Need opinions: red STI suspension vs. Yellow be/bh5 bilstein

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GedasT4
In Neutral

Need opinions: red STI suspension vs. Yellow be/bh5 bilstein

Post by GedasT4 »

Hi everyone,

I'm going to upgrade my suspension. Searched and readed a lot but didn't find anything about gd sti red suspension compared to yellow bilsteins, used in be bh5 twin turbo legacys(not sure about N/A models). Both are inverted type. Mostly I'm looking for stiffer ride, cornering on asphalt, and gravel also (going to participate in some rally cross event in my country, maybe track days...) So, did anyone tried them? Are the yellow bilsteins stiff enough to be compared to sti suspension? I know that the red sti is damn hard, almost coil overs-hard, but the problem is that they're also expensive (almost 2-1,5 times than bilsteins). So is the sti suspension ride stiffnes worth the extra money over the bilsteins?

P.S. sorry for eng. not my native language :)
'93 2.2 Sedan, WRX Turbo swap running on ethanol, MT, Low Range Gear, LSD, dark green, leather
Europe, Lithuania, Vilnius
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Need opinions: red STI suspension vs. Yellow be/bh5 bils

Post by jefferson »

I have the 04 sti struts and springs on my car and absolutely love them. Lowered the car about an inch and the car is significantly stiffer. My comparison is to the stock suspension that had over 200,000 on it so take that into consideration. I just love the stance and the ride of the car. Can't wait to get it back on the autocross course. It is going to be so much faster.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've driven and rallycrossed on STi struts and they do very well. However, I've only heard that the bilsteins give a very nice ride with good handling, more of sporty street ride.
I've been wanting a set of bilsteins for my wagon for a while but can't find a set at a decent price.
For your application, I'd go with the STi's.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

You should be able to find some good used stuff at a decent price. Take them apart and clean them and then regrease them using plenty of top quality grease. They are faily common here, but I have no idea about your area.

Jeff
Last edited by jefferson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

He's in Lithuania...

If u can find the bilateins in your area cheaper than the sti red go with the bilsteins, they ride freakin amazing!! My buddy had them on his jdm 99 twin turbo wagon and they are prolly the best setup I've riden in. Especially if they are almost half as much in your locality
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Be/BH Bilsteins wont fit... You'd need to find Bilsteins for a BD/BG. Rear top hats would have to be swapped out for the appropriate rear top hats though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
GedasT4
In Neutral

Post by GedasT4 »

Thanks for answering so fast, pleasure to be part of this forum :)

Hmm, so let me get this straight, yellow bilsteins from a TT BG/BD legacy are stiffer/ more solid than f.e. bugeye sti red suspension setup?? That would be almost mindblowing... Never thought that any suby could ride harder than STI :)
'93 2.2 Sedan, WRX Turbo swap running on ethanol, MT, Low Range Gear, LSD, dark green, leather
Europe, Lithuania, Vilnius
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Since I have BG Bilsteins on my 91 SS, I can tell you that they are very well dampened, and not harsh as STI ones. Handling is excellent, and super firm but comfortable in the corners. I did own STI suspension (from an 04), on my 98 Impreza, so I can't make a 100% accurate comparison. But my feelings are the STI's handled a little bit better, with a HUGE penalty to comfort compared to the Bilsteins.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.