Sway Bar Install

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Sway Bar Install

Post by originalcyn »

So at Mike's insistence, I finally did my sway bars on my 93 LS.. But I'm enjoying the improved handling quite a bit. This isn't really a write up on the install so much as a picture thread and a couple notes.

I was amazed and the difference in size of the rear sway bar. The stock bar was like 14 mm or so, and the replacement bar was 18 mm or something like that. The picture doesn't really capture it well, but it was a huge difference.

That being said, the stock bushings will not even remotely fit around the new bar. Make sure to get the bushings from the donor vehicle.

Back was a really quick install. Front took a little more time. To do the front we lowered the exhaust manifolds and the little skid plate thing that's back there. I also took this chance to replace my manifold gaskets.

The difference in the thickness of the front bar and the new bar was about 2 mm. This meant that I was able to reuse the bushings.

The red bars was a lot of fun, but they're not really that visible unless you're under the car (go figure).

I want to thank Mike-tracy for helping me go get bars, Josh for answering questions about manifold gaskets, and jamal for answering PMs about sway bars. You guys are great.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sway Bar Install

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad you like the handling! I remember when I upgraded each of mine. They did make a big difference.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Haha, yeah. I'm not super observant about changes to my car's performance, so I guess the best way I can describe the change is that it feels like taking corners no longer requires effort. Kind of a weird way to describe it, but I can't really think of a better way. It's just easy to turn now.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm sad that I didn't wait until I drove my car for the first time to get a feel for it before installing 20mm swaybars. No idea how much different it is. I know it goes around a corner like nobodys business though.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I super regret not having any pictures of my car before i started working on it.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have a bunch simply because it sat for 2 years while I built it which is also why I didn't get to drive it first. Spent the whole two years putting parts on while I looked for an engine.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

yeesh. well, it's definitely paid off for you.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yup, don't regret any of it even though it's a money pit.