Can I replace air suspension with conventional struts?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dsc
In Neutral

Can I replace air suspension with conventional struts?

Post by dsc »

The air suspension on my friend's 1996 Legacy wagon has gone haywire. I haven't seen it, but I am told the car jumps up and down eratically. The car is due for struts anyway, so I was thinking that I would ditch the air suspension and install conventional struts and strut tops. Are there any reasons why this is a good or bad idea?
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've recommended that most people with failing Air suspensions do this. It's really pretty simple to just replace them.

You'll probably need to go to a salvage yard and just buy the entire struts assembly: top mount, top hat, spring and strut, then depending on the condition of them, possibly get some KYB GR2 replacement struts.

As for the rest, air lines and pump, it can be removed as much or as little as he feels necessary.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

dsc: I have done the swap on my legacy. However I seriously doubt your freind has air suspension. More likely he has standard suspension and they are very worn becuase he doenst take care of the car.

I had always though air suspension stopped in 92-93.