Need suspension to fit larger tires/rally but not much lift.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Need suspension to fit larger tires/rally but not much lift.

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

Ok so I have a 93 Legacy SS rally car, it's my daily right now while my 98 BD GT gets fixed...

It had awesome DMS coilovers that got parted so I have no idea what shocks it has, the previous owner told me he put 98 GT shocks on it in the rear but my 98 with OEM replacement KYB GR-2's in the rear fits a 205/60R16 (vs 205/55R16 stock) under it on the stock snow flakes, these wheels and tires don't fit on the rear of the 93 they rub on the spring perch just enough that they wouldn't work SOOO.

Do KYB's fit larger tires than stock? or does my 93 NOT have BD GT shocks in the rear? or is there some weird track/offset different between a BC and BD that I should run a wider offset tire? I like sticking close to stock offset +48 to +53 depending on wheel width to save the wheel bearing, I change them enough as it is...

I have been told by a lot of people to run forester suspension but that would give me like 2" of lift unless I used different springs.

I don't have money for coils, I want to just get new OEM of whatever I'm going to run, so like new forester KYB GR-2's then run a rally spring and proper group-n top mount then put them on and go.

How would outback or SUS suspension compare to Forester stuff? People have also told me 02-05 WRX suspension would actually lift a BC? I could run a WRX KYB GR-2 with rally springs..... does anyone know where that would put me height wise?

I'd really like to stick with BC stuff because it's tuned for the chassis but I would really like to run a BFgoodrich AT T/A 215/65R16 or a 205/70R15 or 215/60R16 at smallest which happened to be the stock outback and Forester tire size....
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Re: Need suspension to fit larger tires/rally but not much l

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

Also I don't want to lift the suspension that much so I can throw road or rally tires back on it and be at a good height, I understand a 27" tire is going to give me a 1" lift on its own, thats no big deal.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Who knows what struts are on the rear. Maybe you could clean the grime off one and pull some part numbers for a google search. Either way, if you want to fit taller tires, you'll need longer struts. Do some searching for people's experience with different strut setups on this site and elsewhere.

Know that mixing and matching suspension combos will probably make your car higher in the front or in the back, not evenly lifted or lowered. That was my experience with putting on GD WRX then GD STI suspension on my SS. The WRX made the rears higher and the front way low, and the STI stuff made the rear low and the front marginally higher.

I'm gonna guess that 95-99 outback struts with "normal height springs" or even stock outback springs will get you the closest to what you want. The only difference between outback and SUS suspension is the outbacks have stiffer rear springs, iirc.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:Who knows what struts are on the rear. Maybe you could clean the grime off one and pull some part numbers for a google search. Either way, if you want to fit taller tires, you'll need longer struts. Do some searching for people's experience with different strut setups on this site and elsewhere.
Well I have been trying to but most "modified suspension pics" threads are 90% lowered cars or way jacked up rock crawlers, not rally cars.
mike-tracy wrote:Know that mixing and matching suspension combos will probably make your car higher in the front or in the back, not evenly lifted or lowered. That was my experience with putting on GD WRX then GD STI suspension on my SS. The WRX made the rears higher and the front way low, and the STI stuff made the rear low and the front marginally higher.

I'm gonna guess that 95-99 outback struts with "normal height springs" or even stock outback springs will get you the closest to what you want. The only difference between outback and SUS suspension is the outbacks have stiffer rear springs, iirc.
I was thinking the same thing that why I don't wanna throw random shit on, I also think that legacy to outback is the closest match but everyone I see does Forester or WRX stuff which I find odd.

Would Outback stuff have more travel as well or just have a taller strut body? I just don't know where to start, I don't want to waist my money buying suspension setups.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ScaryfatkidGT wrote:Would Outback stuff have more travel as well or just have a taller strut body? I just don't know where to start, I don't want to waist my money buying suspension setups.
I would think the added height is due to a change in where the lower strut perch is located and taller strut bodies. You may get a little extra travel as a result, but I don't think it's going to be anything noteworthy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm