1992 Legacy Sedan rear strut bar

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subpurparu
In Neutral

1992 Legacy Sedan rear strut bar

Post by Subpurparu »

I need help figuring out how to install a rear strut bar in my 92 legacy sedan.
If anyone out there knows of a video or a website that will show me in detail that would be freaking rad.
So far I have the back seats removed so I can get a look at where the struts themselves bolt to the frame. It is so high up into where the seat belts bolt on. I dont know if my car is different than other models but this doesn't really make sense to me.
Thanks in advance.
☆○■》SubaruNoob《■○☆
mike-tracy

Re: 1992 Legacy Sedan rear strut bar

Post by mike-tracy »

You are on the right track. The bar runs under the rear tray, and to those strut tops. I don't know how much stuff you have to remove to install it. (it's been a long time since I had one of those rear bars) but I'm pretty sure you have to remove the plastic trim the seatbelts go through on the rear pillars, and pull up the cardboard.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Subpurparu
In Neutral

Post by Subpurparu »

Awesome! I'm glad that I've been going in the correct direction. Thank you for replying. I just found nice strut tower thing. It's a Cusco rear V-brace mount. Looks so mean and its going to look so sexy when it's all put on.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What is the application for that bar? The one I had was meant for a GC8 sedan/coupe and was a straight across bar, more or less. I'm not sure a GD or newer one would fit, plus their bolt pattern is different
Subpurparu
In Neutral

Post by Subpurparu »

Honestly I just want better stability and handling. My 92 legacy is fwd.....
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I meant, what car is it designed for? Personally I'd upgrade the sways before you do a tower bar, you'll feel that way more
Subpurparu
In Neutral

Post by Subpurparu »

That's what I am looking for right now. A 20mm sway bar for the front. My rear doesnt have one....
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Add a rear one...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To improve handling, here is what I'd suggest (best bang for your buck) for your specific situation/car.

First and foremost add a rear anti-sway bar. I believe others have replied as to what you need to add. The holes in the chassis are there so you just have to add the mounting brackets, lateral links, associated bar, and hardware.

A larger front anti-sway bar will help, but I wouldn't go too large. See if you can find a stock second generation Legacy or Outback front bar that is larger then your current bar.

If you're doing the anti-sway bars replace the stock end links. I think the Whiteline steel end links are fine. If you had a lot of other suspension modifications going with the aluminum ones might be a benefit, but I don't think you'll notice any difference between the two.

Replace both the front and rear struts with new KYB Excel struts.

Lastly, you can add front or rear strut tower braces. On the sedans the rear is already kind of boxed in with metal so I don't know that adding a rear strut tower brace is going to make a big difference. I have a cheap rear brace I got off ebay I think. It was meant for the GC Impreza. The brackets didn't exactly line up with the holes to put the brace through and I had to bend them slightly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm