Outback Struts on a 93 Legacy

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legobrick92
In Neutral

Outback Struts on a 93 Legacy

Post by Legobrick92 »

I have been without a Subie for a while and just got a 93 Legacy sedan that I'm wondering about putting Outback struts on to lift it some. I'm getting older and it's hard to get off the floor these days (lol). Any suggestions?
WRXish
First Gear

Re: Suspension Sticky Compilation Thread

Post by WRXish »

Legobrick92 wrote:I have been without a Subie for a while and just got a 93 Legacy sedan that I'm wondering about putting Outback struts on to lift it some. I'm getting older and it's hard to get off the floor these days (lol). Any suggestions?
hire a young mechanic? :mrgreen: :lol:
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Hey I'm an old man too and struggle getting up and down too....welcome to my world :-)
Abeall2
In Neutral

Post by Abeall2 »

I have figured out 93-01 Impreza coilovers should fit 90 legacy. Can lower it an inch. I have been looking at the Godspeed ones. Mono SS. Seem legit and kind of affordable. Also I want to stress I am NOT advertising for anyone. Just trying to find a quality product for my 1st gen. I almost got banned for posting links in the past. The image thing never works for me. Thanks in advanced
90 AWD,5MT,Legacy w/ Ej22t swap.(Silver)
94leggy
In Neutral

Post by 94leggy »

Abeall2 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:12 pm I have figured out 93-01 Impreza coilovers should fit 90 legacy. Can lower it an inch. I have been looking at the Godspeed ones. Mono SS. Seem legit and kind of affordable. Also I want to stress I am NOT advertising for anyone. Just trying to find a quality product for my 1st gen. I almost got banned for posting links in the past. The image thing never works for me. Thanks in advanced
So if I bought gf suspension it would be a direct swap to my bj platform?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Outback Struts on a 93 Legacy

Post by Legacy777 »

What year and body style first gen Legacy do you have and plan to swap the 93-01 Impreza suspension to?

There are some differences in ride height and damping rates. I think the wagon may be more affected. Additionally, you would need to match FWD to FWD components and AWD to AWD
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Legacy777 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 pm Additionally, you would need to match FWD to FWD components and AWD to AWD
Only in the rear and even then it's only the knuckle and strut itself that are affected. You can't put an AWD strut on a FWD knuckle because they interfere with each other.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

OB struts will bolt-up fine on front; rear top hats/strut mount bolt pattern is different. If you swap top hats you'd need to confirm the springs match as they were tapered in there somewhere.

It's been done often enough that you can find (better) specifics on a Google search and other Subie sites.

Edit: '98-'08 Forester struts also work....look at my first try at it...when I was just a SubieNewb: https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/to ... with-pics/

And note the only response! Thanks again JC!

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

You can re-drill your rear towers for the forester top hats. I forget which one is taller but the forester and legacy top hats are different. Also 1st gen bolt pattern is different than 95-99 (rear only, front is compatible). If you intend on further lift I would strongly consider drilling your rear towers to use the 2nd get or Forester bolt pattern since off the shelf spacer lifts are still available for those.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.