon. Even though the spring rates are probably better, the ride height is still going to be messed up.
Last edited by jamal on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Subtle wrote:Only those who appreciate a real sleeper, can appreciate a modded wagon :-D
these people also appreciate those vanagons with the pop up roofs. :P
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Info about 2002 WRX suspension:

It gave me about a 1/2" lift in the front

Dunno about the back yet
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
spdracr
First Gear

Post by spdracr »

yeah, it says you can bolt up an 01 RS suspension but you cant, you will need the impreza front perches. damn i trusted the forums and was burned again. shoulda gone with my gut on this one..

92 legacy + 01 RS springs = need impreza front perches.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

wtf are you talking about, in my mind the words "01 impreza rs suspension" means not only springs, but struts and top strut mounts as well.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
spdracr
First Gear

Post by spdracr »

if you look at the chart in the FAQ it tells you if you'll need spring perches or tophats and what kind of drop you'll get with what setup. under the 93-01impreza section it states that you need nothing that it bolts up. so i took that for meaning the early gen legacy's used the same upper perches as the impreza's. but the legacy front springs do not taper so i had to get impreza upper perches. no big deal. its the same setup i'm runing on my 99outback.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Oh, I see. Yeah I can understand your confusion, its always good to by the suspension components as a whole when planning a swap like that.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
spdracr
First Gear

Post by spdracr »

oh yeah, but i trusted something i read on the internet. haha.. lesson learned.. the worst part is i wrote the FAQ on NASIOC about legacy+impreza suspension swaps. doh!
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

you get what you pay for...
spdracr
First Gear

Post by spdracr »

haha.. well, we are just here to help each other out. :) And now i can share with everyone else.

BTW the 01 rs suspension is pretty nice on a stock 92L sedan. I like it. and for $85 total its a huge upgrade.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

THAWA wrote:Some info to add. Tribeca sway bar 25/16 f/r. That front bar is a sweet upgrade assuming it fits.
Back to this, how about BD front swaybars? Should be about the same right? Does anyone know if the track/control arm the same?

I'm asking because LGTs apparantly have a 20mm front bar.

Well, seeing as how PDM-racing has the same whiteline part numbers from 90-99, I'm going with yes. So there's another option for a front bar.
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

What effect on ride height would putting the springs/struts from an SF forester on to a Legacy SS have?
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

It will raise it.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

By the way, Scott, you can edit your compendium if you want to include this info.

Unless a BC/BJ/BF owner wants to change to WRX GD/GG front control arms (and to do that, he/she must also change the front bushing to one from a BC/BF/BJ, or change the whole front crossmember to a WRX GD/GG crossmember), and get the appropriate front mounts of course...

...a WRX GD/GG front swaybar will NOT work. The swaybar mounts differently to the control arm on WRX GD/GG cars.

Your compendium is currently unsure whether this is true or not.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

subyluvr2212 wrote: ...a WRX GD/GG front swaybar will NOT work. The swaybar mounts differently to the control arm on WRX GD/GG cars.

Your compendium is currently unsure whether this is true or not.
Not all GD/GG swaybars mount the same way. I am pretty sure at least an 02-03 wagon bar will work. They use the same stamped steel arms as our cars but with the wider front bushing like you said.
Hairy_Harold
In Neutral

Post by Hairy_Harold »

Um how do you work out the tapered and non taperedness of the rear springs? In the whiteline catalogue it lists 2 sets of coils for thee rear one being with about 20mm difference id between top and bottom and one being with about 30mm difference top and bottom (if you want ot look it's 69 in the footnotes of there catalogue). I take it the less tapered one is being labeled teh non tapered spring?