yesterdays suspension adventure

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

silver03
First Gear

yesterdays suspension adventure

Post by silver03 »

We started out needing to replace a torn drivers side steering rack bushing. We bought an OEM one for $25 and disassembly went quick. We wrestled with getting the new boot up and over the lip on the rack. Could not get it. We ended up heating up a pot of water to the point where it was simmering and put the boot in for a couple of minutes. Worked fabulous! It went up and over much easier. We anchored it with several zip ties connected to one another. Better idea for this?
While under there we found the same side CV axle had a tear at the hub. Rebuilt unit from NAPA with AAA discount was ~$71 including $12 core charge. Re-used the original roll pin and tapped in with a carpet tack punch (I bought one specifically for doing this very thing). Getting it all back together, we than notice the outer tie rod end oozing some grease....crap. Well, that will have to wait a day or two for NAPA to get one in. Alignment scheduled for this upcoming week. That's the news, reporting live from Minneapolis.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yesterdays suspension adventure

Post by Legacy777 »

The steering rack boots are held on with a little spring type band. The rubber lips fold over these. Did you see this on the old boot?

Here are pics from when I put new boots on my rack.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/21

If you have to replace the tie rod I wouldn't bother getting an alignment until after that work is done, unless you don't plan to replace that for a while.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
silver03
First Gear

Re: yesterdays suspension adventure

Post by silver03 »

We over stretched that spring band. :(
Legacy777
Site Admin