coilover how to get perfect setup?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dafrompa
First Gear

coilover how to get perfect setup?

Post by dafrompa »

I just got some coilovers they been on my for couple of days now and I am just woundering how to setup spring damper rate. I want to have my car low but with close to oem ride. I want to know is it more spring less bounce or less spring less bounce don't get it and I am trying my best to explain. I want to see if my ride is setup the best way it can be or if I can make it better.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: coilover how to get perfect setup?

Post by Apex3 »

Don't touch the the springs, leave them how they were set up, they should be just touching the seats, not tight and not loose. To adjust ride height you should be rotating the lower mount(where it bolts to the hub assembly) and not the spring perches.

As far as ride goes, all you can do is adjust the dampening if the coilovers allow for it. You can't get a softer ride out of the coilovers by adjusting the spring perches, you can make it stiffer if you compress the springs with more pressure than the weight of the car would put on them, but you will ruin the dampers that way.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Wait a second... Coilovers are designed for adjustable spring preload. How does increasing that ruin the dampers?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I believe that's only if you compress it past the point where it would rest at on the ground, but that's just something I read about it. Either way there is no reason to adjust that.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

well, to help it would be useful to know what coilovers, what spring rates, what ride height, what tires, what other suspension mods, and what you are using the car for.

There's no such thing as a "perfect coilover" setting that is applicable to anything and everything.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Some good info here, hence why I'm staying away from coil-overs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmpp_LCB9kc

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog