tranny????

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Suzie-Q
First Gear

tranny????

Post by Suzie-Q »

yesterday i encountered a large issue with my car. i was driving around downtown and, out of nowhere, when i pressed the gas pedal the engine would rev as if i was in neutral, while i was in drive. it would grab a few seconds later, but the speed would skip around with constant gas pedal pressure. i entered the freeway, and at 5500 rpms my car would not go past 59 mph. i could hit the gas and nothing would happen except an increase in rpms, but when i would let off the car would jerk as if i was in a low gear. eventually, around 2 miles later, the max speed dropped to 45 mph at the same rpms as before. i began to pull over and the car was smoking like mad. fluid started leaking all over the road, and i had to have the car towed. i did not hear anything happen before this, and although it is a 16-year old tranny, i would have expected some sort of warning sign. it is sitting at a car repair shop to be looked at tomorrow, but i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this. i am not sure if the fluid is all tranny fluid or engine oil or both, but it did not smell like oil and was somewhat thin. the car idled just fine for a few minutes afterward, so i think the engine is fine. but i dunno. help??
91 Mica Ruby Pearl L Sedan[color=#800000][/color]
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Is this a manual or automatic?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Post by Suzie-Q »

sorry...auto
WagonMadness
In Neutral

Post by WagonMadness »

sounds like it is time to swap in a 5 speed. From what it sounds like i think the tranny will need a rebuild, something is slipping. good luck with whatever you deside to do. Hopefully it is something small to fix but again good luck
93 subaru legacy wagon
97 Subaru Impreza (g/f's car)
88 chevy Camaro
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

lol mr problem solver here ^^ XD

But yes does sound like it's time for a new transmission. You must have been running low on transmission fluid. Was the fluid red?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Post by Suzie-Q »

i don't know what color the fluid was. it was 10 at night on black asphalt and i am irresponsible and did not have a flashlight :(
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Post by Suzie-Q »

bad transmission. car will be sold as is or for parts. see parts shed.