Any cheap suspension replacement for 90legacyLS sedan?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacySE
In Neutral

Any cheap suspension replacement for 90legacyLS sedan?

Post by LegacySE »

Hey guys help me out... my old 1990 Legacy LS sedan's suspension is really crap, its floaty and i guess the shocks are giving me lots of rebound after hitting a pot hole. Any suggestions of a good replacement shocks and spring,such as the once from the turbo legacys?
I don't want to spend any more than $400-500u.s or $800cdn

Thx guys
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'd suggest getting a set of KYB GR2s. They'll fit right in place of your OEM shocks, and are a bit stiffer than stock. I've used them in both my '97 Legacy GT and my '93 Legacy Turbo with good results, although they seemed to work a bit nicer on the GT. I think that's because the GT had stiffer springs to start with. In any case, they're still great.

They ought to run you just under $300 for the set of four from the Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/).

Or, if you want to save a bit, try Sears. Right now they seem to be having all kinds of sales on Monroe shocks. My dad had them install new Monroe Sens-a-tracs in our '95 Honda Odyssey for something like $240 (they were giving a small discount on the shocks/struts and also a big discount on the labor or something).

But the GR2s would be my recommendation. They come with a lifetime guarantee too, although it's a pain to take advantage of it since you have to take the struts out and send them back.

It took me a couple of afternoons to install them; I think it took longer than it should have because of the freezing cold temperatures at the time.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, on rereading your post, I guess I didn't respond properly to your question, since it looks like you're asking about shock/spring combinations.

I don't know for sure, but I think the springs for the North American Legacy Turbo are the same as the naturally aspirated ones. The struts are stiffer and the anti-roll bars are stiffer.

The Tire Rack also has H&R or Eibach springs for your car, probably somewhere around $200-$250 for the set. They ought to go well with the GR2s, although even stiffer shocks might be helpful. They'd lower your car a little more than an inch, too.

I haven't changed my springs, though, so other people please chime in. :)
swelch23
In Neutral

Post by swelch23 »

I have a 91 legacy L and also want to upgrade my springs and shocks. I want to go a little bit lower. My front end seems high. What do you think about me just doing new springs or coil overs in the front. Are my back springs that triangle shape? I don't know what brand I would need to go with. I think whiteline has springs for the 91? Anyone know?
Spence
91 Legacy L 4WD
Custom 2.25 Exhaust, Cone Filter
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've run both the monroes & currently have the KYB GR2's. I'd highly recommend the GR2's. The monroes are crap.

The GR2's should be around $70 a piece....or a little less....depending on where you get them from.

Springs, if you have the tapered springs in the rear, the only replacements would be whitelines. However people have boughten the fatter rear top mounts and just put the fatter/more common springs on as well.

Springs should run you about $200-$240 again, depending on where you get them, and what you get.

Do not put just front springs on. Same goes for struts, do not do just front or rear struts. Do all four! It will severely mess with the balance and suspension geometry. I speak from experience.

If you want lowering springs for the look alone.....IMO you're getting them for the wrong reasons.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

LegacySE -
You probably don't need new springs. I know your floaty feeling - it's just because your shocks are worn out. Replace the shocks with Gr2's like everyone recommends and you will be very happy.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'll second that. Install GR2s and see if you're satisfied, and if your car still doesn't perform to your requirements, you can consider springs.

It's a lot quicker to swap struts when you're not swapping springs, since you can leave the springs compressed and transfer them from your old struts to your new ones.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

vrg3 wrote:The Tire Rack also has H&R or Eibach springs for your car
Legacy777 wrote:Springs, if you have the tapered springs in the rear, the only replacements would be whitelines.
You're right, Whitelines are the only tapered ones, the H&R's are non-tapered springs, which will not fit the 90-91's without different top mounts.

Now, if any of you guys want a set of H&R's, I'll sell my never-been-used set to you for $150 plus shipping, $75 off Tire Rack and they're still new.

If you have tapered springs, you're gonna hafta get top mounts, Legacy777 recommends that you get STi top mounts from Adam at Z1 Performance www.Z1auto.com

You could get 94 Legacy top mounts, but the STi's will reduce the bounciness commonly associated with lowering springs...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LegacySE
In Neutral

Post by LegacySE »

The KYB GR-2 Struts sounds good and i don't need the lowered look, but i'm not too sure if i can get it for $70US dollars here in Toronto Ontario, Canada.

Oh.. and the stock springs I don't need to replace? I had 150k on this legacy.

Forgot to mention, thanks for giving me information guys.
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Want some used stuff?

Want to keep the cost down - I may have the answer..

Anyway - come and visit http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com

Mostly WRX guys, but a few of us Legacy Lovers...
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Forgot sumthin... Is yours 4WD? Because the H&R springs only fit 4WD's...or so they say...does anyone know if you can get those to fit 2WD's?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Springs are not 4wd or 2wd specific.

The problem is tapered or not. SOA screwed up. The rest of the world got "normal" springs on the 4wd models and tapered on the 2wd models. We got tapered on the 4wd models for some years.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

how about WRX struts? I've heard GC8 stuff fits our cars. so does that rule out WRX sedan struts? anyone know for sure?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I wouldn't mess with WRX stuff......you hear of people puttin 2.5 KYB's on the WRX....but I have no idea what issues that brings up, or what problems may arise.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Austin
In Neutral

Post by Austin »

As far as WRX stuff...

I just installed stock front stock MY02 WRX struts on my 91 legacy turbo sedan. I used STi GpN strut tops (for GD, but the bolt pattern is the same) that I had lying around, but I didn't have a spare set of front upper spring perches, so I had to use stock 91 legacy springs.

I've ordered a set of MY02 wrx upper spring perches (about $10 from subaruparts.com), and then I'll put a set of STi V7 springs on that I have lying around.

WRX struts are fairly soft compared to the STi V7 struts I have and compared to my DMS 40's and 50's, but my legacy struts were *so* blown! One front strut was so blown the piston would fall down into the housing just from it's own weight!

The strut housings look very similar - my alignment eyeball says I'll be OK - but I'll still do a garage alignment after I'm done to get some more exact figures...

The only thing not "bolt on" about wrx struts is the brake line bracket - but that's nothing a couple zip ties can't take care of.

Now I'm back out there to swap out the rear struts.
91 Turbo Legacy Sedan 5MT
02 Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT
02 Legacy Sedan 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think you'll find the rears to be different.....possibly to the point of them not working.

The fronts are pretty much all the same amoung all newer gen subies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Austin
In Neutral

Post by Austin »

The rears are definitely different. The top mounts use the GC bolt pattern, the top mounts themselves (and the upper spring perch) are different than either GD or GC.

The lower strut mounting bracket is different also. The physical size of the strut is the same (length), and both brackets are welded flush with the bottom of the strut, but the bolt holes end up being about 1/2" lower in relation to the strut body with the GD strut.

I've had to use a set of GD STi GpN rear top mounts with a DMS GC/GD adapter plate, and I went ahead and put STi V7 springs in the rear. The adapter plate shifts the position of the top mount (the bolts are offset), which shifts the position/angle of the angled spring perch. No problem - I used the LH mount on the RH side, which allowed the proper angle for the spring perch in relation to the spring.

I haven't lowered the car yet, so I don't know how ride heights/alignment settings are going to change - that's still to come.

Both of my rear struts were complety blown and gooey. They lost all their magic go-fast oil :lol: . One of the OE legacy top mounts was busted apart also.
91 Turbo Legacy Sedan 5MT
02 Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT
02 Legacy Sedan 5MT