Lifting my 94 need input!!

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Lifting my 94 need input!!

Post by pabst90-ix »

Ok so i have a few questions i have been searching all the forums and cant find an answer. I have a 93 wagon with fxt struts and just ordered the sjr 1.5in strut spacers. Now my question is with the added lift from the struts plus that of the spacers will i need to do a body lift in order to correct the geometry? Im rather worried about this because i have not been able to find much info on lifting this model wagon and sjr's guys didnt have an answer either. I recently switched my springs back to stock legacy because it reduced the wheel gap. I can easily go back to the 05 fxts springs, but with this lift i plan on running either the general ats or some bfg ats hopefully ill be able to fit them. Either way i want to know if im going to burn out my cvs or not. Any input is grealty appreciated thanks guys. This is my first subie and non-truck lift
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lifting my 94 need input!!

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

I think some spacers between the crossmembers and body would probably help the CV angle, but I don't have any direct experience.

I would also suggest checking out the USMB www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum as there are more folks over there that have lifted subies and may be more knowledgeable on the subject.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

find a 97-99 outback, get the parts in this pic, you already have the forester suspension to get the highest lift with the spacers on top

Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

@diesel is it 100% necessary to do all the spacers if just going with stock height outback suspension? From my understanding that just keeps your ground clearance the same but creates wheel gap? I too am trying to lift my legacy.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The spacers lower the drivetrain, and corrects some suspension alignment. As well as decreasing stress on the axle joints. However, they do nothing to the wheel gap. I myself have ran 3" over stock height with no side effects on the axles. There are some who say they're necessary, but I am not one of them. As with everything your mileage may vary.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

I didn't explain what I meant about wheel gap very well. I just thought that with a strut lift and body spacers, all that is being accomplished is wheel gap as the spacers reduce drivetrain clearance by pushing everything down. Some have said its okay to roll a small lift without too much CV damage but as you said ,mileage may vary Haha.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The outback struts provide about an inch and a half lift, the spacers are about an inch. So roughly half inch more clearance assuming stock size tires, you'll gain more going with bigger tires. Stock legacy is roughly 24" whereas stock outback are 26" so you'll gain another inch there.

Superu on usmb has ran his legacy for years with strictly strut and spring lift with no spacers, his is probably the longest driving example I can think off hand.

On my forester I've seriously considered ditching the spacers for an extra inch of clearance. It's destined as a winter/junkyard beater and in some situations I could use that inch lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

86BRATMAN wrote:...and in some situations I could use that inch lol
Couldn't we all...

Sorry I couldn't resist :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

lol I was hoping that open opportunity wouldn't get passed up.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Josh you dirty old dog you! Ahahaha. But in all seriousness my poor exhaust piping NEEDS at least an inch. I've bent a couple hangers already:P
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

I run my outback converted 02 legacy gt without the spacers to help clear deeper snow in the winter.
It was a bit more challenging to get the alignment perfect with new strut/shocks
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Can anyone out there with experience tell me what all I'd need in order to run 04 FXT struts and springs on my car? (93 L sedan) I assume the rear definitely will not bolt up. Will I need to order 93 top hats? Or are the top hats even going to fit? I did a brief search but didn't come up with a clear answer to this question.
Joeykaliman
In Neutral

Post by Joeykaliman »

Not knowing for sure but have heard from a friend who lifted his subby he said he had to flip the rear sway bar for it to fit properly never have done this myself but his car is running truck 16s and rides so smooth
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

No kidding? I hadn't heard that before. My car didn't actually come with a RSB but I bought one from Subaru_styles on here and installed it. I really would like a small lift though.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I didn't have to flip mine and I was lifted 3+ inches with strut and spring combo. If you have fitment issues find a set of 96-99 outback swap bar mounts, they're about an inch and a half longer than stock.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

I can't imagine a lift causing a RSB issue. Should work fine. But I guess I'll find out.
Anyone have insight on the 04 fxt struts???
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Yeah, they're over rated. 96-99 outback struts give the same lift as 04-08 fxt struts and are cheaper plus your springs will swap perfectly. Unless you're planning on using the fxt strut and spring combo it's not worth the extra money for them.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

The thing is, I actually found a set with lower miles than any of the 2nd OB struts I've found. 04 fxt struts and springs with like 40k on them for a little over 100 bucks. I just dunno what all I'll need to fit them.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Physically they've bolt up fine in the front. The rear will need either the top hat swapped or a hole drilled in the strut tower just like fitting wrx or sti suspension. You will probably have to massage the area of the wheel well directly behind the rear struts so they don't hit that area of the car. I had a really hard time installing my rears till I realized the lower perch was digging into the metal. A few well placed blows with a bfh and all was well.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Oh right on. So the top hats should fit if I just swap them? No weird spring taper bs issues??
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

They use the same taper as 04-07 impreza springs, the top hat is actually the same part number. So you'll need to use the 90/91 legacy hats.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Glad I asked! Haha thanks for the heads up brother.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

No problem man.