Bushings to help with squatting rear end

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turbo970
Third Gear

Re: What did you do to your Subie today?

Post by turbo970 »

does anyone know if these can be used on first gens? not these persay but something like them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TORQUE-SOLUTION ... 0870426444
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those bushings are for a completely different suspension design of the newer Subarus.

They do make upgraded poly bushings to fit our cars, but it would help to know which bushing you're wanting to replace.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
turbo970
Third Gear

Bushings to help with squatting rear end

Post by turbo970 »

what ever bushings in the rear that will help with the handling and hopefully lessen the launch squat lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

turbo970 wrote:what ever bushings in the rear that will help with the handling and hopefully lessen the launch squat lol

All bushings in the rear will affect handling to some extent, however none really affect the squat of the car under launch. The anti-lift kit does help with front end lifting under acceleration. Stiffer rear springs would also help.

Are you experiencing any sort of issues or problems that you are trying to correct with the bushings?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i just know they are old and and when i take off hard the nose goes up and the rear squats bad. and with my back stiffer springs wouldnt be good.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Legacy777 wrote:
turbo970 wrote:what ever bushings in the rear that will help with the handling and hopefully lessen the launch squat lol
The anti-lift kit does help with front end lifting under acceleration.
From what I understand, the ALK actually does the opposite of this. It removes some of the anti-lift geometry in the front suspension, allowing freer extension of the front wheels which allows the front tires to maintain more consistent contact with the road and improve traction. But the result of greater front wheel traction is probably what you are after anyways.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
GTEASER
First Gear

Post by GTEASER »

Legacy777 wrote:

All bushings in the rear will affect handling to some extent, however none really affect the squat of the car under launch. The anti-lift kit does help with front end lifting under acceleration. Stiffer rear springs would also help.

Are you experiencing any sort of issues or problems that you are trying to correct with the bushings?

Could correcting the rear geometry with these help with squat?

http://turninconcepts.com/suspension/im ... hings.html
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

GTEASER wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:

Could correcting the rear geometry with these help with squat?

http://turninconcepts.com/suspension/im ... hings.html

turbo970,

How badly does it squat, and how are you measuring/realizing it's squatting badly?

I personally don't think if you have good working components that you should be seeing excessive squat under acceleration. So I'd start with making sure the suspension components are in good working order. Otherwise, the squat you're experiencing may just be "normal" for these cars and if you don't like it, you'll need to modify the suspension to correct it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

James614 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:
The anti-lift kit does help with front end lifting under acceleration.
From what I understand, the ALK actually does the opposite of this. It removes some of the anti-lift geometry in the front suspension, allowing freer extension of the front wheels which allows the front tires to maintain more consistent contact with the road and improve traction. But the result of greater front wheel traction is probably what you are after anyways.
My bad, you are correct. It actually removes anti lift & dive geometry. Here are a couple links for more info.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Ef ... 0ALK_b.pdf

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22752
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Re: Bushings to help with squatting rear end

Post by jamal »

Bushings are not going to do much to help you (although I always recommend fresh ones) and like others have mentioned the alk will slightly increase squat. Think of it as a kit for anti-lift, and not an anti lift kit.

If you were to raise the front trailing arm mount, it would add anti-squat, but given the bushing is bolted right to the chassis there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Those arms will also not help, especially if you are around stock ride height. They are a different length to keep the lateral links pointed straight out when the car is lowered. Having them at a sharper angle can cause bushing wear and binding in the suspension.

Really the only effective way to decrease squat and dive are with higher spring rates. However, if you're on old struts, they will not be controlling the motion of the car and you will definitely get extra body movement under acceration loads. What shocks and how old are they?
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

new struts all 4 corners. old springs tho. my daughter's g pa saw it squat to the point the rear wheels tucked up in the wheel wells. he crawled under and say the rear diff mount bushings were shot. plus he thinks the springs are weak. thats why why i asked about those incerts. then i saw some stiffer bushings on rally sport. so i thought i'd ask on here
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I believe those MSI arms are to correct geometry for lowered suspensions (MSI has an entire rear sub frame to go with that), not necessarily reduce squat in general. I personally would look at some updatedsprings before the bushings, as those can be quite a pain and IMO probably not your issue

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

turbo970 wrote:new struts all 4 corners. old springs tho. my daughter's g pa saw it squat to the point the rear wheels tucked up in the wheel wells. he crawled under and say the rear diff mount bushings were shot. plus he thinks the springs are weak. thats why why i asked about those incerts. then i saw some stiffer bushings on rally sport. so i thought i'd ask on here
The rear wheels are going to tuck under the wheel wells. The rear fender arches/wells are lower than the front.....that's just the nature of the car.

Personally I think you may be trying to fix an non-existent problem. If you have a specific issue with handling or see a visible issue with a suspension component then I'd try and fix that.

How did he verify the bushings were "shot". Unless they are torn the bushings should be ok. They may be worn and not provide the best resistance to movement, but may still be functional.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

do wagons squat more than sedans?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

More than likely yes, there is more weight in the rear.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

well poo lol.i guess i'll have to get new springs. just what ones i'm not sure
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Wagons have firmer rear springs than sedans, 190lbs. They are similar in stiffness to GD STI pink springs. Just a heads up as many aftermarket springs for the GC and GD are actually softer than that.

speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I just put some H&r springs on my 93 legacy, and it helped quite a bit. I've heard good things about b&g s2 springs as well, but never rode on a set.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt