Fwd problems

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

smagg26
First Gear

Fwd problems

Post by smagg26 »

I've been reading through the sticky post but haven't found an answer to my question. I'm pretty sure I can't but just would like to confirm it. Can you use 02-04 wrx struts on fwd knuckles or do they need to be changed for awd ones?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Fwd problems

Post by PhyrraM »

Front or back?

Fronts are the same AWD or FWD. Prefacelift has slightly different spring perches, but if you swap a complete strut it doesn't matter.

Rears are different between AWD and FWD.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
smagg26
First Gear

Post by smagg26 »

Yeah I was look for the rears, i know the knuckle location for the strut is different. Didn't know if anyone has tried or something. seen SO many post about springs but not struts, wanted to get some agxs for the rear but they don't make any for the FWDs. i got gr-2s now but wanted something that was adjustable.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

AWD struts won't work with FWD rear knuckles. They physically won't bolt up to the knuckles due to interference fitment and have different length strut bodies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Legacy777 wrote:AWD struts won't work with FWD rear knuckles. They physically won't bolt up to the knuckles due to interference fitment and have different length strut bodies.

That said, it's probably close enough that it's within range of what you can comfortably do with an angle grinder. Both the struts and the knuckle would probably need a pretty large amount of grinding. The mounting tabs on the strut would need to be re-worked so after the bottom bolt hole they make a 90deg turn straight to the strut body instead of an angle toward the bottom of the strut body and the center of the knuckle would need some love in order to clear the strut body. You could probably shave 1/8-1/4 off the strut body as well.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

From what I saw when I had all the parts apart you could likely cut a bit of the bottom of the strut so it would fit, however that may not be the safest thing with removing metal from around where the lower bolt holds the strut.

Additionally, the FWD & AWD rear struts are different length due to the mounting position on the AWD being several inches higher. Even if you were to get the rear FWD struts to physically fit the ass end will be jacked up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Legacy777 wrote:From what I saw when I had all the parts apart you could likely cut a bit of the bottom of the strut so it would fit, however that may not be the safest thing with removing metal from around where the lower bolt holds the strut.

Additionally, the FWD & AWD rear struts are different length due to the mounting position on the AWD being several inches higher. Even if you were to get the rear FWD struts to physically fit the ass end will be jacked up.
IIRC FWD struts will fit on the AWD but the interference I described is what happens if you try to go the other way around. The spot you'd have to remove metal from the spindle is in the center of the part of the casting that the bolt for the links that attach to the sub frame runs through. You could probably notch it with a hole saw (like notching tube for a cage) to get the strut body to fit and you'd probably still break the sub frame, links and spindle first (depending on what you're doing to break it). There's a lot of meat in that knuckle compared to all the stuff around it.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.