Noob suspension question

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Noob suspension question

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

I have a noob suspension question; The suspension is shot on my 94' AWD wagon, 225k miles. The ass end of the car feels like mush and makes a bunch of clunking noises over bumps, rough roads, etc. The front is not much better. The cars drives good, goes down the road straight and does not wander so I'm guessing the tie rod ends, ball joints etc are okay.

I want to replace the struts and maybe lower it an inch or so, hopefully level it too, it sits with it's nose in the air. What other suspension components, bushing, etc should I have on hand before I tear into it? I'm thinking of going with KYB AGX struts and maybe B&G springs, unless somebody has any better, inexpensive, ideas? I want to firm up the car and make it handle a little better without making it ride too rough. Not looking to make it handle like a slot car, I have a Miata for that :-D
1994 Legacy Wagon AWD MT 230,000 miles and counting (Winter beater/commuter)
1990 Miata (Track toy and summer commuter)
1998 Land Rover Discover (Off road toy and money pit)
2000 Diesel Excursion (Family truckster and tow beast)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Noob suspension question

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest putting the car up on jack stands and taking a look at the suspension/bushings/etc before you do any work and look for anything that looks loose or worn. Grab the suspension and give it a little shake to make sure everything is tight feeling.

I suspect the struts are shot, and just replacing them should make a world of difference.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Changed the oil today and checked out the front end - everything looks and feel like it is in decent shape. No obviously worn bushings or free play in anything that I can tell. One of the struts looks like it is leaking. I will plan on at least doing the struts. I will check out the back when I change the rear diff fluid later this week.
CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

I think I have a broken motor mount too. Just noticed when I shut the car off there is a thud coming from the engine bay. Same on e when I accelerate or go over bumps.