Detailed AWD & 5MT Swap Write-up completed

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

k thx

Ill try it when I get back to the shop on thursday
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
DangerWagon
In Neutral

Post by DangerWagon »

This write up looks like it'll be a big help on my project. I am putting a 5 speed from my '97 OBS with blown engine into my '93 legacy turbo. The 4eat has a weird problem that doesn't allow it to shift into 3rd, ever! So I got the car for $650 bucks, and the interior and body are in GREAT shape! Any thoughts on what may be different from your build. Do I use the Flywheel from the OBS or get a new light weight one. What clutch would I use. I know that alot of the Subarus use the same clutch part numbers. I think I would use a stage 1 clutch for future power upgrades. Any help would be great. I am going to put my skills to the test to get this done in time for my next rally cross on the 14th. I already have most of the parts I believe. WIsh me luck!!
Just because my car looks a little beat up doesn't mean its fast.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think the main things that will be different is that I believe the 97 tranny has a speed sensor for the VSS2. You'll need to put a Manual one in, and put the manual piece/extension in.

Flywheel is up to you. However, it's cheaper/best IMO to replace parts like that when you have it apart rather then having to do it again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DangerWagon
In Neutral

Post by DangerWagon »

Oh yeah, I'm doing all the clutch, flywheel and all that stuff while I have access to it when I'm putting the 5 speed in. I'm even going to be working on the other end and putting in a water pump and new timing belt just as. I decided on using a WRX Flywheel, I figure there are more options down the line for the clutch as the WRX has the most after market support of any subaru. Do you have any tips to make my timing belt and water pump relacement go smoother. You are a smart guy, you should know all the in and outs. haha. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I also noticed you have a '97 OBS too. Any work done on it? When mine blew I had 2000 RS springs and KYB AGX's, that combo really livened it up and was dirt cheap! That setup will soon be making the trip to my SS as well.
Just because my car looks a little beat up doesn't mean its fast.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I can't wait until I get around to starting my swap.

The donor car should be here Friday night, but I'm working all weekend so I can't really go mess with it.... :(

Still trying to figure out all the little odds 'n ends I want to replace while I have everything apart.

Probably just going to stick with all the shifter bushings and clutch for now.

Eventually, I want to do the stainless clutch line and group N tranny mount, but I can do those fairly easily after the fact.......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
kingston
First Gear

Post by kingston »

so i think i gathered all the parts i needed for the swap on my 92 SS.

Wasn't sure what the difference is between a manual starter vs. automatic starter. Do i really need to find a manual starter motor for the swap?

Also, as for the crossmember, i need a manual tranny crossmember? In the writeup by Dave Clements he mentions a 3 piece rear crossmember. Those two are the same thing correct?

Didn't know the crossmember was 3 pieces.

Thanks for the help
2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
1989 S13 White Coupe
1992 Winestone Red Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

The stock manual crossmember is a 3-piece unit, while the auto crossmember is a single-piece.

The starters are different. you need a manual starter.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
kingston
First Gear

Post by kingston »

just to be sure, 91 thru current subarus have the same crossmember right?
2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
1989 S13 White Coupe
1992 Winestone Red Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yes they should, as long as it's for the 5MT, and not the 6MT.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kingston
First Gear

Post by kingston »

is this the right crossmember for the 5 speed. sorry...i haven't seen it before and i'm trying to buy one off somebody

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Yes it is.

There is also one other piece that bolts to the tranny and the crossmember. The actual tranny mount is not pictured there.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

For anyone wondering, the wire splices listed in the writeup are accurate for '91.

Still kinda curious about the trans ID pin difference, though. My FSM says that both auto and manual Turbo models see 5v at the pin, but there seems to be differences in the neutral switch wiring.

Oh, well. I'll try wiring it up as shown and see what happens.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What do you mean there seems to be differences in the neutral switch wiring? If you do what I did in my swap it'll be fine. The neutral switch does not change. It's how the ECU interprets it via the trans ID pin.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kingston
First Gear

Post by kingston »

so i'm assuming the other part is the actual tranny mount?

Argh....me stupid :?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Legacy777 wrote:What do you mean there seems to be differences in the neutral switch wiring? If you do what I did in my swap it'll be fine. The neutral switch does not change. It's how the ECU interprets it via the trans ID pin.
That's the funny thing.

For '91, it doesn't list any difference between auto and manual turbo models. If this is true, then how would the ECU know it's a manual or auto ECU?

The only difference in the trans ID pin is for the n/a models.

This may be a typo, though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

kingston wrote:so i'm assuming the other part is the actual tranny mount?

Argh....me stupid :?
The other part in the pic is the manual trans starter.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:For '91, it doesn't list any difference between auto and manual turbo models. If this is true, then how would the ECU know it's a manual or auto ECU?

The only difference in the trans ID pin is for the n/a models.

This may be a typo, though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I'd say it's probably a typo.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Got my swap done.

Nothing is wrong. My reverse lights work, it idles fine, no check engine lights, and I didn't have to cut any wires except to splice the B15 connectors together.

Go figure.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

After driving it around for a while, it seemed as though when cold, it would want to idle higher (about 2k RPM). Once everything warmed up, it acted fine.

I looked under my dash, and it seems it WAS a typo in the FSM. My trans ID pin was grounded, so I snipped it, and it is fine all the time now.

For those curious, it was a black wire with a white stripe. Since the B48 connector is the lowest one on the ECU, it was super easy to get to.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What pin did you snip? B48 20 is the correct pin for all the ECU's I've used.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I'm having problems getting the cruise control working. When you say, "I took pin 1 of the AT's B83 connector and spliced it into pin 2 of the MT's B83 connector", does that mean that pin 2 actually has two wires going into it (black/white and yellow/red wires) or just one (black/white). I see you don't connect up AT's B83 pin 2 (yellow/red), because it goes to the inhibitor switch?

When the car is on, only pin 4 (blue wire) has 12V and all the others do not. This is correct?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, each pin has only one wire going to it. Take the wire from pin 1 of the AT relay and tie it to pin 2 of the MT relay, then 3 to 3, etc.

Do you understand the relay diagram, and how they work?
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... ntrol2.jpg

You are correct, you don't hook up pin 2 from the AT relay.

Pin 4 is tied to the brake switch. If you didn't depress the cruise button, you should have nothing on any of the pins. When the cruise is turned on, and the brake pedal is not depressed, I think you'd probably have 12v on pin 4.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Yea, I'm fairly sure I understand how a relay works and its diagram.

Hmm, well something must not have been properly wired up for my swap, because I DO have 12V on pin 4 with the cruise off and brake pedal NOT depressed. The relay has CA1A-DC12V-N on it -- this is the correct one, right (I've tested it and I believe its a normally open type). Any ideas on why pin 4 (blue wire) has 12V on it always?
Last edited by BSOD2600 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Legacy777 wrote:What pin did you snip? B48 20 is the correct pin for all the ECU's I've used.
It was.

I checked, double checked and triple checked before snipping it.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Well I think I know why my cruise control isn't working -- I hacked the wrong wires! I was wondering why the wire color codes from the cruise control diagrams weren't matching up, but happily went ahead and hacked them apart.

Since I couldn't get the ends out of the connector (shown below), I hacked off the ends and put on clips. Since the relay was screwed to the cruise controller, I assumed it was the one I wanted. After looking over the cruise control schematics, it eppears I hacked apart the main cruise control relay!

I dug around the cruise control computer and found this other connector, with wires that matched what Josh was talking about. Doh!!

This is the one I want to put a NEW open relay on, right?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.