Swift Springs - Anyone using them on their BF, BJ

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Swift Springs - Anyone using them on their BF, BJ

Post by chrisshara »

Hi everyone,

I got talking with a guy by the name of Gary @ Mann Engineering quite a while back (I ordered some bushings from him). While chatting with Gary, he spoke very highly of Swift springs. He noted that they have less coil windings, which equals less material in the composite of each spring. As we know less material equals less weight and a spring that weighs less can react quicker (the whole unsprung weight factor).

Is anyone out there using Swift springs ? And if so, are you using 90 - 94 Legacy Struts with your Swift springs or are you using Impreza, WRX or STi struts ? And how is the ride height and quality ? Is this the outcome you had anticipated ? Ultimately, are you happy or satisfied with the final result ?

I didn't come across any info on Swift Springs on here. If anyone can steer me to some info I may have overlooked, your input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swift Springs - Anyone using them on their BF, BJ

Post by Legacy777 »

I've not heard of Swift springs.

Typically springs with less coils will be stiffer, but these may be designed differently.

Maybe others will chime in with some info.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Swift springs are an upgrade on BC coilovers and a few other brands; I think Megan coilovers might use Swift as a spring upgrade. Not sure what the basic spring manufacture is for BC coilovers. On ebaY you will find Swift springs. $299.00 to $350.00 for springs. The springs on ebaY are for standard struts, not coilovers.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Suzuki swift gti springs? I just bought new kyb gr2 excel struts and h&r lowering springs for my metro and they would be the same fitment as the swift gti.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

No, Swift is a manufacturer of higher performing lowering springs.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Here is a pair of links to the Swift springs. They are selling, so people are using them. Just curious to hear from someone who has tried them on a BF / BJ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Springs-S ... 18&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Sport-Spr ... 01&vxp=mtr
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've read of others liking them. Couldn't find a bad review, I guess that's good. Whenever I do my suspension BC coilovers with Swift springs are in my sights. Supposedly they have more consistent rate over their stroke, and aren't as harsh as other springs due to their faster reaction/lighter weight.

I've mostly read about them as replacement coil over springs.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I'm doing BC coilovers on my 1995 BMW 325ic. But I'm doing the $1000 kit. I don't think the Swift springs are an option on the entry level BC coilover kit. Maybe I'll take it up a notch. I was thinking of putting those Swift springs on ebaY to use. But I'm just very uncertian of the final product of whether I should be using '94 Legacy struts with those '02 - '03 Impreza springs, or '02 - '03 Impreza struts. It's too much to process and wonder about. I'm looking for positive feedback from those who have success stories. But I've yet to read one.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Swift's coilover springs are just universal metric sizes, you can buy whatever fits in the length you need in the rate you want and stick them on there.

I've seen several online stores that offer the Swift upgrade on the $1000 BC kit (usually an extra $300 or so).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Good to know. Speaking of online stores (and not to get too far off the subject). Is there any online stores that offer parts for these older Legacies ? I heard people liking Whiteline springs. I went to Whiteline's website and I don't see any springs for our cars. I suspect they've been discontinued.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you downloaded whiteline's catalog? I think they're still in there.

You will find very little if any stores or online stores that carry older legacy specific parts. You mostly have to know what is compatible from the newer cars and buy for those cars.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Hey Josh, somehow I missed your reply here. I have browsed on Whiteline's online site. I didn't actually download any catalog of theirs. I bought the BC coilovers for my BMW. I'm going to give them a whirl. While talking with the salesman (and he uses BC Racing coilovers on his BMW) and trying to decide if I should immediately upgrade to the Swift Springs, he shared that he never sold any upgraded Swift Springs on any of the kits he has sold and he has had no complaints about the BC Racing coilovers with the springs that come in the kit. If I like the BC Racing coilovers on my BMW, I will eventually install BC Racing coilovers on my Subaru. The only downside I have been briefed about, is that the "less expensive" coilovers use more flimsy material to make the locking rings and they WILL bend and become almost impossible or impossible to adjust. But other than that, I'm expecting positive results.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool, well keep us posted once you get them installed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Swift makes perfectly good springs but putting a set on BC coilovers is like putting lipstick on a pig. The dampers are really the important part as long as the springs are somewhere in the neighborhood of where they are supposed to be.

In addition to the linear "coilover" type springs they do make lowering springs for Subarus, but only 04+ Imprezas and maybe newer Legacys (depending on the struts and top hats you're using they might even fit). They also do some manufacturing for other companies with their own brand springs.

ANYhow, the whiteline Legacy springs aren't made anymore, and it's even getting hard to find parts for a GC, but going to GC specific parts is probably still the best option. Some sort of a Koni setup or ST coilovers are what I would recommend for about the same money as BC.
SurlyOldManMN
In Neutral

Post by SurlyOldManMN »

I have swifts on my '10. They have a good reputation in general. I'm quite pleased with them aside from wrecking my stock dampers, but that was expected.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I hear ya Jamal. But I think all of us put lipstick on our.... .....Are there any rust free '90 - '94 Legacies left ?? ...If not, then we all put lipstick on pigs, IMO.

The reason I chose BC Racing coilovers, is because I recently met a kid who is running his little BMW performance shop about 5 miles from me. He was asking the exact same price for the BC coilovers as they were listed online. Online it was free shipping. I wanted to support my community. I don't want to see this kid go out of business because I acted like a jackass and took my business to the internet. Especially since this kid is matching the online prices. I thought to myself, but I'm still going to end up paying more because he's going to charge me sales tax. Wrong... ...The kid absorbed the sales tax. He only deals with BC Racing, as far as coilovers. So, until I can find an issue to not use BC Racing coilovers, that's what I'll be using. And if I do find something disappointing about them. Then I'll plea my case to my friend. But from what he has already told me, BC is a really good company that stands behind what they sell. I know ST is KW's lower end. Unless I'm confusing ST with something else ?? And I'm sure they are great too. But I just feel that since I bought my coilovers locally, should I have an issue, I'll get better service.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S