DMS 50 Install: Front Camber Problems

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

XeviousR
In Neutral

DMS 50 Install: Front Camber Problems

Post by XeviousR »

I just installed a set of DMS 50 coilovers on my 92 Legacy Turbo. Yesterday I took it to a shop to have it alligned. I desired the camber in the front to be negative 1 degree. Unfortunately the shop mechanic said that the MINIMUM he could achieve was negative 2.5 degrees. With camber like that, I'll be buying new tires next week! He insisted that I needed to buy a 'camber kit', and that this wasn't uncommon on cars with 100k+ miles. Does anyone else have experience with this?

For those who are interested.. I purchased the DMS 50 for my Legacy because it will be doing double duty this year. I had a dedicated autox Impreza... but this year my Legacy will be doing RallyX and AutoX. The DMS 50 should provide the flexibility I need to do both sports, and drive to and from work everyday. My first RallyX with the DMS is this weekend in Central, Illinois.

Thanks in advance!

Image[/img]
James Elterman
Nukabe / Cusco Time Attack Impreza
www.ShimmySideways.com
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

do you have camber/adj. plates. imho this would be the best way for you to adj. the camber. but then you will have to take your coilovers out to install them.
XeviousR
In Neutral

Post by XeviousR »

do you have camber/adj. plates
No. I bought the STi Group N bearing plates, but I did not get camber adjustment plates. Where can I get these?
James Elterman
www.ShimmySideways.com
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

noltec, mrt, and cusco make them to name a few. let me know I could find some for you if you would like
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Eibach makes some camber bolts that might help to reduce your camber . . . It's usually used to compensate for their lowering springs on subarus so it's worth a try. I know you can get them from Tire Rack for $80-90.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Camber bolts are crap, trust me...

Find a good set of camber plates and you're golden. All you have to do is jack up the car, loosen the bolts and adjust it how you want.

Dave
(former DMS 40mm owner, God Bless TEIN.)
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

yeah what he said.
XeviousR
In Neutral

Post by XeviousR »

Thanks a lot everyone. I have found a set of rally-grade adjustable camber plates from SPDUSA. Mike Shields of SPD is confident that they will fix the problem. I'll keep you updated.
James Elterman
www.ShimmySideways.com
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Mike Shields is a great guy. I've talked with him via email a few times over the last four years or so. I also met him at the Rim of the World Rally last year. Good luck with the plates!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT