broken weld, need to identify

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dragonfire
In Neutral

broken weld, need to identify

Post by dragonfire »

This is a picture of a broken weld on a 93 legacy turbo. I have yet to see the car in person so wanted to know if anyone could tell me what I am looking at. Finding a welder is not an issue, but knowing what the hell is broken would be nice.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Are you referring to just left of that bolt head? If so, that's the front sway bar mount.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
dragonfire
In Neutral

Post by dragonfire »

No, actually if you look just right of center there is a rust spot on what looks like the engine carrier. A bit of rust behind a rounded v shape with weld all around it.
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

That looks like the motor mount bracket.... Has this car been run hard, or more power than stock??
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
dragonfire
In Neutral

Post by dragonfire »

Its the car listed in Nor Cal by kidwired for sale in the classified section of this forum. I am first in line to buy it and will be looking at it tommorow. 93 Turbo Sedan.

Dont know but it kinda looks like the carrier was smacked by something as the paint is scraped along the ridge line. Or it could be it was ran hard but he says in the ad...."NEVER Boosted"

I dunno, not toooo worried about it. Welding is easy. Just wanted to know what it was. Though I am suprised the weld would break before the mount itself. I think it was rallied and ground clearance became an issue at some point of ripping in the mountains. SMACK! Broken weld.
dragonfire
In Neutral

Post by dragonfire »

I picked up the car Saturday. What an excellent deal. The weld is actually not broken, but the paint around it chipped away. Though there is a dent in the carrier on the lip of it. Nothing to be too worried about. Just need new valve cover gaskets, radiator and the car is good to go!
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

Believe me I would have LOVED to rally this car :twisted:
it was so built for it!
A PO was reg'd in Placerville, I think it likely they hit something in the snow, slid onto a curb or something.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
dragonfire
In Neutral

Post by dragonfire »

Hey Chris, Thanks again. I will take very good care of this car!