Need new struts

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Need new struts

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Before winter is upon me, I need to purchase and install new struts on my 94' awd wagon. This car was originally equipped with air suspension, sometime before I purchased it everything was converted to standard struts. Will I be able to purchase new struts and mounts that are designed for a standard non-air suspension wagon or is there going to be weirdness with this install that requires different parts?

I'm thinking of going with KYB AGX's. This car is my winter beater/occasional summer driver when my Miata is out of commission. I would like it to handle better than stock but I'm not trying to get crazy with it as I need snow capability. Most of the cars miles are with snow tires mounted. Maybe I should go with the standard KYB Excel G's?

I plan on replacing the strut mounts/bushings while I'm at it. Anything else I should go after while I'm there? The car has 230k miles on it. It currently handles like a bowl of mushy oatmeal and sounds like a can of bolts going over bumps. I'm debating a new set of springs too, possible B&G lowering springs. I would welcome feedback on these or other springs.
1994 Legacy Wagon AWD MT 230,000 miles and counting (Winter beater/commuter)
1990 Miata (Track toy and summer commuter)
1998 Land Rover Discover (Off road toy and money pit)
2000 Diesel Excursion (Family truckster and tow beast)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need new struts

Post by Legacy777 »

If it's just a daily driver, I'd just recommend going with the Excel G's. I think if you do mounts & bushings along with the struts that should help a lot with the handling.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I would check ball joints and end links front and rear. I'm sure if your car had air bags it came stock with 19mm rear sway. That should help with the rattling going over bumps.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Thanks for the feedback. End links - are you referring to the links for the sway bar or is there something else I should be looking for?

Any thoughts on the B&G springs (or any other replacment springs)? I'm assuming the stock springs are shot, the PO used this car as his work truck. I was told he always had it loaded down with tools. The ass end is sagging.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I load mine heavy every day (500-700lbs) daily. The springs should be fine they normally don't give up much over the years. One thing that might be the reason for the saggy butt is they may have put 90-91 struts on the rear. I've changed all my cars to 92-94 struts, the spring perches are higher up and will give a taller stance.

Also, the end links are what connects the sway bar to the control bar. It kinda looks like a dog bone, if those have play in them they will make noise.
Charles

CreepyOldGuy
In Neutral

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

rallyak wrote:I load mine heavy every day (500-700lbs) daily. The springs should be fine they normally don't give up much over the years. One thing that might be the reason for the saggy butt is they may have put 90-91 struts on the rear. I've changed all my cars to 92-94 struts, the spring perches are higher up and will give a taller stance.

Also, the end links are what connects the sway bar to the control bar. It kinda looks like a dog bone, if those have play in them they will make noise.
Thanks again, much appreciated. I will check it out and see what looks worn.
archerw
In Neutral

Post by archerw »

Along these same lines of 90-91 vs 92-94... Are the later strut spring perches both higher or are the fronts higher and the rears lower (http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/te ... suspension)?

I have a 90 awd wagon that needs all new struts. If I can get a little lift solely by jumping to 92-94 struts (w/ orig 90-91 springs), I'll take it. Planning on KYB Excel G struts.

Just want to make sure the car will end up level. rallyak, you might be able to answer this directly since it sounds like you've done just what I'm talking about.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Yes it will raise it both front and rear about 1.5-2 inches using the 92-94 struts.
Charles

archerw
In Neutral

Post by archerw »

Thx, Charles! Struts are bad enough now that oscillations just roll from corner to corner; unneeded excitement on winter roads.