Front End Shaking/Clunking

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ctown8
In Neutral

Front End Shaking/Clunking

Post by Ctown8 »

Ive got an issue with my 91 legacy's steering. its been frustrating me since i bought the car (about 2 months ago). Basically when i hit certain bumps, it feels like my wheel is wobbling. It does not happen on every bump, just bigger ones, seems like the bigger the bump the worse the wobble. i thought at first my wheel wasn't done up tight but it is.
When I got the car the rear struts were beyond bad, so I replaced them and that helped in the big scheme of things, but not much. i have the front struts, (the ones on there are in the process of going) but i have not had time to install them, im hopping this fixes the issue but I highly doubt it.
I lifted the car up and messed around with the wheel, the bearing seems fine, and plus if it was the bearing i think it would happen all the time and i would have some highway hum.
my second and third thoughts were ball joints and or bushings, but they seem okay.
Its worst on the left, but the right does it a bit too.

Any ideas for me?

Also, When I back up if I accelerate a bit hard it makes a weird clunking noise as well, this same noise also happnes occasionally if i accelerate while turning, almost exclusively when turning left.
1992 Subaru Legacy Turbo 5MT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Front End Shaking/Clunking

Post by rallyak »

Sounds like a possible bad axel.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

If you have new struts and know those aren't in the best shape I'd start with those. Check out the bushings and ball joints when you do the struts to see how they feel. From there see if you can have a friend listen or drive while you listen to try and pin point where the clunk is coming from (front or rear). That'll help in narrowing down the issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Ctown8
In Neutral

Post by Ctown8 »

I know for sure the clunking is on the front left (driver side for me) and a little bit on the right. i will do the struts when i find time and update this.
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Ctown8
In Neutral

Post by Ctown8 »

So I replaced the front left (driver) strut yesterday night, haven't test driven yet but when I was replacing it I was feeling around in there if you know what I mean hehe, the ball joint felt good, bushings looked and felt fine, but the axle seems to have some play.. I know its supposed to be able to move in and out a bit but if it jiggle it should I hear any clunking back and forth? I'll be going out later today so I'll see if the noise is gone then but I'm thinking it wont be :/ I'll report back with my findings later.
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

In my experience clunking while turning and under acceleration on one side is a bad CV axle. Check to see if you have a torn boot.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 4EAT
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Ctown8
In Neutral

Post by Ctown8 »

Well the shaking is gone which is very nice! But the clunking is still there. I'm almost certain that its the axle, Ill have to take a closer look at the boot next time I pull the tire off.

Thanks for the replay Scruff_
2000 Toyota Celica GT