1992 Legacy L Wagon 4x4 difficulties finding springs.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jakimiakj
In Neutral

1992 Legacy L Wagon 4x4 difficulties finding springs.

Post by jakimiakj »

I have a 1992 Subaru Legacy L Wagon, the car previously had the air suspension option, It was retro fitted before I purchased the vehicle. I noticed the front have homemade springs seat out of some plate steel.

The rear has a factory spring seat attached to the strut mount bushing. When I replaced the strut's a while back I broke the 12mm mounting studs on the strut bushing, when trying to find a new bushing they all did not have the spring seat attached, the one I is tack welded to the mounting bushing. I am about to put a hitch on the car and was thinking of replacing the springs. I opted to drill out the old studs and weld into place some hardened steel bolts to the replace the old ones but my strut now sits at a slight angle tilted toward the front of the car, I am thinking it is because of the home rigging of the mounting studs. which caused some issues reassembling and I am wondering if the tension is possibly what is causing my cv joint to go bad (again).

I have read about putting the WRX springs on and all the parts needed.

I was wondering how much height I would loose and what the difference would be between using either the tapered or the non tapered spring option.

Ideally I would like to have a stiffer suspension because I always have a fairly heavy load in the car due to travelling/living out of the car, especially now that I am adding a hitch and towing a small 5x6.5 ft trailer.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

thanks john
mike-tracy

Re: 1992 Legacy L Wagon 4x4 difficulties finding springs.

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi John, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have done your research, and are asking very directed questions. I have tried many combinations of wrx & sti springs with various struts. I did not find a single combination where the ride height was even. In my experience, the ass end was lower (1" or so?) and the front end was actually raised. Then I went with STI suspension and the ass end was raised and the front was lower!

my 92 SS

here's with full '02 wrx suspension on my 96 legacy
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If it were me, I'd find intact 1992-1994 wagon suspension and replace the struts with brand new KYB's, leaving everything else alone.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome John.

I would agree with Mike's recommendation and see if you can find a complete used 92-94 Legacy wagon strut/spring setup, get new KYB struts and call it a day.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Also the strut is supposed to sit at an angle. In the front it is called caster, which simply put aids in steering performance and self-centering. Since the rear wheels do not steer that isn't the right term, but it has to do with packaging for the strut (it can be longer if it mounts in front of the axle instead of above it), anti-geometry, and dynamic toe changes.

Anyway, finding the stock parts from a 92-94 wagon and getting some fresh struts would definitely be a good idea. That would give you the right spring perches and little washers and stuff. You could also get new top mounts, which do flex and wear out. I believe that a 92 legacy has the same REAR tops and perches as a 93-01 impreza (AWD only), and then for the front, all tops are the same over a large year range. The front spring perches do vary.

There are some aftermarket springs listed for the legacy (eibach?), but they do not distinguish between 90-91, 92-94, and 95-99, which all have slightly different suspension. And they are meant for a sedan which causes ride height issues.

Thinking about it, there may be a set of king springs that could work. King make springs in both stock height but stiffer and taller springs to raise the car slightly. If you got, say, the +1" rear springs for a 93-01 impreza, they would probably not lift your car a full inch but would be firmer than stock to carry extra weight. I am only speculating there though.