GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Re: GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATE

Post by robertpaige »

You'll probably get saggy butt especially in a wagon. Buy some Raceland Ultimos. They ride pretty good. Take them apart and lube them nicely with anti-seize and set pre-load right, clean the threads with a wire brush when you adjust them, and you won't have an issue with them seizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Thank you Robert, I did find that H&R specifies that their lowering spring is designed to work with both the WRX sedan and the WRX wagon. I also learned that Swift has springs specific to the WRX sedan and specific to the WRX wagon. Although the Swift springs only lower .60 of an inch. I'm not sure if the saggy butt comes from the spring, or if it comes from the location of the lower spring perch or if it comes from the rear strut mount / upper spring perch geometry. If anyone has had any success with lowering a wagon without using coil overs, I'd love to learn more.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I find that the spring will be center but with the way the car sits (wagon or sedan) it appears as if the rear end is lower than the front, because of the wheel wells being shaped differently. So to get rid of that, you would have to have a lower spring in the front vs in the back. I'm a coilover fan, as long as you take care of them they shouldn't give any hassle. And you have total adjustment over ride height, hell you could use them to lift the car if you needed to! I have always been disappointed with springs.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Well, true ride height isn't derived by measuring from the center of a hub to the top of the wheel arch, or from the lower edge of the rim to the top of the wheel arch because like you had said Subaru and other car makes use a lowered rear wheel arch. Rather, true ride height is the distance between the pinch weld on the rocker and the ground; then comparing distances at the front of the pinch weld and rear of the pinch weld and comparing left to right for even figures (distances).

I'm with you on that, Robert.

Now, what I do not know is if the people who speak of "saggy butt" are actually experiencing true "saggy butt" or is it just the difference in the height of the rear wheel arch ?

My Subaru is my daily driver. I do quite a bit of driving. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." I believe that, out of the box the Raceland is a pretty good coil over; given the price point. But I don't believe the Raceland coil over will stand the test of time. I've read that people love their Raceland's. I believe those people who love their Raceland's have less than 15,000 miles on them. I've also read reviews about people stating to spend a few bucks more and go for something better. I believe the people who give suck a review are those who have had their Raceland's for awhile. If this were a seasonal car for me, I'd probably go for the Raceland's. But since I really don't have the time to be constantly refreshing coil overs, my goal is to find a suspension that will lower my car and stay together and not loosen up. With a budge of about $1100. I run BC Racing "BR" series on my other car. I can honestly say, that for the "price" I like them. But I only have about 5,000 miles on them. Again, will they stand the test of time ? We shall see.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Agreed. The nice thing about Raceland is the 2 year warranty. If somehow they blow out, they'll send you new ones. I really like BC, they're an awesome company. You can call them and actually make a custom order, if you want different spring rates in the front vs the rear, top hats, etc. all for around $900.

Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

I've got ISC N1 coilovers on my 91 Sedan. I really like them. This is my 2nd winter with them, in some pretty harch conditions. At -25 and colder, everything is stiff (like today's -35 temps), and these coilovers set to the softest setting are tolerable. Once they warm up a little bit, it's great. I would definitely buy another set if I needed some for another car. At the pricepoint about the same as the BC's, it's another good option. They are rebuilt in the US also, about $65 each for full rebuild, if I remember correctly.

Here's my ride height at the first week with them on. 1 finger gap on all corners.

Last summer with summer wheels and tires.

Here's my current ride height for winter.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I'm currently shopping for coilovers. I might just go with BC Racing again. I like the Scion wheels. Very clever. I'm seeing a bunch of used coilovers for sale. I have mixed feelings about used coil overs. The used coil overs I'm looking at are Zeal, HKS, etc… Very respectable brands. Am I wrong for thinking of considering to buy used coilovers ? "If" I bought used coilovers, I'd make that decision assuming they are in need of something. But is it worth it to repair coilovers ? I have never had to buy individual parts for my BC coilovers. But, a friend of mine has had to buy parts for his ISC N1 coil overs, as his collars seized. And I do know that the parts for ISC coilovers are very reasonably priced. But, I'm not sure how the prices look for the higher end coil overs that are upward to $2500.00 a set, when new.

Dominator, thanks for the reply and the pics. I read a majority of your build tread about a month ago. I have no clue how you guys find the time for these massive projects. This type of work is pipe dream material for me. I'd need to get laid off from my job to do such work to my own car(s). I've already invested about (2) weeks just trying to find a good set of wheels for a fair price. With the understanding that "GOOD" is "very subjective."

Some completely reinvent their entire car in 2 weeks. I can't accomplish purchasing a wheel set in (2) weeks. GO ! ! ! ! ! me.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Thanks for the complement, it's been a fun project so far. The Scion wheels were a pain in the ass to fit. I feel like I haven't done nearly enough to it, haven't even installed the big ticket items I have purchased and are waiting to go on the car. I haven't had the time to give it lately either, so I totally hear you on that topic. It's my daily driver, so I can't have any down time with it. But I've been working on getting a back up car road worthy so I can get started revamping this one.

As for the used coilover question. I would check out the manufacturer first. If they still make that product, replacement parts should be available. Also, how much to rebuild them if needed. Used, you are getting a good price, but it may cost you more in the end with shipping overseas and rebuilding. What is the end result you are looking for; racing, daily driving comfort, slammed "show car" look? All these factors can help your decision making process. Check out NASIOC classifieds in your area. There could be good used deals to be had locally for the suspension and wheels you are looking for.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I have back up cars. I just don't have time for massive projects on my own vehicles. I only have (1) lift at my shop. And I can't tie up my life for weeks and weeks working on my own stuff. I know I see many of you guys tearing your cars apart in your front yards. If I did such a thing here in CT, the EPA and IRS would be investigating me PRONTO. Where I live everything has to be done within guidelines and regulations.

My Legacy is a daily driver. Which is why I wanted to go with Tockico D-spec struts and '03 WRX lowering springs. But, I'm in fear of the saggy butt, as I have a wagon and Robert concurs with me that I will probably end up with a saggy butt. And the very last thing I want is to drop $1100 on struts and springs and have a Legacy with its nose in the air.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Well, as a fix to the issue if it comes up, here's the solution that a lot of people use.
http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/sho ... t-spacers/
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

NICE ! ! ! ! I did see that people were talking about spring spacers (rubber blocks that go between the coil springs. But, heel if I could find a place that still carried them for my application. Besides I didn't really think that wedging crap between the coils was a very good solution. This, however, is a very good solution.

I'm trying to work with this other member on here, 'Nibbib." This member is selling a complete set of struts with Tein springs, '91 rear top hats and group N front mounts for $300.00. But, he's not interested in shipping. However he has had his items listed for nearly a month, and he seems pretty motivated to sell. Just very unmotivated to ship them.

I explained, that I'd be willing to pay his asking price for everything, minus the struts if he'd somehow be willing to ship. He could take the struts and do as he pleases with them.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Dominator wrote:I've got ISC N1 coilovers on my 91 Sedan. I really like them. This is my 2nd winter with them, in some pretty harch conditions. At -25 and colder, everything is stiff (like today's -35 temps), and these coilovers set to the softest setting are tolerable. Once they warm up a little bit, it's great. I would definitely buy another set if I needed some for another car. At the pricepoint about the same as the BC's, it's another good option. They are rebuilt in the US also, about $65 each for full rebuild, if I remember correctly.

Here's my ride height at the first week with them on. 1 finger gap on all corners.

Last summer with summer wheels and tires.

Here's my current ride height for winter.
So those coilovers were GC specific correct? Are they a direct fit?
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Yes, GC coilovers are a direct fit.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Yes, they bolted right in. I'm going to be removing the coilovers and installing a set of AGX with H&R springs soon. It seems the super cold temps up here were a little too harsh for the dampers in the coilovers. I need to send them off to be rebuilt as 2 of the 4 are clunking now.
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Will you then sell the coilovers?
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

I don't think so. Not done with them, just need to refurbish them.
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

So, my question that I haven't see answered 100%, (there is a lot of reading in this thread, so I may have missed it) but, do the stock 04-07 WRX springs on a 91 actually lower the car at all?
I want to use my 'stock' struts (which were replaced a few years ago), but I'm not sure if I should just use stock WRX or even STi springs from 04-07, or if I should buy a set of lowering springs.
I want to drop the car, wouldn't mind the height to be like Dominator's car above, but don't want coilvers.

Thanks!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 04-07 WRX springs may alter the ride height a little, but I don't think it will lower the car substantially.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

This is Nibbib's setup, I bought them locally from him. KYB's and Tein springs.

10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

Thanks for the reply Legacy777

robertpaige wrote:This is Nibbib's setup, I bought them locally from him. KYB's and Tein springs.

That looks perfect!
And, those will be the same wheels I'll be running.

So, are those 04-07 Tein springs?
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Nice. I have a 45 sidewall on my tires.

I have no idea what springs they are. I think they might be the s-tech ones or whatever. I cut one of the coils out of the front springs, and it maybe dropped it half an inch just to level it out a bit. I'm happy with it.
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

From what I can see, it looks like they would be the s-tech.
However, I just noticed you have a 94, so I believe you either have 90-91 rear top hats with 04-07 springs, or gc springs.

Your car sits perfect, hope to get mine that stance.
I'm also running 45 series tires as well.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I'm using GD WRX top hats, I drilled new holes. But yes you would need the 90-91 top hats to keep it simple.

10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

Mines a 91, so I should be good to go.
From what I can tell, I can just swap some 04-07 springs right into my current setup, without needing anything else.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Yep, you're right.