Faster Steering?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

race_to_live
First Gear

Faster Steering?

Post by race_to_live »

Is there someone that makes a quicker steering gear for the leggies?
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

There are various threads which have come to the conclusion that the turbo (and maybe NA?) racks are the quickest out there -- even faster than the WRX.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
SPUMONI_RT
First Gear

Post by SPUMONI_RT »

You can add new bushings that may help it won't make it faster though.
-Spumoni-
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

WRX power steering workd rediculously well
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

dunno how you would go about fitting one of these into the engine bay.
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/steer4.htm
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

206er wrote:dunno how you would go about fitting one of these into the engine bay.
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/steer4.htm
yup. This is the way to go. All other "quick" steering options are over 750 dollars. Many rally cars are using the Howe quickener as a solution.http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspensio ... olumn.html
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Moved to Suspension.

The only Subaru steering rack with a quicker ratio than ours is the STi.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

wow that is neat.
how similar is our steering to the wrx steering?
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

they're all pretty slow. an sti is what, just over 15:1 or something?

how I would love a 13:1 group n or q-rack, but if I'm going to spend a grand on something it will be wheels and tires.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

just put an 8 ball on your steering wheel!!!! i drove a stock ford taurus the other day with a ball on the steering wheel... holy shit was it ever fun. you only need one hand to steer so the other can be workin the handbrake or setting the radio or holdin a drink.

and it doesnt make you steering faster but it takes way less effort to turn the wheel so its like its faster. i over steered accedentaly lots of times at first.

i've been looking for one for my car but they seem to be illegal??

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

The Howe racing steering quickener is a 1.5:1 ratio quickener. So our steering becomes around 11:1 or another way of looking at it, from the stock 3.3 turns lock to lock becomes 2.2. And it's only $150. But then if you don't have the mech ability to remove your own rack, cut it, weld in the unit, and get it all back together it becomes a custom job $$$.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

mexicanzero wrote:just put an 8 ball on your steering wheel!!!! i drove a stock ford taurus the other day with a ball on the steering wheel... holy shit was it ever fun. you only need one hand to steer so the other can be workin the handbrake or setting the radio or holdin a drink.

and it doesnt make you steering faster but it takes way less effort to turn the wheel so its like its faster. i over steered accedentaly lots of times at first.

-Alex
They are a great way to break your wrist when you hit something.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

brand wrote:
mexicanzero wrote:just put an 8 ball on your steering wheel!!!! i drove a stock ford taurus the other day with a ball on the steering wheel... holy shit was it ever fun. you only need one hand to steer so the other can be workin the handbrake or setting the radio or holdin a drink.

-Alex
you can break a lot of other things running your car into stuff too...
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

biggreen96 wrote:The Howe racing steering quickener is a 1.5:1 ratio quickener. So our steering becomes around 11:1 or another way of looking at it, from the stock 3.3 turns lock to lock becomes 2.2. And it's only $150. But then if you don't have the mech ability to remove your own rack, cut it, weld in the unit, and get it all back together it becomes a custom job $$$.
i dont think it would be too expensive if you were able to measure and cut the sleeves to fit then have them welded together. very slick how crucial racing installed that onto the steering column.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

brand wrote:

-Alex

how would it break your wrist, its just a ball unless you got a death grip on it it would just slip out of your hand, wouldnt it?

back on topic that howie thing looks cool, the idea behind it is genius too bad its not easier to install...

whats the need for quicker steering anyways? rally car? i drive alot of cars everyday and only the sportiest most expensive ones have steering that is quicker and better than my good old ss. i like the feel of it its not like the new gm's where the wheel is as light as paper and you feel completely disconnected from the road. and after the suspension work i've done on my car it doesnt take much turning of the wheel to get the car to go around a sharp corner.

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Yeah rally, and other motorsports. Just makes it so you don't need to shuffle the wheel when doing tight turns or recovering a slide where you get really sideways. It would be really be a good upgrade for autocrossing. Drift guys swear by them.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

rallycross, autocross, driving up to snowboard, scare the girlfriend...everything. i was just wondering because i drive dirt sprint cars and the steering from lock to lock is like 1 turn haha. i just want a racecar feel in my dd.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

The Howe requires a GM spline U-joint or coupler. Can it still be welded onto the Legacy steering unit?

I know q-rack makes a quick steering kit for wrx's (I think the quickest ratio was 11.5:1 IIRC). I had emailed them awhile back and they said it will work for the Legacies. But as jamal indicated, it costs over $1k.
'94 TW
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

race_to_live wrote:rallycross, autocross, driving up to snowboard, scare the girlfriend...everything. i was just wondering because i drive dirt sprint cars and the steering from lock to lock is like 1 turn haha. i just want a racecar feel in my dd.
wow 1 turn lock to lock! i cant even imagine that!! no wait maybe i can, sweet...
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

jamal wrote:they're all pretty slow. an sti is what, just over 15:1 or something?
Yeah, the STi is 15:1.

Ours is 16:1. Everything else is 16.5:1 or higher... including the WRX or Legacy 2.5GT. The Forester is something like 18:1 I think... which makes sense considering it's supposed to be the most off-road-capable Subaru.

Yeah, jamal, I hate to say it, but I thought my Legacy had pretty responsive steering with a brand-new OEM rack, Whiteline bushings, and a smaller JDM Momo steering wheel...

... but it feels downright slow compared to my Fit. It's 12.8:1 :shock:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LostinMaine
In Neutral

Post by LostinMaine »

yeah one turn lock to lock is about all it take in my formula vee as well.

this looks like a cool product that i might consider putting into my SS once i get a few more important things sorted out for rally-x/auto-x duty.

the only problem i can for see with this is i have heard from several people that quick action in the steering during auto-x has caused the rack to cavitate and create a momentary loss in power steering, i think this may exaggerate that problem
Co Founder of MaineSubies.com

91 SS, in need of some major TLC (work in progress)

Im lost in Maine, but ill find my way out eventually
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

go to...

speedwaymotors.com and search for steering stuff.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I was just thinking about this today when it took me a half turn to go through the slight curve in my parking lot. Looks like 16:1 is 3 turns lock to lock though, which is pretty quick...

I was kinda hoping there'd be something quicker though, oh well, probably wouldn't have been able to afford it right now anyway.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Probably safest to alter the geometry somehow.If you moved the tie rod connection closer to the hub you would change the steer ratio without having some weird gearbox connected to your steering shaft.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

gijonas wrote:Probably safest to alter the geometry somehow.If you moved the tie rod connection closer to the hub you would change the steer ratio without having some weird gearbox connected to your steering shaft.
there's a perrin part that does exactly that. Not sure if they'll ever sell it due to liability concerns, but we have a set at the shop.

L and E sells columns with a quickener already installed, and some other guy just recently installed his own:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1734365