sti front alu control arms - now image where to grind

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Re: sti front alu control arms - now image where to grind

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

Looking at your posted pictures the sti aluminum control arm has a wider track then our legacy stock arm. I assume you used your stock axles? This probably means alot of tension was put on the axle when bolting it to the hub as it's shorter then sti axles.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

Yes it does have a slightly wider track width. Guess i am buying some STi axles...
91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

CV joints have a fair bit of play in them. I swapped my GC's rear suspension parts for GD WRX parts to bump the track width up by about an inch. I know it's not ideal, but I've been doing fine with the stock axles for around 20,000 miles.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

Yeah for me it only lasted ~300 miles on the track. Pretty sure it cost me a center diff also soo i will be getting STi axles
91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yikes. Maybe it's a bigger deal for the front axles than the rear. And, of course, I haven't been racing.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

vrg3 wrote:Yikes. Maybe it's a bigger deal for the front axles than the rear. And, of course, I haven't been racing.
Yeah we put about ~100 freeway miles on with no issues, even autocrossed it and there were fine. But it didnt seem to get along with the track. It was the front left that failed. Ill post pics later this week. One of the guys theorized that in a fast right to left that the axle unplung fast enough and that the resistance was enough to pull the axle out of the outer cup. Honestly it doesnt even look like anything besides the retaining clip failed...I dunno, figured i would share.

The car also has 05 WRX (non sti) rear suspension with the stock axles and had no issues, yet...
91 Legacy SS
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

Also, will STI front axles even work in a 91 legacy? Or would i need to change the front hubs....
91 Legacy SS
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

I ended up buying some front 2002 wrx axles and they seem to be the perfect length and drop right in. They are also on the beefer side. Haven't figured out what to do for the rears yet.
91 Legacy SS
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

LucyFord wrote:I ended up buying some front 2002 wrx axles and they seem to be the perfect length and drop right in. They are also on the beefer side. Haven't figured out what to do for the rears yet.
So i lied. They don't "drop right in" after freaking out after the car wouldnt move i realized the tone rings that are on the 2002 axles rub against the uprights and don't allow the car to move.

Also, it looks like the stock rear axles don't work. Our drivers side rear one continues to pop out. I need to figure out what year WRX rear axles will work...
91 Legacy SS
LucyFord
First Gear

Post by LucyFord »

Okay, here is another update. If you have done a 4.11 rear end swap the 2003 WRX axles should work. They are much longer then the legacy axles and slightly longer then the 2.5RS axles. Here is a pic below, the shinny new ones are the WRX ones.

NOTE: THE 2.5RS OR WRX AXLES WILL NOT WORK IN THE STOCK LEGACY DIFF ONLY IN THE 4.11 DIFF OUT OF THE 2.5RS. The retainer clip location is different.

See below

Last edited by LucyFord on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
91 Legacy SS
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Thanks, I ran into that problem a lot time ago with a guy who had an older drivetrain swapped into his wrx. Nice to see them all laid out together.