KYB & Springs Source

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

burnt_toast
First Gear

KYB & Springs Source

Post by burnt_toast »

My floaty wagon is desperately due for some new struts. Pretty certain I will go with the KYB GR2's, had a set on my old '98 Forester and really enjoyed them as an upgrade over stock blown stuff.

Found a full set on partsgeek.com for about $255shipped, seems like a good deal. Are there any other good sources to buy? Pretty sure the set for the forester I snagged off ebay, but can't seem to find a full set for the Legacy there.

Secondly.. Springs. So many options, yet I'm limited by wagon part I think. I'd like to go a little lower ~1" if possible, or close to stock height and just stiffer, but DONT want the butt end to sag. With that said, what would be a good spring combo and where could I find it?

Advice is appreciated!
'94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon; kyb gr2's/mostly stock
'05 Toyota Corolla XRS - 1.8L 2zz-ge, 6speeds of revtastic fury
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Re: KYB & Springs Source

Post by jamal »

If you can get the the struts for 255 shipped that is definitely a good deal. My cost is higher.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

jamal wrote:If you can get the the struts for 255 shipped that is definitely a good deal. My cost is higher.
Ya I figured that seems good, but lost on a source for springs. Guess I could just reuse stock ones, but would really like to upgrade while I'm at it ya kno
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Maybe king springs, not sure what the best fitment will be, maybe 93-01 impreza parts with the +1" rears and standard height front.

primitive racing in oregon keeps them around I think.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

was debating on Raceland coilovers for a while, but after some suggestions against them, plus realizing I'd like more flexibility w/ off-road potential, plus wet weather travel I've decided to go with the KYB GR2's, just placed order! with coupon code came out to $237shipped from Rockauto, plus they're having a $40mail in rebate right now till end of April I think, so should be under 200 for the struts all said and done (not including install of course).

BUT still stuck on what to do about springs. talked to Primitive somewhat, they suggested coilovers.. that's a no go at this time. what exactly is different about the next gen springs? like dimensional fitment. Seems I could find a set of Forester XT coils pretty easy, and those are just about the same weight as a turbo legacy wagon. can't seem to find much as far as 1g impreza coils.

Anyone have some BRAND NEW stock turbo wagon coils laying around?! LOL jk :lol:

not too concerned about a drop at this point, just something slightly stiffer, or at the least newer
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Where are you located? I have some rear aftermarket GG wagon springs id let you test fit. Made the ass end of my SS too high but id imagine they'd be good on a wagon.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

mike-tracy wrote:Where are you located? I have some rear aftermarket GG wagon springs id let you test fit. Made the ass end of my SS too high but id imagine they'd be good on a wagon.
not very close, unfortunately. I am in San Antonio TX. would be okay with paying shipping tho, but its just rears right? would still then need a front set of GC/GG matching springs correct?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The springs are for an 02-03 wrx and are a direct swap with no tophat changes for your 94. Yeah it's just the rears. You have much choice for front springs, anything 1990-2009+ Legacy, 93-2012 Impreza bolt up. I'm not going to comment on ride height, that's a different story ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

mike-tracy wrote:The springs are for an 02-03 wrx and are a direct swap with no tophat changes for your 94. Yeah it's just the rears. You have much choice for front springs, anything 1990-2009+ Legacy, 93-2012 Impreza bolt up. I'm not going to comment on ride height, that's a different story ;)
wow seriously?? :shock: i thought it was just the 1g GC chasis springs that would fit "bolt-on"

so by this logic, forester springs should work as well, correct?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah, I mean basically they only thing that changed on the rear strut cars was the upper perch diameter and the length of the spring.

I guess an updated chart with lengths along with what fits on various top mounts/perches would be a smart idea.