Suspension Information Compendium -what fits, tuning info

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are pictures of the tapered rear springs.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... pring1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... pring2.jpg

I'm not sure I get your question, "how do you work out the tapered & non taperedness of the rear springs"

You should be able to look at the springs and see if they are tapered like in the picture, or are pretty much straight up and down.

Also, the top strut mount will be two pieces and look different then what's in the pictures if it's non-tapered.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

Alright, I want to make sure I've got everything I need before I tackle this. Everything I've got is from an '02 WRX. Front struts (complete), rear struts (no tophats), Springs (4). An Upper Spring Perch is the same as a tophat, correct?

The list said I might need a washer between the rear top nut and top mount. Do I need the washer?
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Just a quick question: In the compendium it lists the 2004 STi "Pink" springs -- are these referring to the JDM springs? I think so but I just wanted to verify. Thx!
'94 TW
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

93Leg-c wrote:Just a quick question: In the compendium it lists the 2004 STi "Pink" springs -- are these referring to the JDM springs? I think so but I just wanted to verify. Thx!
Actually, I would imgaine that it refers to the ones Subaru makes (under the STi nomenclature) as a performance-oriented stock replacement for the USDM '04 STi. ('05+ STi had a slight change in the suspension requiring a different "STI pink" spring to be made.) They are pink and color, lower the STi about an inch, and stiffen it up a fair amount. They are considered to be an "STI" part rather than an "SPT" part. (SPT= Subaru Performance Tuning...the watered down US version of STi).
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Noticed that the pic of a strut assembly was missing off the first page now. I happened to have a copy of it, so I'll post it. Maybe it'll make the thread less confusing for noobs.

SUBARUEHS Racing
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Good on ya. Thanks for that. I'm gonna edit the URL in the original post also to link to that picture.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

Can anyone confirm is '02 WRX suspension into '92 SS needs a washer between the rear top nut and top mount?
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

new swaybar time!
trying to keep the bodyroll down for autox.
i have kyb agx front and rear and intrax springs.
the kyb's are set to 2/4 up front and 7/8 in the rear.
what should i do as far as sway bars? whiteline 22f and 18-22r? which ones work for my 92 turbo sedan?
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

bmxkelowna wrote:new swaybar time!
trying to keep the bodyroll down for autox.
i have kyb agx front and rear and intrax springs.
the kyb's are set to 2/4 up front and 7/8 in the rear.
what should i do as far as sway bars? whiteline 22f and 18-22r? which ones work for my 92 turbo sedan?
You want to be more stiff up front. Assuming lower is more stiff, I think I'd lower the rear to 5/6 to balance it out a bit, and have the sways set at 22f/20r. It also depends on how you like the car to drive though.
DangerWagon
In Neutral

Post by DangerWagon »

I think I have read right. let see. The Rear sway bars can be replaced with white line adjustable bars. When I buy those, do I order for 93-01 or 02-current. Or are they made to fit both?
Just because my car looks a little beat up doesn't mean its fast.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

All non-sti Impreza rear bars have the same fitment and won't fit on a 1st gen legacy because of the spare tire well. I'll be trying to get one to fit fairly soon though.
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

a question about top hats. I am in the midst of buying parts for a suspension swap. am i right in the belief that if i make my suspension stiffer, i should get stiffer top hats or else my ride will bounce? if so what rear top hats will fit my car (i already have groupN's for the front)?
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

93-01 Impreza tops are the same as yours.
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

jamal wrote:93-01 Impreza tops are the same as yours.
groupN ones or stock impreza tops? I want the tops to have the same stiffness all around.
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I mean they're the same shape and fitment, so group N impreza tops are the ones you want.
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

jamal wrote:I mean they're the same shape and fitment, so group N impreza tops are the ones you want.
I sort of knew that before. so where could I find some 93-01 impreza groupN rear top hats because i only see 2002-2006 impreza group N top hats on subarugenuineparts.com.
Brent

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

klaxed wrote:I sort of knew that before. so where could I find some 93-01 impreza groupN rear top hats because i only see 2002-2006 impreza group N top hats on subarugenuineparts.com.
Dale Teague at Boxer4Racing.com has them.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

trying to reduce a little body roll...
already have full 02 wrx suspension, but after the past 100,000km car is feeling a little soft... anyone forsee any problem switching to 06 sti springs?
fitment issues anyone else tried this?

it's that or a set of 03 wrx eibach wagon springs.

first is nearly free $40, second is $150
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

after having read through this several times.
I'm wondering if we can't put together a table that shows what parts from which cars fit ours.

something with the chassis codes across the top row and our chassis codes on the side going down. we would just mark an X if it fits or leave it blank if it doesn't, a question mark if it's unknown.

preferably with a chart of the chassis code abbreviations too.
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

Bane wrote:trying to reduce a little body roll...
already have full 02 wrx suspension, but after the past 100,000km car is feeling a little soft... anyone forsee any problem switching to 06 sti springs?

I think the '04 STi springs are the only ones that will fit WRX struts...but I'm not sure that even those will. The softness you are feeling is likely due to mileage...these parts do wear out. If you like the way it felt when you first put it on, I'd just look for a newer replacement set. So you know, the Eibach springs and the STi springs are going to be very close in stiffness, and the Eibachs may even be a little more stiff than the stock STi springs.

Larger sway bars help quite a bit with body roll also.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Bane wrote:trying to reduce a little body roll...

Putting stiffer springs on those struts is the last thing you want to do.

those springs won't work with your strut tops and upper perches either.
rnljarvis
In Neutral

KYB struts on Legacy Turbo Wagon

Post by rnljarvis »

Hi, I'm a infrequent lurker here but I thought I'd pass on a little first-hand info...

The KYB GR-2 23065 / 23066 (front) and the 23069 / 23070 (rear) struts fit just fine on the Legacy Turbo wagon. I was concerned that there was not a specific application for wagons listed in the KYB 2006 application guide.

After a few months, I'm pleased. The ride is controlled, not harsh. Hardcore performance guys may find fault or want more dampening with lower, firmer springs, but for my stock turbo wagon and everyday driving, I'm completely satisfied.

Hope this info helps someone...
Ron Jarvis
94 Legacy Turbo Wagon
Richmond, VA
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

recently switched to GR-2's and i'm very happy with the results.
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Group N Top Mounts

Post by siouxbe »

Which Group N (STi) strut Top mounts will fit MY '91 Leg. N/A BF
wagon?
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
spdracr
First Gear

Post by spdracr »

does your wagon have tapered springs in the rear? if they are tapered you'll need 04+ STi rear tophats. if they are not tapered than you can use anything 92-2004 for any model subaru as they are all the same in the rear.