awd to fwd

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

awd to fwd

Post by TurboLegacy »

i blew second gear in my awd 5spd. no junkyard has awd 5spd for under 500, but i found a fwd 5spd for $125. will the fwd tranny mount correctly to my engine?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

The tranny should mount up to your engine just fine. However, I'd be a little more concerned about killing the FWD tranny. That and you're going to have some brutal wheel spin if you don't tune your turbo engine down just a hair. When the roads are wet I can break my tires loose shifting into second, even on level... Keep us posted though.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

it will work but you may want to grab the FWD rear crossmember trailing arms hubs shocks and springs.

unless driving the car around w/just the main driveshaft removed and leaving the awd rear stuff there will be OK. im not sure maybe someone else knows better about this.

just something to consider.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i had to use a fwd clutch becasue of the difference in the pull type and the push type and i had to switch to a cable clutch
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
scoobydoo
In Neutral

Post by scoobydoo »

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i had to use a fwd clutch becasue of the difference in the pull type and the push type and i had to switch to a cable clutch

I want to do the same thing but was wondering if a front lsd diff is available for these FWD transmissions and did you have to switch to the FWD flywheel or did you stay with the AWD flywheel?
Please let me know. Thanks.