KYB GR2 + 05 STI Springs

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

KYB GR2 + 05 STI Springs

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm thinking about buying 4 KYB GR2 struts brand new for $292 shipped along with some Intrax lowering springs for my 91 SS.

Says it lowers the car 1.5" front and rear. Should I buy these springs or should I consider another brand? They're $220 vs $350 for H&R springs. Will I need anything else like the camber bolts to get it all installed and have a shop get it aligned right?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 4294839061

Kimo
Last edited by kimokalihi on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found the H&R springs on ebay for $260 shipped but it says 90-98 legacy and I know the springs are not the same for all those years. The 90-91 are not the same in the rear as the 92-94 and I have no idea about the 95-98 springs.

That worries me that they are saying it's going to fit all those years.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I checked H&R's website and the part number from the ebay auction was the right one so I bought them and the KYB GR2 struts.

Do I need the camber bolts?
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Concerning the springs - Are the Intrax springs that you are looking at for the Legacy specifically? I've got a set from an 02-03 WRX on my Legacy and the drop for that car is 1.5"(F)/1.3"(R)

The Legacy sits EVEN off the ground front to back but it IS "dumped"! I had to roll the fenders in the front but it's sitting on 17" factory 2006 Impreza 5-spokes and tires.

I may be switching to a set of 2004 STi takes-offs in the next few weeks. It will raise it up a bit but handle much better I'm sure.

The GR2s sound like a nice upgrade.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just paid for a set of 05 sti springs and front perches on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0300246206

Those will be going on my car as soon as I get them with those brand new GR2 struts. Hopefully it sits at a good height with those springs. It's got stock 16" ss wheels so I doubt it will rub at all.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I need to verify something. Will the 05 STI springs fit a 91 legacy SS with KYB GR2 struts?

I was just told they won't yet I've seen threads stating that 04+ sti springs fit as long as you use the perches from the sti springs. I have the springs now and the perches and after searching I saw another thread that said something about how you'll need different rear top hats for 05 sti springs. I have 93 top hats too that I got from the junkyard.

Please tell me if these springs are going to work on my 91 ss. I'm getting really fed up with this whole mess. It's almost getting to the point where I'm just going to sell all the suspension shit I have and buy some AGX coilovers or whatever for an impreza.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Re: KYB GR2 + Intrax Springs

Post by 94SS_Canada »

kimokalihi wrote:I'm thinking about buying 4 KYB GR2 struts brand new for $292 shipped along with some Intrax lowering springs for my 91 SS.

Says it lowers the car 1.5" front and rear. Should I buy these springs or should I consider another brand? They're $220 vs $350 for H&R springs. Will I need anything else like the camber bolts to get it all installed and have a shop get it aligned right?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 4294839061

Kimo
Go to ebay, i got my struts to my Door in Canada for 200 odd dollars, at that price upgrade to the AGX's.
FastRust
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is there a significant difference between AGX and KYB GR2s? I have the brand new KYB GR2s off ebay already. Should I sell them for AGX?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

These are the AGX struts we're talking about right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-AGX- ... 0293582264

$454 shipped. That's a lot more than the GR2s.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think I've come across a new problem. Today I finally got off my ass and went out in the garage and started putting the suspension together and got one front strut and spring in.

Then I decided to do the rears next because they were already out and I didn't feel like removing the other front one today.

This is when I came across a potentional problem. The STI spring is much shorter than the stock spring in the rear. I'd say 3 inches or so. So now the GR2 with the STI spring on it is higher than the spring. In other words, the strut pokes way out above the spring and even with the top hat(stock from the legacy)bolted to the strut shaft the spring is still really loose and not even in contact with the tophat!

Is that going to work or am I screwed here? Will it work if the spring is completely loose? Will the weight of the car hold the spring tightly in place? What if I hit a pothole or something, is the spring going to come loose again when the suspension maxes out and rattle all over the place?

This sucks.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

You could run it, and it may never be a problem, the anti roll bar and the rebound damper in the strut would keep the spring compressed inside the strut assembly. That's not to say its a good idea. A good bump that unloads both wheels at the same time could unseat the spring and at best destroy your struts and at worse cause you to lose control.

FWIW, what's going on is that the sti has pretty much linear springs, so at a given travel and ride height and preload the spring has to be a certain free length. The sti struts are built around the spring length. to make the same spring rate through the travel for your longer travel struts they have to use a progressive spring to fill up that extra travel.

If it were me, i would be bummed that my stuff isn't gonna bolt together, but happy that i won't be pairing a stiff spring with a damper designed for a soft spring. It'd corner amazing at low speeds though.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

My rear springs (04 wrx w/ GR2's) had a little play in them as well. I've been driving around for a few months now with this setup, and I haven't heard any noises coming from the back.
I also held the springs into place, made sure they were on their perches correctly before setting the car down.
Once I let the car off the stands, I manually tried wiggling the springs within the struts, and just as I figured, the weight of the car compressed them down enough to where they would hold them tight.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's all good I wasn't going to risk it. I bought those STI struts and springs from the parts shed here and they're in the car and fit great.

I have no engine in the car yet so I can't tell you how they perform but they look great and I'm lovin the ride height.