Torquebind >> FWD safe for longterm?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

burnt_toast
First Gear

Torquebind >> FWD safe for longterm?

Post by burnt_toast »

Almost certain I have the dreaded "torque-bind" issue.. :? Car shutters and binding felt while turning full lock.

Putting resistor into FWD slot, clears all binding symptoms. So from what I've gathered solenoid is okay then, but clutchpacks are toast? Still looking into what I actually need to do to fix.

BUT in meantime, how safe is it to drive in FWD mode, longterm? Really want to avoid doing any extra damage.. Talking like a few months here. Since I doubt will have a chance to address the actual issue soon.

Can the drive-train take full load/WOT while in FWD? I know the split is 90/10 in D, is it now 100% to front or still limited to 90% somehow?
'94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon; kyb gr2's/mostly stock
'05 Toyota Corolla XRS - 1.8L 2zz-ge, 6speeds of revtastic fury
burnt_toast
First Gear

Re: Torquebind >> FWD safe for longterm?

Post by burnt_toast »

dang, nobody?

going on 3rd day now driving in FWD.. besides feeling like it got its nuts chopped off without the awd scoot, seems to be doin okay. just trying to stay out of boost on takeoff, soon as turbo hits, wants to peel out eh
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I think you'll be the resident expert on long term turbo fwd SS usage soon. I played around with it on my old NA 1996, but cornering was so sketchy I took the fuse out after a day. I feel like your transmission can handle 100% of the power long term since it defaults to 90% front normally.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The transmission can take the power.

"Long term" is somewhat relative based on the condition of the solenoid. The solenoids are not necessarily designed to work on 100% duty (12v constant) power all the time so it may decrease the solenoids life. But I couldn't tell you whether it would be anything you'd notice in the life of the car.

Regarding fixing the problem, the first thing I would do is change the transmission fluid if you haven't done it recently. Some have had luck with transmission additives to help clean the clutch packs so they stop binding, so that may be an option. Typically you end up with clutch pack issues if you don't change the transmission fluid regularly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

Did some more research into long term effects and its hit or miss. Got annoyed at peeling out at stops and now back to awd and taking wide turns..

Also have a bead on a used 4EAT can pick up for cheap, but condtion and mi unknown other than claimed to come from running legacy, but from a 95. noticed the speedo sensor hookup is different, there's probably other compatibility issues? not sure i want to chance it anyway, install then have other mystery problems or something.

Trans fluid change is my next step then. So far, have only done rear diff and added Trans-X Posi Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive. Is this the same additive that can be added to trans fluid? Pretty sure that's what I've gathered from other posts, but def want to make sure first

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I am not familiar with that particular additive. I like Seafoam products and after you do the fluid change, if you still have problems you may want to give their Trans tune a try.

https://seafoamsales.com/hydra-trans-tune/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

Legacy777 wrote:I am not familiar with that particular additive. I like Seafoam products and after you do the fluid change, if you still have problems you may want to give their Trans tune a try.

https://seafoamsales.com/hydra-trans-tune/
Wow, never thought of using seafoam for something other than engine. Nice tip, thank you!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

Have been trying to find what's best trans fluid to use, with mixed results.

Some say off brands will swell seals and cause damage. And Subaru has an oem trans oil for our older cars, haven't priced yet but bet its not cheap.

Others have had luck with penzoil and valvoline max life trans oils.. the valvoline is like 20bucks at autozone, and the one i'd like to try most, since i plan to do the 3x 1per wk drain and fill.

then there's amsoil, which seems good too.

picked up the hydra tune, now just shopping for the best trans fluid that won't break the bank.
any suggestions are welcome! :smt026
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you're going to be draining and filling, just use a cheap good name brand fluid. There's no reason to use expensive stuff if you're just using it as a flush.

The only difference between fluids is the base oil stock and the additive package. It's like making chicken noodle soup. You have a base broth you use. Some use from a package and some may make it from scratch from a broth that has had chicken marinating in it. The different vegetables and stuff is like the additive package.

The main difference you'll see in the base oil stock is non-synthetic and synthetic. Additive packages will vary, but again if you're just going to have the fluid in there for a short time I wouldn't worry too much.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

Legacy777 wrote:If you're going to be draining and filling, just use a cheap good name brand fluid. There's no reason to use expensive stuff if you're just using it as a flush.

The only difference between fluids is the base oil stock and the additive package. It's like making chicken noodle soup. You have a base broth you use. Some use from a package and some may make it from scratch from a broth that has had chicken marinating in it. The different vegetables and stuff is like the additive package.

The main difference you'll see in the base oil stock is non-synthetic and synthetic. Additive packages will vary, but again if you're just going to have the fluid in there for a short time I wouldn't worry too much.
great advice as always Josh. :smt023

just a quick update for all:
mind you my last post was some time in May of 2017, and it is now December 2017.

I ended up 1st draining some trans fluid, then dumped the "Seafoam Hydra-Trans Tune", and drove a minimum of 30mi as directed. Next I did ONE single drain and fill ~5qt using Valvoline ATF from autozone, and again topping off with another can of the Hydra Trans Tune, until at correct fluid level.

Results: ALL Torque-bind symptoms GONE!! Have been driving bind free this entire time (6+ months). That stuff was a blessing in a can. Note= I only did the procedure once, and got these results, have not even repeated the recommended 3x times to get full fluid circulation. But as she drives now, just don't see a need for it. color me impressed lol another big thanks Josh!

highly recommend anyone who experiences torque-bind to try this first, has so far saved me a ton of money/headache, and has allowed me to keep dailying bind free. win win
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I’m glad to hear your torquebind has been gone for six plus months. That’s great!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT