Best springs for Auto X

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subytech
Second Gear

Best springs for Auto X

Post by subytech »

So i'm 2 events in, am currently running 04 STi struts and springs and 17x7.5 rotas with 225/45R17 Hancook R-S3's. I've been hearing that subaru's are over damped for their respective springs, just wondering if anyone had any tips on what kind of springs would work best. I know I need better sway bars and i don't want to go to stiff, our parking lot is anyting but smooth and has a large sudden elevation change. I just want something that will match the struts better and I want to reduce my body roll. I deffinatly have twice the tire for my suspension at the moment :twisted: . And for that matter any other tips would be great (the cheaper the better...wedding in 3 weeks lol). Would love to get that 2nd place trophy(1st place is an evo IX with a decent bit more power, suspension and a good driver). Thanks!
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best springs for Auto X

Post by Legacy777 »

How do you drive? Are you looking for more rear end rotation, or front end grip? What do you feel is the lacking points in your current suspension? You mentioned you wanted better sway bars, but didn't necessarily mention that body roll is a huge issue.

Typically you want slightly stiffer struts than springs. If you have it the other way around, you end up with an underdamped spring which can give you the bouncies and loss of traction.

If you can provide any additional feedback on your driving style and specific handling characteristics you want to improve that will help in providing a better recommendation.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

From my experience as an autoX instructor... it's typically not the car that needs the work... it's the driver.

Sure, I've had students that have had EXTREMELY modified cars, and they're classed WAY beyond their ability, but fine tuning a car is an absolute art. My personal favorite, as a general setup for almost any car: Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni Yellows, with the biggest available OEM swaybars. It looks like you're covered on the tires, but even then, you can play with them quite a bit. What tire pressures are you running? What temps are the tires? These are critical points to know, when you get serious about it. The last car I autoXed heavily, was an '01 Integra GSR, with the setup listed above, and with 205/50-15 Dunlop Star Specs. No other mods. I took FTDI in it twice, and was only half a second behind FTD (an '03 Corvette Z06 on V710's, with a National level driver) both times. The secret for THAT car, was to have the rear Konis cranked to full stiff, the fronts a half a turn off of full stiff, the front tires at 37psi, and the rear tires at 39psi, and a loose nut behind the steering wheel. ;)

Obviously, the setup on a Subaru is going to be slightly different... but it's something that you have to play around with, until you are most comfortable driving your car at 8 or 9 tenths. Once you hit ten tenths, you're walking the VERY fine line of driving it perfectly, and overdriving it.
--Evan

1977 Mercury Monarch - "Project: Monarchasaurus"
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4eat - "Project: Teh Subacabra"

Vanity Automotive and Marine Detailing
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

rce yellows or subaru gymkhana springs :-D
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Resurrected! Well of coarse after the wedding things slowed down in the Auto-X aria, but I'm hopeful to get at least one more event in before the season is done up here. Thanks for all the tips.

Chefasaurus I know a driver is never done learning and I know I definitely have some unpolished arias in my driving ability! I am fully comfertable drive my car at and over its limits and I also fully acknowledge that I have alot to lern (especially in the low speed decreasing radious corners my club loves to throw in) I just would like to get rid of some amount of dive under braking and body roll. I've been looking into sway bar options, and for now I'd like to just replace the springs, my ultimate goal is to get some mild coilovers.

Also if anyone was wondering I've got about 3000 hwy commuting miles on the R-S3's now and they are wearing fantastically well, you would never guess they have a tredwear of 140!
Last edited by subytech on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Legacy777: I'd like a bit more rotation and yes body roll is a huge issue lol. I would like the front end to stick a little better but I suspect that has more to do with me and body roll than anything the springs can cure by themselvs. I'm not trying to go crazy here this is just a stepping stone untill i can get the coilovers I want.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest upgraded anti-sway bars to help the body roll, and better struts & springs will help. If you get some adjustable struts like the KYB AGX's you could dial in the rear to be a little stiffer, which will help body roll and help rear end rotation.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Josh, do they make an adjustable shock/strut for the 91 legacy l wagons? I was under the impression the only factory type strut kyb made was the excels that would fit. Whats the scoop?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

AGX for the GC impreza will fit fine. Although you might need impreza springs and front upper perches and 92+ rear top mounts. Or something like a sleeve kit.

You can also get koni inserts although I'm not sure what struts you need for them. There are some notes in the catalog.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

WRXish wrote:Josh, do they make an adjustable shock/strut for the 91 legacy l wagons? I was under the impression the only factory type strut kyb made was the excels that would fit. Whats the scoop?
If they still make them you can get 92-94 Legacy AGX struts. I am using them on my 90 Legacy. I list part #'s in my swap parts list. There are some differences in strut perch heights between the 90-91 MY's and 92-94 MY's. Here's the info I gathered when I did my AWD & 5spd swap.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swa ... suspension

There's also some further discussion and measurements in this thread.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17352
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT