Car wandering?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Car wandering?

Post by ericem »

Hey guys, I am getting quiet frustrated as you could imagine, but when I am driving I am basically fighting the steering wheel as I drive it pulls everywhere! It is really horrible and I am seriously annoyed. I am all over the road like I am drunk.

Now, things I have done which made the problem so bad 17 wheels very low profile running runflat tires potenza re092. Things to help include, control arm transverse bushings, and check both wheels for play. Also has new struts there less then a year old GR2's. I have some new steering rack bushings, but I don't really think this could be the issue.

Any other suggestions? I still haven't even checked out the rear. Regardless the car still wanders and doesn't feel NEARLY as connected to the road as my friends 04 wrx with stock tires and rims.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
mike-tracy

Re: Car wandering?

Post by mike-tracy »

I'm replacing my ball joints as per Kleinkid's suggestion, should help.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Did you check the tie rods as well? Also, I don't know what wheels you have or the road conditions, but the wrong offset wheels could cause wandering on rutted roads.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you had an alignment? I'd start there if everything suspension-wise is good.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I replaced the passenger side ball joint. Going to do the driver side. I have some wrx top hats, and H R springs to install then I will go for alignment. Debating getting rear alignment bolts as well.

I checked both tie rods and found no play.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

you know i had this same issue with my 91ss. found out that the tranny was to blame. front diff was blown er somthin cause only one of the front wheels got power.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

How are your wheels bearings?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
DannycVR6
In Neutral

Post by DannycVR6 »

ever find the problem ive been dealing with this for over a year replaced every control arm, sway bar, trailing arm, ball joint, and steering rack bushings front and rear. replacing strut mounts now. still no fixes yet.
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

too much toe-in or toe-out will make a car dart on surface irregularities. is your car raised or lowered? excessive camber places load on tire edges and irregularities will distribute load causing a pull in the steering. to verify, is your tread wearing heavy on inside or outside edges? certain tread designs and low tire pressure can also cause this problem. what about rack and pinion wear? how much slop do you have in the steering wheel before the rack begins to move?
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

Mine did this when I put different offset rims on, tire and rims specs where the same just different offset.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I'm experiencing this mysterious wandering too. I have replaced the following components: Steering rack, front struts KYB GR-2's, front strut tops, rear struts (KYB GR-2's), rear strut tops, right front wheel bearing, front lower ball joints, front sway bar bushings, front sway bar links, front control arm bushings using Powerflex and Whiteline(both front and rear bushings on the front control arms were replaced), (4) tires Pirelli P4 185/70 R14. Alignment was done, everything comes into specification. Front end does sit 1" to 2" higher than it did before I installed the front struts (KYB GR-2's). I contacted KYB and gave them all sorts of hell, because my front end sits higher than it did with the old struts. They had nothing positive to say to me, other than the valving in the new GR-2's is stiffer than OEM. They had no comment on why my front end is sitting higher than it originally did. Since my front end is sitting higher, my camber is just barely in spec. It is on the boarderline of having excessive positive camber. Because the front end is jacked up the lower control arms are extending downward which tips the wheels, adding more positve camber. If my vehicle were sitting 2" lower my camber would be right in the sweet spot of the specified values. If I adjust the front camber, it goes further into the red. I have my front camber set as negative as I can adjust it, and I'm on the boarderline of having excessive positive camber. I wish I could toss a rock through the window of KYB.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not sure I have much input regarding the wandering. Have you tried putting the rear tires on the front & vice versa?

Regarding the KYB's, is this a 90-91 MY or a 92-94 MY Legacy?

This thread has some info I got from KYB several years back regarding the differences between the two, and why some experienced the jacked up front end effect.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17352
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Josh, thanks for the reply. I did come across the write up on the KYB struts. But is it not messed up of KYB to sell me struts for my '94 Legacy GT that have the lower spring perch welded in a different location than stock ? I am not the original owner of the car and a previous owner may have installed 90 - 91 struts up front. Even still, its not right that KYB changed the spring perch location from where Subaru has it set to be located, to match well with stock OEM springs. If KYB wants to change the lower spring perch location then, sell those struts with matching springs to go with the spring perch location change. I replaced all 4 tires with brand new Pirelli P4 185/70 R14.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I have no idea why KYB changed the perch location....it does seem rather ridiculous, and I never got an answer as to why it was done....

Wish I had some more or better info to tell you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Josh,

I appreciate anything you have for me. And I appreciate that "I think" we both agree that there is no reason to change a spring perch location, unless the company that changes the spring perch location designs and releases a spring kit specifically intended to work in conjunction with the newly redesigned strut with an updated spring perch location.

And I forgot to mention that I did replace the drivers side rack bushing with an OEM rack bushing, when I replaced the power steering rack. I have since bought the passenger side rack bushing, but have not installed that just yet. I probably won't be installing that bushing. Rather, I'm going to try to move to the Whiteline rack bushings.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Have you checked for play in the inner and outer tie rod ends? How about toe settings front and rear? Worn rear bushings (or any bushings, for that matter) can cause 'active' alignment issues, specifically to your situation, unwanted toe changes.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I have replaced the following components: Steering rack, front struts KYB GR-2's, front strut tops, rear struts (KYB GR-2's), rear strut tops, right front wheel bearing, front lower ball joints, front sway bar bushings, front sway bar links, front control arm bushings using Powerflex and Whiteline(both front and rear bushings on the front control arms were replaced), (4) tires Pirelli P4 185/70 R14. Alignment was done, everything comes into specification.

The power steering rack came with brand new inner tie rods. I did replace one outer tie rod end, because the boot on the ball joint split open. There was no play in the tie rod end when I replaced it. I also replaced the driver's side rack bushing.

Thank you for your reply beatersubi
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

beatersubi,

You'll have the most complete explanation for what I am experiencing after all of the work that I have done if you read my post from Dec. 19 at 9:43 pm. ...if you want to get a better understanding, as this is when I jumped into this conversation. I am having the "nose up" troubles, only after installing GR-2 struts in the front. I called KYB. They won't lift a finger to help me. They claim that they changed the valving to stiffen the front struts. While this may be true, they also changed the lower spring perch location. And they would not admit this to me which I find very shady.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Judging by the part numbers I was sold and comparing to the part numbers I'm seeing on Advance Auto Parts, I believe I was sold front and rear struts for a '91 - '92 Legacy. I originally bought my GR-2's from NAPA, and the part numbers were either incorrect in their catalog, or the counterman went full retard.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S