Right front supposed to sit higher than left front?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dsc
In Neutral

Right front supposed to sit higher than left front?

Post by dsc »

I just replaced the air suspension on my 1994 Legacy Wagon with a standard suspension. The struts are new, everything else came from a junk yard. Now the right front sits about an inch higher than the left front. The guy at the alignment shop says that he checked and found out that it is supposed to be that way, which seems crazy to me. Does anyone know Subaru's specs for the ride height on this car? Do you think my junk yard springs might be mismatched?
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Were the suspension setups pulled from the same car?

I've never heard of THAT much difference between the two sides. :shock:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
dsc
In Neutral

Post by dsc »

The guy at the junk yard said that the rears came from one car and the fronts came from another. To my eye, the LF, LR, and RR look normal. The wheel arch on the RF looks too high to me. If I can't figure it out, I will probably just get 2 new springs for the front. They are not that expensive.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I had a somewhat similar issue with my whitelines, but in the rear. The difference is about 6mm. The front has a difference of 2mm.

It's not very noticable.....but if you are nit-picky you can see the 6mm difference.....the only way to see the 2mm difference is to measure it....and even then you can possible get some error.

I was told by the whiteline tech, that my differences between left & right were normal & within spec. He said OEM factory setups usually have more. According to the Factory manuals, they allow +/- 10 mm from their given measurement.

I wouldn't say it's normal for the right side to be higher....but it may be normal to have some variation between left & right.

BTW....if you are measuring......you measure from the center of the hub of the wheel to the fender lip.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dsc
In Neutral

Post by dsc »

On my lunch break today I got the car back from the alignment shop and drove it around some. It feels fine, and the difference between LF and RF seems to be less than when I first let it down off the jack stands last night. I measured from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch and found a difference of 3/8", which is about 9.5 mm, so I guess I should leave well enough alone. Of course, leaving it alone will drive me crazy.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well....if you do get different springs.....then you will have to take everything apart again, and have it re-aligned.......so it's up to you.....but yeah....I know what you mean about it drivin ya nuts if you leave it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm