WRX Struts with stock legacy springs?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ACVWguy
In Neutral

WRX Struts with stock legacy springs?

Post by ACVWguy »

So my 1991 legacy wagon 4wd is in need of new struts and new front strut mounts. I've been reading thread after thread for a few weeks now and I've gone through the stickies multiple times.

I don't really have upwards of $350 to dump on new KYBs for the whole car... and since its a 1991, the rear struts can't really be had for under $110 each. So I'm trying to experiment with the struts of other subarus.

I also would like to lower it ~1 inch if possible... but I don't want to get new springs because the spring rates will be all wrong for a wagon. And I haul stuff.

What I want to do is get new KYB GR2 04 WRX wagon front struts and re-use my stock springs and tophats. I understand that the springs should fit... and since I'm using legacy springs, I won't need WRX upper perches. If what I'm reading is correct, the struts themselves should offer almost an inch of drop as well.

I also want to replace the rear struts with 92-94 legacy GR2s. From what I understand, the lower perch is welded to the strut about 3/4" lower than on my struts. And if I reuse the top mounts (which are one piece), then I can keep using my tapered stock springs. So this will get me rear struts (and a little drop) for about $120 for the pair in the back.

So, to those in the know, has anyone tried anything like this before? In theory it sounds like it should work... and I would be able to get all four struts for about $200 shipped on ebay/amazon.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WRX Struts with stock legacy springs?

Post by Legacy777 »

The 92-94 rear KYB struts should work as you described. I don't have any experience with the 04 WRX wagon KYB's, but based on the info in the suspension sticky it mentions needing a front spring perch. If you are reusing your springs then you should be ok.

Hopefully someone else with some more direct experience can chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The 92-94 struts with 91 springs will raise the rear not lower it, 90-91 spring is taller. Also the spring perch on 92-94 is 3/4 inch higher not lower. If you want to drop the rear you need 90-91 struts with 92-94 springs and top hats.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
ACVWguy
In Neutral

Post by ACVWguy »

Are you sure?

This thread says that 92-94 rear struts have lower perches than 90-91 rear struts. It also says that the front perch on 92-94 struts is higher than on 90-91 struts.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=17352
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I know you have more tire clearance on the 92-94 because I have changed my 90 over and with 205/55/16 the tires would slightly rub the spring perch and not with 92-94. I swapped 92-94 rear struts on my sisters 91 with her tapered springs and her rear is about 1 1/2 inches higher than stock. If you look at the wheel arch it is 3 1/2 to 4 inches above the tire. With the combo 90-91 struts and 92-94 springs and top hats will drop the rear, done that by accident on my moms old car.
Charles

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Charles,

Was your experience with KYB struts or stock Subaru struts?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Both
Charles

ACVWguy
In Neutral

Post by ACVWguy »

Ok, so I went to the parts store to compare today and it looks like the perch is mounted higher on the later model struts by over half an inch. The perch on the wrx front struts is also quite a bit higher than the legacy's. So, it looks like I would need to buy springs and upper perches to make it all work. And that would offset all of my savings from buying the other strut models anyways.

So, rallyak, you say that the rear springs on the second gen legacy are shorter than on the first Gen?

Also, does anyone know if the 92-94 springs are shorter in the front or rear than the 90-91 springs? That would make for a much cheaper setup...
ACVWguy
In Neutral

Post by ACVWguy »

Hey rallyak,

Do you know if it will lower my car by putting 92-94 front springs on my wagon?

From what i understand, the perch is mounted lower on the 90-91 front struts so im thinking 92-94 front springs will be shorter.

Any help is much appreciated.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I believe the front springs are the same, I've swapped them on both but on 90-91 struts will give you the lowest stock parts combo.
Yes the perch is lower on 90-91 but uses the same top hats as almost every Subaru from 90-04.
Charles