GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

OK, well this time I'm positive they will fit lol. I know because I have the 04 STI struts and springs installed on my 91 SS right now.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:OK, well this time I'm positive they will fit lol. I know because I have the 04 STI struts and springs installed on my 91 SS right now.
Awesome!! I will find some then!! I'm assuming I am right on the springs and such fitting the 04 struts?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

OK guys, quick question but I want to be SURE on this before I make a move...

I know the 05 WRX is 5x100 bolt pattern and I found a set of 05 WRX struts...

WILL THE 05 WRX STRUTS WORK???

CAN I USE THE 05 STI SPRINGS HOUSING ASSEMBLY (SPRINGS, TOPHATS) WITH THE 05 WRX STRUTS?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hey 07evolved, you're persistent, and I like that.

Bottom posts on this link from WTDash

Reason I posted the link is because Todd reported problems with the holes on his 05 rear struts. As for as the tophats & other parts, they should be matched to the springs if possible. Are the 05 STI springs tapered on the rear set?

I see you have a 91, but suspension wise it's the same as Todd's 90 I believe.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

mike-tracy wrote:Hey 07evolved, you're persistent, and I like that.

Bottom posts on this link from WTDash

Reason I posted the link is because Todd reported problems with the holes on his 05 rear struts. As for as the tophats & other parts, they should be matched to the springs if possible. Are the 05 STI springs tapered on the rear set?

I see you have a 91, but suspension wise it's the same as Todd's 90 I believe.
Thank you Mike...

Would an 06 WRX wagon strut be the same as an 05 WRX strut? If so, I could enlarge the two holes in the rear. I'm asking the guy with the 05 WRX struts to measure the distance between the two camber bolt holes...awaiting that info.

And yes, I do believe the 05 STi springs are tapered in the rear. I was just talking about using the 05 STi springs and tophats on the 05 WRX struts...
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hey, Jamal just posted to the next thread in this forum:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=42187

To be honest, he'd prob. be your best bet to find out your questions, as you're getting out of the realm that I know about from experience.

I'd try pm'ing him here or on the other website he frequents - sl-i.net
I just don't want to give you the wrong info and you buy the wrong stuff.

I DO know that wrx wagon suspension is different in the rear than sedan, if that's what you were getting at. I put 2004 WRX wagon suspension on my Impreza, made the car pretty much level (higher in the rear than stock)

Good luck.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Thanks Mike! I PMed him last night about my troubles and questions....

I found a set of 04 STi springs/struts complete...they will fit right up..correct?
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

hey now I spend a lot more time on here than sl-i

wrx wagon struts are better to use because they have a narrower track and your alignment will work out better.

the only struts that do not fit are the FRONT struts on the 05+ STi only. The hub mounting is larger. Everything else is the same.

All 04-07 wrx/sti/rs etc impreza springs are the same shape.

02-07 impreza rear upper strut mounts do not fit in the 1st gen legacy chassis. You should be able to use your stock 91 tops on the 04 suspension and it will bolt right up. There's nearly no preload on the rear springs so you likely won't even need a spring compressor.

One issue with 04 sti suspension is that it's 5 years old. The struts are inverted, and they have a tendency to start clunking due to a lack of lubrication between the insert and housing. Re-lubing makes the noise go away but when I took the 04 sti struts off my 93 the inserts were all scored up and would have made noise regardless of what I did.

Since the struts are inverted, they come apart, so I was able to buy newer sti struts and swap out the internals.

The other issue with sti suspension is that it is made for a car with a wider track so you will end up with a severe lack of negative camber and that is very very bad for grip. You'll want to slot the struts to gain more adjustment.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I had to use a spring compressor for mine.

Are you saying you should slot just the fronts and add more negative camber or both the front and rear? I have camber bolts in the rears, is that enough? How hard is it to slot them exactly? I have no drill press so it would have to be a crude mehod and it wouldn't be very acurate if I did it myself. It would be something like me taking an electric drill and a big bit and trying to grind the hole bigger by applying pressure to the side of the bit on the strut but that sucks.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

with rear camber bolts I get -1.1 degrees out of my sti struts.

up front I took a die grinder to the lower holes and am at -2.5.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

jamal wrote:hey now I spend a lot more time on here than sl-i

wrx wagon struts are better to use because they have a narrower track and your alignment will work out better.

the only struts that do not fit are the FRONT struts on the 05+ STi only. The hub mounting is larger. Everything else is the same.

All 04-07 wrx/sti/rs etc impreza springs are the same shape.

02-07 impreza rear upper strut mounts do not fit in the 1st gen legacy chassis. You should be able to use your stock 91 tops on the 04 suspension and it will bolt right up. There's nearly no preload on the rear springs so you likely won't even need a spring compressor.

One issue with 04 sti suspension is that it's 5 years old. The struts are inverted, and they have a tendency to start clunking due to a lack of lubrication between the insert and housing. Re-lubing makes the noise go away but when I took the 04 sti struts off my 93 the inserts were all scored up and would have made noise regardless of what I did.

Since the struts are inverted, they come apart, so I was able to buy newer sti struts and swap out the internals.

The other issue with sti suspension is that it is made for a car with a wider track so you will end up with a severe lack of negative camber and that is very very bad for grip. You'll want to slot the struts to gain more adjustment.
Thank you very much for getting back to me on this, Jamal.

I found a set of 05 WRX struts, so I think I will use those and put the 05 STi springs in them and then use my wagon tophats for a perfect fit. How does that sound?

I also have the option to have brand new Eibach springs put in the 05 WRX struts. Would that be better?

As far as the camber, what is a nominal setting? What you have?

Like you said, I won't have to worry about compressing the springs to make this work?
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd shoot for around -1.0 of negative camber.

Factory camber specs are relatively low...around -0.2 or so....I don't know the number off the top of my head.

Be careful with the springs. You may or may not need to compress them. However if there is any doubt, especially when disassembling, using a spring compressor. There is a lot of stored energy in a spring. It's better to be safe then get hurt.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

no you will need spring compressors. If you were to have just bought 04 sti parts and swapped over your rear tops you might not have needed one.

factory specs are something like:

-0.9 to 0.1 in the front
-1.9 to -0.9 in the rear

huge tolerance and not good for handling. Ideally you want more front camber than rear.

I have -2.5f -1.1 rear and it's the best alignment I've ever had.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is that because you slotted the rears too and used camber bolts in the rear?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

we are straying from the topic of this discussion, and I've explained exactly what is done to my car and how I've done my alignment in multiple other threads.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

those will probably work but u can get em for 20 at you local parts store
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Thank you RJ!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

got the 05 WRX struts today and I have an Eibach pro-kit for the springs. I plan to install on Friday. Wish me luck...
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Some questions I just thought of....

1) With the negative camber that I will have, would it be better for me to go with the Eibach kit since it is a "lowering kit" or go with the 05 STi stock springs? Which would be a better ride?

2) What type of and where should I get the camber bolts? Can I get some at my local auto parts store?

3) When I put all of this on....I plan to get my car aligned (obviously). Is it possible for me to adjust the camber or should I just wait to do it when I get my car aligned? (One of my buddy's will align it for me).

Thanks everyone!!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

nobody?
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

nobody can help?
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Gray Ghost
In Neutral

Re: GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATE

Post by Gray Ghost »

I have been searching and can't find a definitive answer. How much would stock '02/'03 WRX springs lower my '93 FWD L? Will it sit level or not?
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Gray Ghost wrote:I have been searching and can't find a definitive answer. How much would stock '02/'03 WRX springs lower my '93 FWD L? Will it sit level or not?
I can't speak for WRX springs, but stock 05 STi springs maybe lowered mine 0.5 inches...maybe. There isn't a lot of difference as far as height for mine.
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Gray Ghost
In Neutral

Post by Gray Ghost »

07Evolved wrote:
Gray Ghost wrote:I have been searching and can't find a definitive answer. How much would stock '02/'03 WRX springs lower my '93 FWD L? Will it sit level or not?
I can't speak for WRX springs, but stock 05 STi springs maybe lowered mine 0.5 inches...maybe. There isn't a lot of difference as far as height for mine.

Hmm...ok. Anyone with WRX springs? Want to know if it is worth the install trouble.