BC-BF handling versus new/GDA Impreza

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

BC-BF handling versus new/GDA Impreza

Post by IggDawg »

I looked at the skidpad and they were pretty close stock. I thin kthe Legacy SS got around 0.82G and the new WRXs get 0.85 stock. how about with mods? with GR-2s or AGXs all around and a nice set of springs, how well do our cars contend?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Honestly.....it all depends on the setup. I've ridden in one mean WRX. It might has well been on rails.

But he had more in his suspension then I do, or any other BC/BF I've ridden in.

Overall the new WRX chassis is super stiff compared to ours.

I think with common springs/struts/sway bar sizes/& tires the WRX would probably pull a better number on the skid pad......but that's not to say the legacy will feel more stable under turns and such......or vice versa.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

This is not necessarily directly related, but I think our cars have better weight balance than the Imprezas... We're maybe a little better than 55/45 while the Imprezas are closer to 65/35 I think.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

This is not necessarily directly related
Actually, this is related to the performance of a car . . . I would have to say in a more real world sense, than skidpad numbers, IMHO.

Weight distribution will determine how the car will maneuver in transitions (multiple turns in sequence). Typically in a slalom type course, a car with a better F/R weight distribution (closer to equal) will be able to negotiate the course better than a car with unequal distributions, all else being equal.

For me, I autocross fairly frequently, and in those courses there are both long sweepers (better suited for cars with high skidpad g's) and s-turns (better suited for cars with better weight distributions). These are generalizations, mind you.

That being said, it's really hard to say which car will handle better with given mods, as both skidpad g's and weight distribution both have their merits WRT handling. Like Legacy777 stated, the wrx also has a stiffer chassis, which likewise has it's positive effects on handling.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

IC. That all makes sense. I have a GDA style Impreza TS, and it is noticably stiffer around twisties. It has the rex springs and that just helped even more. The Legacy just seems to point better tho, despite the blown front struts :D . More roll for sure, but still it points wherever I want it. And it is certainly creakier. When I hear a creak or two under hard acceleration I pretend my engine is so powerful it's pulling the car apart :D .

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the spring rates for the BC/BFs? I asked this on i-club and nobody could come up with them (not that Impreza folk are particularly motivated to do so.)

But yeah. I like my Legacy and I'm actually looking forward to rallycrossing her on the blown front struts. I think it'll be easier to get the weight forward for turning.

-IggDawg
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I posted some info on spring rates.....check out earlier in this forum.......however I can't say that the FSM's numbers looked all that correct for the turbo models. The n/a numbers look about right.

Replace your struts.....you will be astonished with how much better the car will handle. Trust me.....even if you just put GR2's on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

But yeah. I like my Legacy and I'm actually looking forward to rallycrossing her on the blown front struts. I think it'll be easier to get the weight forward for turning.
Oh boy! :D I BET you'll get that weight forward! I rallycrossed several times on shocks that had already seen 100k miles and the car was flopping like a fish. With the shocks basically out of comssion, the only way the car could jump out of ruts or potholes (at speed) was to bounce off the bump stops. Even worse, the exhaust manifold and heat shields ate dirt and rocks on harsher courses - leaving some scars and lots of rattling. You can be like me, but that's usually not a good idea.

Actually, that setup might be fun to try once. With a stiff rear and a soft front, I bet a little flick-move would be all it took to cause mad oversteer![/quote]
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I made a huge post with a table of spring rates and all that great stuff, but my stupid dial-up connection at home ate it :rolleyes: . anyways, our spring rates are comparable to WRX spring rates. sorta. WRX wagon springs are best for the sedan, and WRX springs don't ahve nearly enough support in the rear for the wagon.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I thought that our front spring rates were a bit less than the WRXs while our rear ones were quite a bit higher... I seem to remember something like my car ('93 Legacy Turbo 5-speed sedan) being 134/134 and the 2002 WRX 5-speed sedan being 163/119.

I have two sets of WRX springs... I was having silly thoughts of trying to maybe get four WRX front top hats and put WRX front springs on all four corners of my car. The rear top hats would have the rotatable bearings in them, so I guess my rear toe would be variable. Passive rear-wheel steering, anyone?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, on rereading my post I see that I confused which springs had a bigger difference. But still...

Yes, the factory service manual lists no difference between spring rates for the turbo and naturally aspirated Legacies. Is it possible that the difference in ride height and damping between the two cars is accomplished entirely by using different struts?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Couple things.......The impreza is a lighter car......regardless of what model/year.......putting impreza springs on may not be the best choice......unless you get some good aftermarket with higher spring rates.

The whitelines I have on my car are 190 front 180 rear I think.....they're somewhere around there.

As for the FSM saying the spring rates are the same.....it's probably wrong......I still can't believe how many errors is in that damn thing. It's horrible!!!

Only way to get correct info is to buy a set from a subie mechanic that updated the info once it was made available. Even then, things get overlooked.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Pulling form memory, I'll try to post some spring rates. IIRC the Liberty springs were 18% stiffer in front and 3% stiffer in the rear. I'm going to assume this is consistant with USDM legacy spring rates, since the leg turbo gets .82 on the skidpad and the L & LS both get around .78. so,

Legacy L & LS Sedan- 134/134
Legacy Turbo Sedan- 158/138
Legacy L & LS Wagon- 134/190 (!)
Legacy Turbo Wagon- 158/196 (!!)

WRX Sedan - 163/119
WRX Wagon - 163/144 (IIRC)

So there it is as I recall. The Impreza 2.5 RS springs are a little softer than the legacy turbos and WRXs. Some of my numbers might be off. I was wrong once back in '82 so it could happen again.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I'm going to assume this is consistant with USDM legacy spring rates, since the leg turbo gets .82 on the skidpad and the L & LS both get around .78.
Not to rain on your parade, but didn't the N/A models also come with 185/70/14s rather than 195/60/15s? . . . Not sure how much that would matter since both models got crappy tires!!

Hehe, useless post . . . I know :roll:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Check out this thread http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=45

And the info at least for my car is
F: 123 lb/in
R: 129 lb/in
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

IggDawg wrote:...and the L & LS both get around .78.
Any difference between 2WD and 4WD?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:
IggDawg wrote:...and the L & LS both get around .78.
Any difference between 2WD and 4WD?
probably.....I would think the AWD would get a little better.....but ya never know....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

From what I understand, AWD with an open front diff tends more towards understeer. But I could be wrong on that.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well you essentually have this with a FWD.....and no rear power to help with the understeer......so I think it would handle similarly....if not worse then an AWD.....but ya never know
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT