Does this look like stock height to you?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Does this look like stock height to you?

Post by aaronllewellyn »

I recently changed out the wheels for ones with new tires, and noticed a full set of KYB GR-2 struts and shocks, I've been thinking about lowering springs (Or raceland coils for imprezas).

This whole car is a mystery to me, I bought it thinking it was a 91 ss but it had 1990 Ls on the title, soon realized I had bought a 1990 Ls with a full ej22t swap and an AWD conversion. so as I dig deeper into the car, I'm finding MORE and MORE modifications I didn't know existed.

So, after comparing a few pictures of 1990 legacies to mine, mine seems to look a bit lower than stock, or it's in my head.

and, how do I know if I have the slanted rear top hats or not, the one's I have, are flat on top as well as the springs, anyone have a picture of a slanted 1st gen top hat?

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Re: Does this look like stock height to you?

Post by robertpaige »

You from Seattle area?

I don't know what you mean by slanted top hats, I have never heard of that before. Slanted or not, I don't beleive it will change the fitment of aftermarket parts, you should have no problem upgrading to anything with GC top hats. KYB is some good stuff. Car sits maybe a tad lower than stock, doesn't look much lower. I have had a set of GC Raceland's, no problems with them whatsoever. I liked them. I like stiff suspension and my car to be pretty low, but ust depends on what you like. Lowering spring might fit your style/comfort a bit more.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

If you had a better picture from the side and told us your tire size that would be helpful in answering your question.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

robertpaige wrote:You from Seattle area?

I don't know what you mean by slanted top hats, I have never heard of that before. Slanted or not, I don't beleive it will change the fitment of aftermarket parts, you should have no problem upgrading to anything with GC top hats. KYB is some good stuff. Car sits maybe a tad lower than stock, doesn't look much lower. I have had a set of GC Raceland's, no problems with them whatsoever. I liked them. I like stiff suspension and my car to be pretty low, but ust depends on what you like. Lowering spring might fit your style/comfort a bit more.
No I'm in NY but the car had been in Seattle/Tacoma for 20 years. until last august. I really have NO history on it.

I read somewhere that that subaru guy on here with like 24k posts said the rears of the first gens had tapered/slanted tophats in the rear and therefore wouldnt fit.

When I have the $$$ I'm going to go with the GC racelands, do you know if the GC raceland strutbars fit our cars? would be pretty neat to get one since they're cheap as dirt ($50)

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I remember seeing that car on Craigslist for a LONG time as a dealership listing. They were asking a lot for it as well. The pictures I saw, it had some kind of aftermarket white cluster backing and an autometer boost gauge. I'm also not a fan of painted trim.

As far as tapered/slanted top hats. I would assume that pertains to running aftermarket springs on stock struts. I also know that something to do with tapered tophats have to do with WRX STi struts/springs. Either way it will not affect fitment of Raceland GC coilovers.

I am not certain that the strut bar will fit, but given that it is made for a GC I believe it should fit the car. I have seen people use GC strutbars without a problem. To make sure, I would take a measurement of each side and compare it to the strut bar measurement.

As Alphius stated, giving us the tire size will be helpful.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The stock ss with stock suspension and tire size looks like its monstertruckin'. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are scans from the factory manuals that show the height compared to the wheel arch. You can check your car against them.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s_1990.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... 2-1993.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s_1994.jpg

Regarding the rear springs & mounts, the 90-91 Legacies had tapered springs in the rear and the mounts were a one-piece setup compared to the 92-94's two-piece setup. Here are some pictures of the 90-91 mounts & springs

www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/susp/

As long as you use the entire 92-94 rear spring mount you should be able to use the GC springs.

Also, you can get the rear GC strut tower braces to fit. I had to bend the bracket a little bit, but it did fit. This thread has more info.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1451
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm