Driveline clunking??

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Busdriver
First Gear

Driveline clunking??

Post by Busdriver »

I just took my soobster down Baja for the second time, and it was great! I went on several dirt roads, good ones, bad ones, long and short.... No worries at all, even picked up a full size spare at the local Yonke before leaving.
My last night I parked at a weired angle with some wheels compressed and others lifted high, don't know why, but...
Anyways on my way onto the main road I hear this loud clunking when I start to release the clutch after putting in gear. There is only on THUD and then only very slight spinning noise. Everthing works great, but that sound has me worried. It seems to be coming from between the front and back seats pretty much in the middle. I also have other worries now, such as completely busted shocks, it bounces like crazy and going through a corner if I hit a bump it feels like the back is almost breaking loose... One of the wheels can be shaken by hand, so probably wheel bearing, and the other side makes some kind of noise....
so there's this 91 AWD AUTOMATIC sedan at the local yonke, will that driveshaft fit my 91 AWD 5-speed? what parts do I have to get new?
Does this sound like the driveshaft bearing?

Thanks
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

The '91 Sedan is in Washington state, check the thread, the phone number is posted and the wrecking yard will ship parts.
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

No no, there is a sedan at a yonke near me in SoCal.
Would this driveshaft (91 L AWD Automatic sedan) be compatible with my 91 L AWD Manual wagon?
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Can you turn your driveshaft when parked in neutral? I can turn the shaft about half an inch around, that's when it stops due to the rear diff. being locked by the wheels on the ground.
I assume the driveshaft is supposed to be able to move up and down a little in the middle where the "bearing" is, right?
how can I check this bearing to see if it is the culprit of the clunking? I'm by myself and don't have a lift.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Automatics and manuals are different lengths
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

different tailshaafts too right?
the problem definitely sounds like a bad carrier bearing and should NOT be able to move.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Thanks guys, that saved me a trip to the yonke!
So I can hear a loud vibration (a mild continuous clunking) when I let off of the gas and when I apply the brakes in second to the point of getting close to stalling.
Right now I can move the driveshaft up and down at the center bearing, about half an inch.
I can also turn the driveshaft about half an inch.
So the movement up and down at the center bearing is not normal?
It looks like the centerbearing is surrounded by rubber so this movement would be dampened...?
Unless this movement is actually allowing the bearing or shaft to hit the floorpan.
So automatic and manual shafts are different lengths, is that correct? what years will fit mine?
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Josh or anyone do you guys have any hints or tips on removing and installing a driveline?
The tranny and rear diff will still be in in both cars.
I would like to keep it that way too, is this possible, or do I have to remove one of them?
What tools will I need besides a ratchet?
I was going to try to drive 40 miles today to a yonke, so if you guys could answer soon, would be great. the yards close at 5 here, soo silly...
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Any of the Legacy years will fit, provided its the correct transmission type.

For tools, if you're going to pull the driveshaft, a 14mm socket for the centre bolts, as well as that plate that protects where it bolts to the diff, and a 12mm wrench and either a small pry bar or large screwdriver to undo the driveshaft to diff flange nuts.

I think thats it... But this may be too late, now that I look at the time on your post.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Do I have to remove the exhaust to replace a driveshaft?
The junker's exhaust system was already removed, made it nice and easy. Where are the best placed to dismantle the exhaust system, if I even have to remove it?