how to remove rear axle stub???

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallyboy_96
In Neutral

how to remove rear axle stub???

Post by rallyboy_96 »

i need to rebuilt my rear diff on a 1991 legacy with the lsd.
but i can't figure out how to remove the rear axle stub. i know on some car they have a little bolt that hold it but i cant see it

somebodu can help me on that ???
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

From the diff?

The axle is held onto the diff with a roll pin. The diff has male stubs attached to it, and the axle is held onto the stub with the pin.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

what u r talking about is the axle shaft. me i want to disassembly the rear diff. and i cannot remove the axle stub (the male part that u r talking). do i just need to pull on cause they have a circlip inside ???
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Look inside the male stub, there is a star head/8pt bolt that connects it to one of the pinion gears. As to what size this is or where the heck your going to find a deepwell that will fit in there im still looking myself. Let me know if you find something
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

that's the point... i look inside themale stub and theres nothing.. no hex bolt. and no thread. it's just a little hole with nothing in it. that's why i,m asking if there 2 different model in that case.????
Hocrest
First Gear

Post by Hocrest »

All I've seen are held in with a reverse torx head bolt. Are you sure it's not just covered in dirt and grease?

I've never been able to find the proper socket, but if it isn't too rusted a standard 1/4 drive 8mm will work if you pound it onto the head. An impact wrench is a BIG help here.
Dave
[size=75]-97 Legacy (ain't never gonna die)
-92 SVX (attention whore)
-86 Brat (more fun than the SVX)
-92 SVX Racer (lightest SVX)[/size]
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

i look again and there's no dirt , nothing block the hole. the male stubs can move like a normal halfshaft, so that's why i'm asking if i just have to hammer it out. like a normal halfshaft???
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Taking a quick look at my FSM, it looks like for the LSD, the stubs (spindles) are simply held in with circlips.

I looked, and yours is just like the one I took out of mine, and the hole is just a hole. Nothing in it. It mentions the spindle set bolt for non-LSD units......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

ok thank u
so i'll pull it out like a normal halfshaft
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

ya it work.... they have a circlip in it so u just have to pull it hard
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

So you just gripped the stubs somehow and pulled them out?
Did you put a rod or something through the spring pin holes to have something to hold onto?
Any special tools used, like a puller to remove the bearing races?

I need to get the axle stubs out without damaging them so I can remove the LSD from the diff housing.
90 L+ wgn
rallyboy_96
In Neutral

Post by rallyboy_96 »

ya i put a screwdriver in the hole and pry it out.
and i did'nt used any special tool.
for the bearing race, o'm not used to use that word in my first language... if u mean the place where the bearing sit, u just have to unscrew the couple 12 mm head bolton each side of the diff.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

It worked! I used a metal rod in the spring pin hole and 2 prybars for balance. Thanks!
The bearing race is the ring that holds the roller bearings, not the outer part with 12mm bolts. The race doesn't have to be removed for what I need.
90 L+ wgn