Detailed AWD & 5MT Swap Write-up completed

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Hocrest
First Gear

Post by Hocrest »

The richness was due to not plugging the MAF harness back in when I was done with everything else...

I ended up running a new wire to pin 81 on the ECU and grounding it. Seems to have fixed the CEL.
Dave
[size=75]-97 Legacy (ain't never gonna die)
-92 SVX (attention whore)
-86 Brat (more fun than the SVX)
-92 SVX Racer (lightest SVX)[/size]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good to hear
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
253.Asmo
First Gear

Post by 253.Asmo »

I think I've read the swap wiring write-up about a hundred times (that's normally how long it takes my non-linear brain to figure shit out like this)

My question is that in this picture

It looks like pin 4 from the B15(mt) is wired into pin 9 on the AT side, and pin 2 goes to pin 10.

According to to the write up, it should be the other way around no?

Please help me clear this up. Thanks!
Matt[/img]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You have to remember in that picture, that is not the B15 side of the AT connector, that is actually connector E18, which has the pins inversed when compared to the AT B15 connector.

This scan may help.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... ectors.pdf

Not sure if that answered your question. If not, please let me know.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

253.Asmo
First Gear

Post by 253.Asmo »

I figured that out as far as the AT side went.

But... the only way I end up with the same colors/orientation as the harness in the picture, is if pin 1 on the smaller mt plug (B15) is (looking head on with lock facing down) top right. black red.

I thought as chassis side this should have pin 1 as the green/yellow in top left (with lock facing Up head on)

thanks!
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Does it really matter which pin goes to which pin as long as the neutral wires, both sides, are connected and the reverse wire, again both sides are connected?

The switches on the tranny are just simple N/O or N/C switches correct? No diodes?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That plug in the picture is the actual automatic transmission plug. I cut it off the transmission and used it as a plug and play harness. The FSM doesn't give you those wire colors for the transmission side, only the chassis side.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Re: Detailed AWD & 5MT Swap Write-up completed

Post by Sublimejoe »

I have been thinking of undertaking this on my car, just a few questions on what I may or may not need.

My car is already AWD, but aside from that it is an Automatic 93 Legacy. It is also RHD, so I don't know if that would change anything. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Edoit: Also, is there a reason you went with that specific trans? I have a five speed tranny from a 2006 Forrester sitting in my garage so if that would work things would be much easier (and cheaper.)
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i believe josh went with the six speed becuse theyre a stronger transmission capable of holding more power without grenading.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

ride_child wrote:i believe josh went with the six speed becuse theyre a stronger transmission capable of holding more power without grenading.
Ah, ok. I have an n/a EJ22 so I'm not overly worried about power haha
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sublimejoe wrote:I have been thinking of undertaking this on my car, just a few questions on what I may or may not need.

My car is already AWD, but aside from that it is an Automatic 93 Legacy. It is also RHD, so I don't know if that would change anything. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Edoit: Also, is there a reason you went with that specific trans? I have a five speed tranny from a 2006 Forrester sitting in my garage so if that would work things would be much easier (and cheaper.)

The main difference on the RHD car is going to be the pedal box assembly. In looking through my list of parts that's the only thing that stands out. If you use a hydraulic clutch setup you will also need the RHD clutch master cylinder, hoses, and maybe clutch slave cylinder.

Originally, I used the turbo legacy transmission because I knew I wanted to go turbo at one point. The 06 Forester transmission would work as long as you install the matching rear diff. I do not know what the Forester's final drive ratio is, you'll need to match that. Keep in mind that swapping the forester rear diff in would likely require different rear axles, so I'd recommend finding out what the final drive ratio is and find an older style rear diff to match.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Sorry for the super delayed response.

I picked up a transmission from a 1996 Impreza, and just last week my RHD Legacy pedal box arrived. I am looking at your parts list now, trying to figure out what I still need to grab. I assume I will need the transmission ecu from a 96 Impreza... right? Anything else big you can think of?
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Another quick question, do I need to buy the clutch master and slave for the body (93 Legacy) or the tranny (96 Impreza)? Thanks!
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Clutch master and slave needs to match transmission & especially pedal set type. Didn't you say you bought a RHD cable pedal set? Then you need the appropriate cable and transmission fork. Master and slave cylinders are not used in this setup.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Sublimejoe wrote: I assume I will need the transmission ecu from a 96 Impreza... right? Anything else big you can think of?
Hi,
Thread's getting a little stale (again), but there is NO TCU (trans computer / 'ecu') for manual cars... @ least prior to '99. And you CAN use the same ECU (engine computer) on your '96 for both AT and manual transmissions.....I state this w/some hesitation as you're not in the US (RHD) and not sure if that's 100% true overseas.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

I actually am in the US, Virginia to be exact :)

According to my research the manual trans from the 96 Impreza has the same final drive as my 93 Legacy 4eat, which is 3.9 Is that correct?

I would still need to use an ECU that matches the motor I am putting in correct (EJ20g) since it is turbo and my car is originally N/A
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry, I've been MIA for a while.

As others have noted, you don't need to run the TCU when going to MT. The ECU needs to match the engine you plan to run. Most of the ECU's of this era can run either MT or AT with the appropriate wiring setup.

If the 96 Impreza is like My 97 Impreza then yes it should have 3.9 final drive ratio. You can look at the diff stamp to confirm. The 93 AT rear diff is 3.9.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... f_info.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

OneToolAtATime
In Neutral

Post by OneToolAtATime »

I did a 5 speed swap on my 92 legacy wagon (ej22e) awhile ago. I snipped the at/mt identifier wire at the ecu and I am still suffering from high idle. It isn't all the time, just whenever it wants to. I do not have a vacuum leak (that I've found) and the tps should be fine considering it was set in the same position. I removed the tcu and cruise as well. I can drive it fine as is, but I am going turbo next, so I would like to get this sorted out first. Should I ground the wire I snipped or try reconnecting it? I was a little confused in the write-up when the ecu was switched. Thanks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

OneToolAtATime wrote:I did a 5 speed swap on my 92 legacy wagon (ej22e) awhile ago. I snipped the at/mt identifier wire at the ecu and I am still suffering from high idle. It isn't all the time, just whenever it wants to. I do not have a vacuum leak (that I've found) and the tps should be fine considering it was set in the same position. I removed the tcu and cruise as well. I can drive it fine as is, but I am going turbo next, so I would like to get this sorted out first. Should I ground the wire I snipped or try reconnecting it? I was a little confused in the write-up when the ecu was switched. Thanks.
If you have the 92 ECU that I had then the MT/AT identifier pin should be grounded. However, if that pin was already grounded then it may be different. Do you have a multi-meter you can check whether that wire has continuity to ground? Are you sure that was the correct pin?

I would think the high idle issue should be consistent if it was ECU related.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

WRXish
First Gear

Re:

Post by WRXish »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah....it is the best resource we have.

I like my 90 FSM's because they were used by a mechanic. They are "dirty" they have been updated with new info. There's sections where he taped in the new info over the old stuff. So I like to think the 90 fsm's info is more correct then my 92-94 set because those are brand spanking new.
Was just wondering if there is still a resource for a set of FSM for the 90-91 Legos?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you are wanting paper copies my best suggestion would be to check out ebay or keep you eye on the parts shed. I've seen a couple sold over the years.

Ebay has a couple options now Check me out
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT