Tranny took a scheit...

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Tranny took a scheit...

Post by free5ty1e »

Interesting day today. Was driving from Elko to Reno for a doctor's appointment (no pain management doctors in Elko) along a ~300 mile stretch of I-80... only made it about halfway before I had to turn around and try to limp home. Didn't make it all the way back - my poor white Legacy is outside Carlin on the side of the highway.

So, as I was headed out, cruising around 90 mph (I friggin love this highway), my speed sensor decided that I was not moving anymore. The odometer followed suit. I says to myself, "Self, this speed sensor ain't doin it's jorb." and noted that everything else seemed just fine and dandy. A couple minutes later, the ECU decided it didn't believe the speed sensor and turned on the Check Engine light. Nothing seemed affected, still had loads of power and ice cold A/C and such. I wasn't worried, I was still going to be on time for my appointment.

Or maybe not. Another 20 minutes or so later, while cruising along, tranny spat the selector out of 5th and left me rolling. This was where it started to disturb my outlook on the situation. I attempted to shift it back in and re-engage the clutch, and it spat right back out again. Hmm.

Coasted down a bit and estimated where I thought I could safely try and engage 4th gear, tried it out, and it seemed functional. Interesting. So, I pulled off to the side and called my doctor to cancel the appointment, checked tranny fluid (seemed as though it could use a bit, but not terrible), dug around and found gear oil, then couldn't find a funnel, so aborted altogether. Continued back along the highway until I saw a relatively drivable median through which to U-turn (exits are really far apart 'round here) and began the trip back in 4th gear. My GPS was telling me I was cruising at 55mph now.

So, couple hours later (3?), about 20 miles outside of Elko, the transmission clunked - felt like I briefly jammed on the brake pedal but I did not - and started making speed-related tapping noises. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder and noticed a strange thing. Even with the stick in neutral (as far as I know, anyway), the engine seemed as though it was meeting with resistance and having trouble idling - until I pressed the clutch in, at which point it idled fine. Let the clutch out, it got worse, and then stalled. It was then that I tried to shift through the gears and discovered that I could only find two valid positions: "neutral" and "5th" - all other positions met with extreme resistance that I did not feel as though I should push through.

I tried to start the car again to move it more off the highway, but at soon as I let the clutch out it stalled again. I tried starting it again and attempting to start off in what I thought to be 5th, the car moved slightly but then clunked again, spat out of 5th, and stalled. I decided I did not want to risk any further damage, and attempted to push the car in neutral off to the side more. I discovered that I could not push the car myself. It wasn't until my father showed up and pushed the car while I held the clutch in that we got it moved to a safer position. And, while the car was being pushed, the tranny clunked BAD every couple feet, with the clutch all the way in. It feels like it's physically no longer lined up with everything somehow. :cry:

Anyway, I'll be preparing the trailer and winch to go get it, which will probably happen in the morning. Once I get it back here to the hotel I will crawl under it and see if I can notice anything but I'm not very confident. Not really sure if I have any questions at this point, or if anyone would have any suggestions, I'm just really bummed and not sure what will happen yet...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

:(...

I do have to say though, your tranny did feel kinda grumpy when I drove it...

If you want, you can crack the case and see if it's rebuildable. If so, and you can afford it and have other transport while the car is down, I'd have it rebuilt.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

sounds like it ate a gear.... mine did the same thing when i broke 2nd. it would idle fine with the clutch pushed in, but as soon as you let it out the car would rattle really loud, jerk sometimes, then die.
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Just got it back to the hotel safely, after hooking up a brake controller in my Bronco. Thank Jeebus for car trailers and power winches.

It's too freaking hot outside right now to check it out, but tomorrow morning when it's cool and shaded I'll see what it looks like under there.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Still haven't really had a chance to get under the car and get a good look at my poor transmission, I've been busy with a John Deere backhoe rental (making a level pad on very unlevel vacant land for a foundation)...

but since it is likely that I will need a new transmission (so I have time to rebuild this one, maybe swap 'er into the silver SS later and get rid of the autotragic), I saw this in the parts shed:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/188309037.html

But it's a 4.11, whereas my stock rear diff is a 3.90 correct? Would this mean that I can't swap it directly in without getting a 4.11 rear differential (or the front wheels would be trying to spin at a different speed than the rear wheels for a given engine speed)? What do you guys think?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

Hey sorry to hear about your tranny. The one that you saw on Craiglist appears to be out of a N/A Legacy, if it is, then it's a cable tranny. Your SS has a hydraulic clutch.

Good luck with the SS,

Pye
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Why not just put the na tranny in the car with the broken tranny instead of having two cars down?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

My '92 works fine as an A-B car, but the autotragic slips like a sumbitch under heavy acceleration - so I don't do that.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Whew... just got finished trailering the car in to a local mechanic for an appointment I made last week (them's busy). After hearing my description of the symptoms, and helping me push the car off the trailer (and feeling the clunks even with the clutch in), he's pretty convinced I'ma gonna needa new transmission. He said he'd get back to me later today after he had a chance to take a look at it...

Damn... so nobody has a manual turbo tranny for sale? I'm sure this is gonna be hella expensive. If it's too much I might just have to load it back on the trailer and drag it away, and wait until I have my garage to take the tranny apart and try a rebuild or something.

That was another thing, this guy seemed to know Subaru manual transmissions but then he also said something about a problem rebuilding them due to some issue caused by the aluminum case, I don't remember exactly what he said.

Man I'm hella anxious, I just know this is going to cost a fortune :cry:
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

So, looks like it will be $650 + freight for a transmission from Idaho... + $600 or so in labor (he said like 7-8 hours!). God damn it all to hell.

Although, it seems as though I may have my baby back up and running in a week or so.

I do want to keep the old transmission though. If I can eventually rebuild it or salvage parts from it... my '92 still needs a 5MT at some point.

Weak.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Thanks for the link, I'm surprised that service actually returns results instead of just asking for information to contact you later with a quote. Neat.

Nothing I find there is a good enough deal to nix what I've already agreed to with this mechanic. Oh well.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Labor is 8.13 hours I believe to rebuild a trans. R&I is usually 6.25 or so hours flat-rate.

Ship me your trans and $4500 and we'll build you a straight (or helical) PPG Syncro box. Last tranny you'll ever need.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Dammit Phil . . . Maryland needs to be closer to Washington! I'll be needing a straight-cut 6MT gearset in about 4-6 months. :shock:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Phil... man I wish I could. If anything, that might be what I'm holding onto my busted tranny for. Someday I sure would like a bulletproof transmission.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Art, Just let me know. We are working to develop a 6-gear straight and helical syncro gearbox for the STi. It's coming along well, but so far the only option we have open is the 4, 5, and 6 gear dogboxes (the 5 gear box removing 6th gear all together). Pricey, but also ultra bulletproof.

Chris, It's a big bite to take, but it's totally worth it. The gear ratios make everything sweeter. A few of our recent customers have been playing with modded STi's on the street. One made 315whp, and from a 40 roll was neck and neck to a number of head dizzying speeds with a 430whp STi. Oh the glory of long ratios.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

So, I also need a whole new clutch kit due to this transmission failure... some fingers broke off the pressure plate and chewed up the clutch disc. Luckily the ACT lightweight WRX flywheel survived.

So... only WRX (non-STi) clutches from 2002-2004 are the correct cross-reference for me, right? I'm just looking to spend as little as possible, I don't want my mechanic to go find a clutch kit - he will charge me way more. So far this is the best deal on a real Exedy/Daikin kit I could find. Anyone have a better deal please for the love of god let me know!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-SU ... 3774QQrdZ1

Also - still waiting to hear on how much it will cost to get a JDM 4.11 turbo tranny with a matching rear 4.11 open differential. I doubt I can find a rear LSD in time, especially for the cash I have. Are WRX 5-speed trannies an option for me? If so, what years/models?

Damn I miss that car.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I will look on a price for you, I MIGHT be able to save you some money.

$459.01 for the Exedy Stage 1 if you want.

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Nah, I'm just looking for OE clutch solutions at this point. I figure I won't really need all the holding power just yet anyway, with my burnt exhaust valve and no hope of any headwork before winter sets in... by the time I'm ready for a better clutch I'll also have a garage / lift / tranny jack and will replace it meself.

I think I have everything figured out here... JDM tranny from Frantic Four, matching rear LSD from blackbart with stubs, Daikin OE clutch kit from eBay shop. For a little under $1000 in parts and hopefully around $600 in labor I will be set.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

OK, so more like $900 in labor, but this 4.11 tranny with Uncle Scotty's cocktail in there is smoov as a mofuggah! The gears are noticably shorter, it feels great.... I'm so freaking happy to have this car back! Now, I just need a garage of my own again...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

$900 for what!?!!?!

Just to swap a transmission? You got the shaft yo!

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

yeah, he charged me for the differential swap too, which apparently bills 3 hours. It could have been much worse.

Edit: I think I was also charged for some storage of my vehicle on his lot while all the waiting for parts was going on, which is kinda unfair from my standpoint but I guess I understand his side too. I hate letting someone else work on my cars but in this case I didn't have a choice without a garage of my own. Oh well... again, it could have been a LOT worse. I'm glad I was able to provide the parts myself at least so I know what went in. He did seem to do a good job.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock