Finding the right coilovers, 92 sedan.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

williamfrear831
In Neutral

Finding the right coilovers, 92 sedan.

Post by williamfrear831 »

hi guys, I have a 92 sedan non turbo!! :/ and I already put H and R lowering springs at first just to drop it a bit and make it look a bit better. After been driving for a while you really notice how poorly it handles versus how it looks. I'm trying to find some nice coilovers that aren't crazy steep in price (no more then like 1500$) and will properly for the 92 sedan. Anyone have coilovers or know of any good ones that fit lmk!! -William
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Re: Finding the right coilovers, 92 sedan.

Post by jamal »

There are a couple of decent options for the first gen impreza, which will fit. They might take awhile to actually get.

Probably the nicest stuff near your price range would be the Bilstein PSS9. They are durable, they perform well, and ride well. Can be rebuilt and revalved to deal with stiffer springs if needed. The struts are inverted which is stiffer and stronger, and they an adjustment knob that actually does something. However, just the coilovers are about $2000, and do not include top mounts.

Next thing I would consider are the ST coilovers. ST is KW's budget brand and the ST X coilover is basically a KW variant 1 in a cheaper galvanized steel housing (instead of their nicer "INOX" stainless steel). You don't get an adjustment knob but the shocks are pretty good. Those are only about a grand. Does not come with top mounts.

A third option would be the new Tein Flex Z. I generally haven't been a huge fan of tein but these are supposed to ride and perform pretty well. They use softer springs and have more travel than some of the older stuff, and the dampers are better than anything from the cheap brands like megan/k-sport/bc etc. These do come with top mounts all around and front camber plates.

For the first two options, I would suggest the whiteline com-c tops to go with them plus something fresh for rear mounts. KYB makes oem replacements that are pretty cheap and would fit. That adds about $275 to the whole deal. So the STs plus top mounts to go with them for example would be under 1300 total.

The problem with all of these is that they are not commonly stocked by most dealers and distributors. Tein doesn't seem to have any sets in the USA currently.

I'm a dealer for all of these, I can send out some emails on Monday to see what's available if you want.

The other issue you're probably having is that all the suspension bushings are probably pretty worn out by now. All that extra flex in the suspension links does not help with handling.
peter@functionauto.com
williamfrear831
In Neutral

jamal wrote:There are a couple of decent options for the first gen impreza, which will fit. They might take awhile to actually get.

Probably the nicest stuff near your price range would be the Bilstein PSS9. They are durable, they perform well, and ride well. Can be rebuilt and revalved to deal with stiffer springs if needed. The struts are inverted which is stiffer and stronger, and they an adjustment knob that actually does something. However, just the coilovers are about $2000, and do not include top mounts.

Next thing I would consider are the ST coilovers. ST is KW's budget brand and the ST X coilover is basically a KW variant 1 in a cheaper galvanized steel housing (instead of their nicer "INOX" stainless steel). You don't get an adjustment knob but the shocks are pretty good. Those are only about a grand. Does not come with top mounts.

A third option would be the new Tein Flex Z. I generally haven't been a huge fan of tein but these are supposed to ride and perform pretty well. They use softer springs and have more travel than some of the older stuff, and the dampers are better than anything from the cheap brands like megan/k-sport/bc etc. These do come with top mounts all around and front camber plates.

For the first two options, I would suggest the whiteline com-c tops to go with them plus something fresh for rear mounts. KYB makes oem replacements that are pretty cheap and would fit. That adds about $275 to the whole deal. So the STs plus top mounts to go with them for example would be under 1300 total.

The problem with all of these is that they are not commonly stocked by most dealers and distributors. Tein doesn't seem to have any sets in the USA currently.

I'm a dealer for all of these, I can send out some emails on Monday to see what's available if you want.

The other issue you're probably having is that all the suspension bushings are probably pretty worn out by now. All that extra flex in the suspension links does not help with handling.
Sweet man Ill look into it thanks a lot!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Checked on a few of the parts I mentioned. Bilstein USA appears to have a couple of sets left (I'm told "less than 5"), and ST also lists their coilovers in stock. So getting a set of either would be no problem.

Tein does not appear to have them available right now, so they would likely have to get ordered and then go into a container and on a boat, which would take months. They're my least favorite of the three anyhow.
peter@functionauto.com
williamfrear831
In Neutral

jamal wrote:Checked on a few of the parts I mentioned. Bilstein USA appears to have a couple of sets left (I'm told "less than 5"), and ST also lists their coilovers in stock. So getting a set of either would be no problem.

Tein does not appear to have them available right now, so they would likely have to get ordered and then go into a container and on a boat, which would take months. They're my least favorite of the three anyhow.
Damn thanks a lot man! I need to save some money but they going quick, Ill let you know ASAP!
much appreciated, Wiliam