GD STi Pink Suspension

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tkammen
In Neutral

GD STi Pink Suspension

Post by tkammen »

I plan on installing all of this onto a 1991 Legacy SS that already has 2004 STi struts. I wanted to see if anyone has done this on their 91 and has any tips or tricks to anything.

- GD STi front control arms
- GD STi Pink trailing arms
- GD STi Pink Lateral links with sway bar boxes
- GD STi Rear sway bar ?
- GD STi rear sway bar links
- GD STi front sway bar links
- GD/GG WRX Wagon front sway bar

Now I read the stock Legacy SS front sway bar will not work with the wider mounting points on the STi control arms. Can I use a GD WRX or STi front sway bar?

As for the axles, I can probably use WRX length axles. I just have to remove the front tone rings off the axles. I'm not sure about the rear tone rings. Is the tone ring apart of the hub or on the axle?

On my 2005 WRX I have the same suspension set up with a V7 six speed. Stock WRX axles up front and V7 STi rear axles in the back with an R180 rear. If anyone has done this set up before please let me know! I'm hoping this makes the car feel more planted.
Last edited by tkammen on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 WRX
V9 Engine Swap, V7 6spd, VF37

1992 Legacy SS

2022 Ford Maverick
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: GD STi Pink Suspension

Post by TurnNburn »

If you plan on doing all of that stuff then i would definitely upgrade your front sway bar as well, otherwise it will under steer like mad. IDK about after swapping all of that stuff if the front will fit but I put a stock sti front sway bar on the front of my SS and it fit just fine. The rear is where you are going to run into trouble. I had to hammer away a sizable portion of my spare tire well to make it clear the chasis. IIRC you want a wrx wagon sway bar, or an ugraded bar for that car. Props to you if you could get a JDM STI wagon rear sway bar!
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
tkammen
In Neutral

Post by tkammen »

Great, with your rear sway bar do you have the stock Legacy lateral links? The STi pink lateral links are longer and a WRX rear sway bar does not fit on the car with those. Like you said I would need a JDM STi wagon rear sway bar.
2005 WRX

1992 Legacy SS

2022 Ford Maverick
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

They wont work with the stock legacy lats, I used some lateral links I think I took off of an impreza. basically any links that fit the new style sway bar will work. I don't have any experience with the pink stuff to verify for certain. But if its STI lateral link with and sti sway bar, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

I have some stock 04 STI front and rear sway bars with whiteline bushings and sti end links for sale if your still looking for those items. I also have a whiteline front sway bar (that is 22mm?, I don't know off the top off my head, would have to check) if your interested
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Up front, a wrx wagon and your stock swaybar have the same dimensions, well, except for diameter (18 vs 20mm). So neither will work with the sti arms. All you need though is an sti front swaybar, which are also specific to the arms you get because of differences in caster. 04-05 USDM sti has higher caster arms (same as a spec c) and a different front swaybar from the 06-07 and most jdm cars. Also the front bushing in the 02+ arms is wider so you need to change that.

Only Legacy swaybars will clear the rear tire bump.

WRX wagon, WRX sedan, 93-01 and impreza rear bars are all the same shape. STI bar is wider because the endlinks and mounting tabs are different. Wagon vs not wagon are the same. Still, none of the above will fit on a legacy without some cutting because they do not have a bend to go under the spare tire well.

So if you are using the lateral links with a vertical tab, you will need an sti bar to line up properly, and will also need to make it fit your spare tire well. Do you already have those lateral links?

If you use lateral links for a wrx sedan, which are pretty much the same width, you can use a rear swaybar meant for a legacy.
Last edited by jamal on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkammen
In Neutral

Post by tkammen »

For the front, I'm not sure what year arms I am getting. On my 2005 WRX I have the STi aluminum control arms with my stock front sway bar so I know that fits. I might get an ALK for the car so that will add more caster anyways.

For the rear, I got the lateral links with the separate sway bar boxes and links. The lateral link bolt slides through the box, then the lateral link. I'll be using these so I must use an STi rear sway bar. I guess I'm going to have to hammer the car a little. Not something I'm looking forward to as the car is very clean underneath.

I'm trying to widen the track so the STi ones are the farthest I can go without going aftermarket. I love the suspension on WRX so I figured the same on the Legacy.
2005 WRX

1992 Legacy SS

2022 Ford Maverick
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah the wrx sedan and sti use the same front endlinks and swaybar width. The SPT aluminum arms for the wrx are the same geometry as the wrx.

If you are going to buy sti arms, try to find the 04-05 usdm or spec-c jdm arms which add some caster, and would require an 04-05 sti swaybar. Well, they are close and you could probably use either, but you might have problems with the bar rubbing on the endlinks.

I had the idea to use a jack and a big ass socket to make clearance for an impreza swaybar because I had a free 20mm bar off a wrx. Ended up just buying a whiteline 22mm made for my car.