I have an issue lol

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nibbib
First Gear

I have an issue lol

Post by Nibbib »

Okay here's my issue I'm going to be running kyb gr-2/excel-g shocks for a 2000 rs I have 03-07 wrx tein lowering springs and I have a good set of 90-91 front and rear top hats.

So here is what gets weird my issue is the front top hats don't match up to the springs... Now the rears work fine.

And it was to my understanding that almost every single subaru from 90-07 had the same front top hat so wouldn't that make the top hats all the same as well.

It could just be me not getting it set right or some or maybe the top hats from legacys don't work with wrx springs...

Just some help might be nice lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I have an issue lol

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know if the top hats are all the same, but if they aren't you could just get the proper top hat and use your existing mount.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Yea I could but I don't really want to spend 160 on new ones from subaru
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

You don't have an issue, just the wrong top hats to match up to those Impreza springs. Get some used top hats for an Impreza from a j/y, or NASIOC, etc. They will be good and you won't have to spend the money on new ones.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p69 ... b9019d.jpg

for example, maybe.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2515206
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Okay now that I have everything for the right year wrx spring perches for the top in the front but when I try boling everything together the springs are still loose and don't sit right on the tein springs but when putting the springs on a 99legacy gt strut and set the perch on it, it sits perfect so what I'm saying is the perch when spring is on the gr-2 it doesn't tighten up ( I can still move spring enough where I will not mount it) and it doesn't have prober surface contact...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you saying that the springs are still loose when the car is jacked up? Are these lowering springs? Mine Whitelines are kind of like that. They have a little bit of play in them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You need to take a minute and go over what you're writing. Its almost unreadable. If you want others to help you please take the time to make it understandable and use punctuation. It sounds like you're saying with the car up in the air and the wheels off the ground the springs are loose. This is because they're lowering springs which are shorter than stock springs and the struts are not designed for springs that short. You can still use them as long as you're not jumping your car. I put stock sti struts and springs on my legacy and had the same problem.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Yea sorry I was really frustrated with it lol. And yes they are lowering springs and I figured they wouldn't compress till the car was all the way on the ground.

And I'll post up pics up when it's all installed