Front sway bar bushings. Hard to replace?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Scuba75
In Neutral

Front sway bar bushings. Hard to replace?

Post by Scuba75 »

So I am replacing a lot of the front suspension on my stock '93 wagon. So far I have done inner/outer tie rods, and the struts/mounts. Next up is the sway bar end links and bushings. I saw a video for the links, looks pretty straight forward, but nothing on the bushings. Is it easy to replace them? Do I have to remove the sway bar to get the bushings off/on? I read that the suspension needs to be loaded, or on ramps not jacked up? Is this more for the removal or install. Could I put the car on stands, and then jack up each control arm individually with the floor jack? Any tips would be great. I'm really new to wrenching.
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Front sway bar bushings. Hard to replace?

Post by James614 »

Its definitely easier with weight on the wheels, since the control arms pull down on the bar at full droop. Should be possible with the wheels raised though, so long as both wheels are level. Just more fighting involved.

Honestly though you might be able to get at the without raising the car at all depending on your build.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Scuba75
In Neutral

Re: Front sway bar bushings. Hard to replace?

Post by Scuba75 »

I did it with the wheels up, and it was much easier than I had imagined. Now if I can just get this new ball joint to go back in I'll be done!