GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah those are the ones. Second gen so the strut tops are located properly in the tower on the center circle. Well, hopefully that will work.

I'm working on this thing at work that needs some stuff machined, so I'm sending my stuff to the same place. It's nice because now I know all the stuff that needs to be on the drawing with materials and finishes and tolerances and whatnot. So hopefully I'll have those in by next week.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

THAWA wrote:This is what scott says, however I can't find another set of 90-91 rear top mounts separate from the perches. I wish we could though. Or at least the part number for the perch.
FWD's have separate perches from the mounts, AWD's dont.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:
THAWA wrote:This is what scott says, however I can't find another set of 90-91 rear top mounts separate from the perches. I wish we could though. Or at least the part number for the perch.
FWD's have separate perches from the mounts, AWD's dont.
My FWD rear mounts, and the sti mounts I currently have are like the 90-91's in the picture. They're one piece, perch & mount together.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The diagram that Scott posted is the same diagram that my catalogue shows for FWDs. The AWD ones come up with the perch/mount combo that we're discussing.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Throw out a part number.

BTW, I updated the first post with ride heights, it would be cool if others would do the same.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I thought fwd mounts and perches aren't compatible with awd struts.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

jamal wrote:I thought fwd mounts and perches aren't compatible with awd struts.
top mounts are the same.

the front struts are the same.

the rears struts are different. the FWD rear strut is longer and attatches to the spindle where the CV axle resides on the AWD cars. the top hat is the same in the rear on FWD and AWD.

however it appears you can use AWD rear springs on FWD rear struts.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, I see what's going on here. My catalogue is a little screwy. It shows ALL 90-94 springs as tapered :roll:, so when it showed me 2WD struts, it showed me tapered springs, which made me think 90-91 :evil:

Hardy and Josh are right, the 90-91 strut mount setup is all the same, mount and perch are together.

I pulled the number for the metal spring perch, and the earliest production date for that number is 05/91, which would be a 92, hence the metal perches on non-tapered 92-94 Legacies :)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

sorry, im new to suspension systems, so excuse my newbieness. i just got done reading all this too, but got confused on some things... so here goes:

i bought some 04 STi eibach performance lowering springs that i was gonna put on my 90 legacy. i want newer struts also though, so, am i able to just use those springs and some 04+up RS/WRX/STi struts and not need anything else?

you guys were talking about some plate with a different bolt pattern, do i need that or is that just for 92-94 legacys to use the 04+ impreza stuff? thanks in advance!!
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Get struts for your car, for a 90 Legacy. GR2's or AGX's or whatever you like.

Then get front top hats for the 04 STi or whatever springs you're using. You'll need those for the front springs to fit.

You have a 90, so you have the tapered rear springs. 90-91 Legacies can use 04+ Impreza stuff without modification, and 92-94 Legacies can use 02-03 Impreza stuff without modification.

I'm assuming, from what others have said, in this thread and others, that 04+ STi rear springs are tapered also (my catalogue at work is gay and shows ALL Subaru springs as tapered, so I can't use that as reference :roll: ), so 04+ STi springs should fit in your stock strut mount. Hardy (THAWA) or Scott can confirm that for sure.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Project_Legacy wrote:i want newer struts also though, so, am i able to just use those springs and some 04+up RS/WRX/STi struts and not need anything else?
This is mostly correct. You can only use all 4 '04 STi struts, though, '05 STI front struts won't work. And you will need the front upper spring perch (aka tophat) because of different spring coil diameters. Re-use all of your stock top mounts unless you want to try to upgrade.

I would not recommend using stock struts with the new springs.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

so basically it would be this:

the 04 eibach springs
04 Struts
04 front tophats (edited)

thats all i need for that?

so you dont recommend any of those stock RS/WRX/STi struts for those springs? they aren't brand new, they were used for a little bit. i checked the eibach website, and they said that it should work with stock struts, but i think to get the best out of them, i need aftermarket.

i was looking towards the GR-2's, but on boxer4racing it was about $400 for all four. tirerack is about $375 without shipping, and thats special order. this is one of the reasons i was looking for some stockers... :(
Last edited by Project_Legacy on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I wouldn't use struts made for a 1990 Legacy Turbo with these springs. But I could be completely wrong.

Look for '04 STi or SPT strut take-offs on nasioc.com and other forums.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Brat4by4 wrote:I wouldn't use struts made for a 1990 Legacy Turbo with these springs. But I could be completely wrong.

Look for '04 STi or SPT strut take-offs on nasioc.com and other forums.
AGX's would be more then capable, and the GR2's would also probably fine as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Project_Legacy wrote:the 04 eibach springs
04 Struts
04 tophats
Only the front top hats. You need to use your original rear strut mounts (or new ones for your specific car).

Project_Legacy wrote:i was looking towards the GR-2's, but on boxer4racing it was about $400 for all four. tirerack is about $375 without shipping, and thats special order. this is one of the reasons i was looking for some stockers... :(
Stupid-ass Tire Rack. Order GR2's for a 93 Legacy. For some reason, the exact-same identical struts are like $20 cheaper a piece for 92-94 Legacies than for 90-91's...

There is absolutely no reason why you should pay more than $300 for 4 GR2's.

You can get them at Advance too...

I agree with Josh though, I think AGX's would suit you well. If you plan on doing some performance driving, you can just set them to their highest setting.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

thanks for clearing all that up everyone! i thought that 90-91 GR-2's are different than 92-94 GR-2's, and thats why its more expensive...

also, the reason i want to change my struts is because they are SHOT. the car has about 258,000 miles on it, and i dont think those struts have ever been changed. im not much into Auto-x or anything, if i was, i would definately get the AGX's, but all i will really be using the car for is a little bit of spirited driving here and there over the mountains. thats all.

So, i dont think i need AGX's. GR-2's might be nice, but i also want cheap, like stockers. thats what i am looking towards...
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Honestly, if you just wanna romp every once in a while, I would just go for the stock WRX springs, unless you already got the STi stuff.

You'd be able to get used WRX springs for practically nothing, and you'd still get performance benefits, and the car would still be liveable for a DD.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

well yea, i already bought those eibach springs..... so i mite as well try and use them right? i think im just going to find some 04 stockers. even if it isnt going to be that good, its gotta be better than what it is now.

thanks for all your help everyone! i will post results probably in a month or 2. in the process of trying to move...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Project_Legacy wrote:thanks for clearing all that up everyone! i thought that 90-91 GR-2's are different than 92-94 GR-2's, and thats why its more expensive...
They are technically different. The perch height is different, and the valving is different. However you can use the 92-94's on the 90-91's without any problems.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

if the 92-94 spring perches are higher in the rear, does it make the car sit higher?? i thought i read that somewhere here before.

i may just go this route now...

as for another question, if i were to get the 04 STi struts, would i be able to use the rear STi strut top mounts with those? i might as well get lower mileage ones.

you have all been very helpful to this suspension newb!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I don't recommend using the 04 rear tops. You'll have to file out the holes and that might leave you with some cross camber. That's what happened to me.

Then I found that the center hole doesn't make that great of a reference point to locate the tops. I might still have some plates made though. They'll kind of be like new strut tower mounts that have a raised ring to fit in the center hole, with properly located holes for the strut tops. What you could do is just find some 91 tops. I think they might be a little soft for sti stuff though, especially if they're not new.

A guy at work is friends with someone who runs a machine shop and it sounds like they would be free.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Project_Legacy wrote:if the 92-94 spring perches are higher in the rear, does it make the car sit higher?? i thought i read that somewhere here before.
I posted the info after I talked with KYB
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... yb+fitment

The 92-94 spring perches are lower in the rear then the 90-91's.

However in the front, the 92-94 spring perches are 1/2 higher then the 90-91's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

If the Eibachs were made for an STi, then AGX's wouldn't be damped properly for the springs at any setting, GR2's would be way out of the question.

Also, if you're using those on any GD strut, your car will be so low it will handle like shit.

Pretty much those weren't a good spring to buy
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

THAWA wrote:If the Eibachs were made for an STi, then AGX's wouldn't be damped properly for the springs at any setting, GR2's would be way out of the question.
That's what I was thinking, and I'm also used to my 40mm inverted looking struts. I couldn't imagine putting the stock pencil shocks back on unless matched up with the stock spring.

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

THAWA wrote:Also, if you're using those on any GD strut, your car will be so low it will handle like shit.
He has a legacy turbo, I think he'll be ok. Mine stayed stock height with a full GD setup.