Sigh, I broke a HD control arm/lateral link. No I didnt hit

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Sigh, I broke a HD control arm/lateral link. No I didnt hit

Post by ciper »

Sucks for me. Not only is this my daily driver but I live 35 miles from work and Im moving this weekend.

Ill turn a bad into a good, how many of you drive hard enough to bust a lateral link under spirited driving 8)

Here is a good image of the MRT part I speak of

I would expect to get a free replacement. Is that too much tot ask? I purchased the items maybe 8 months ago at most. Other than a couple Auto/Rally cross events this car sees about 75 miles a day or about 2k miles a month.

Last weekend I was up driving spirited and on one hard turn (yeah Im even able to overstear with the correct speed and braking) I heard a BANG. I checked over and over and couldnt find it.

Starting this morning the car would randomly vibrate coming to a stop. It was a very severe vibration, made me think the car was falling apart! It got worse until I could drive more than 10mph without it happening.

I crawled under the car and basically touched every moving part. FINALLY found it.

What I think happened is that the spot where the "pipe" is welded to the bushing snapped, but only on one side. After driving it a few days the other thread of metal finally gave loose.

Im so bummed. I know my labor is lost but I hope I can get a replacement quick.

Heres a linke to the part http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/controlarms.htm

Do you guys think I just got a manufacturing defect? I cant imagine if this is a part meant for rally and my normal street driving broke it!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

email brett directly and see about getting a replacement.....or contact the MRT vendor where you bought it from.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Other then this issue, how well have those been working for you?

I was considering purchasing a set, but my local distributor told me they were having problems with the central locking system coming loose and the suspension settings not holding.

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Mine havnt moved, I never thought about them getting loose though. I think they are great. Couldnt you just turn the lock nuts so they are closer to the inside then apply threadlock to the outer threads and tighten them down?

I sent an email to a couple people but its still early so we will see.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Customer service isnt too bad from MRT I guess, I had them ship me a whole new set (at my cost) and they will refund me when I return the old parts.

I guess we will see.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Ill turn a bad into a good, how many of you drive hard enough to bust a lateral link under spirited driving
You have attained RALLY DRIVER status :twisted:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Does anyone local to me have a G-Tech that I could use for a little while? Im curious what types of forces I generate.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

My friend who works on BMWs has access to one. Let me know if you want to take it out sometime.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Has anyone tried the new Whiteline ones?

I know that they only list an Impreza application, but we know better don't we....

Anyone?
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Haven't even really heard about them?

I at some point will probably switch the rear links & anti-sway bar over to the new style. Depends on a lot of other things too :/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm