What is the stock flywheel weight??

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Canadian Turbo
First Gear

What is the stock flywheel weight??

Post by Canadian Turbo »

OK so my engine is out so I figure that since my clutch is toast and the flywheel needs to be re-surfaced, well why not change it for a lighter one!!

I've spent over 100$ on lighter pulleys so a few $$ on a lighter flywheel seems like a no-brainer.

--What is the weight of our stock flywheel??
--What is the weight of a stock WRX flywheel?? (giving them away on NASIOC, not even worth re-surfacing mine
--Just to confirm any flywheel that fits an 04 WRX will fit mine

I found a lightened cromo flywheel for 125$ shipped, it's off a 04 WRX, hence the questions.

If the WRX wheel is considerably lighter I might just put one of those on for 40$

Thanks
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I remember hearing that the stock flywheel was ~26 lbs.

WRX one is probably very similar.

The WRX flywheel and clutch are 228mm vs. 225mm for stock Legacy Turbo...

The $125 WRX flywheel would be a good choice...

I have a ~11lb spec one...and it is fabulous; just don't choose a really grabby clutch.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

I remember weighing both (EJ22T & WRX) when I put the WRX clutch in mine, I dont recall the exact numbers but the WRX one is 2 or 3 pounds heavier. I still have my old (trashed) stocker somewhere I'll try and remember to throw it on the scale.

Just a note, if you go too light you will have idle problems.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I'm picking up my buddy's Fidanza 13lbs flywheel for my '92 SS for dirt cheap. He loved it & it assisted in quicker spool up on the turbo too. But you have to remember that if you use a lightened flywheel & lightened crank pulley, you will likely run into problems. Weight reduction on the crank is a plus in the HP direction, but too much weight removed can start to cause issues. Matt (legacy92ej22t) ran this combo on his car & disliked it greatly.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to add my two cents. I've got a Exedy LW flywheel. It's about 14lbs. I don't particularly care for how the car drives. It's very finicky in traffic.

I do have a LW pulley on as well. I could try putting the stock pulley back on and see how things are, but I have my doubts that it will change anything.

Anyway...my recommendation would be to keep the stock weighted FW, or only something slightly lighter.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Conclusion

Post by Canadian Turbo »

OK, thanks for all the advice.

From this I conclude that:
-I'll avoid the WRX stock clutch because I'm looking to make my car EASIER to learn to heel and toe properly.
-I don't want to run into check engine problems though, so I'll avoid the really light flywheels.

Does the 228mm vs 225mm cause any issues???

Anyone have a lead on a 16 - 20 lb flywheel in good shape!!??
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just curious, how did you come to your conclusion about the wrx stock clutch....I didn't see any info in this thread about it.....do you have another thread?

The 02 wrx clutches aren't that good and do produce clutch judder. I've got one unfortunately. I'd like to replace it with a new one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

555BCTurbo wrote:I remember hearing that the stock flywheel was ~26 lbs.

WRX one is probably very similar.

The WRX flywheel and clutch are 228mm vs. 225mm for stock Legacy Turbo...
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

Still no conclusion about the WRX flywheel.

I've driven many familly owned subarus over the last 8 years and they ALL had clutch shudder. (97 impreza worst!!, 92 legacy non turbo, 06 RS, 98 outback)

That was sort of the point of this thread was to sus out what stock clutch might be lighter than ours, since stockers from any model are always cheap. AND if aftermarker lightened models are worth it.

The only real conclusion that I came to was that I want a 15-20lb clutch.

I've searched NAIOC and not found any concrete info on the stock WRX weight, but a few mentions of 26lbs, among others, I'm still skeptical.

Somebody earlier on in the thread mentioned that they thought the WRX flywheel was a few lbs heavier than our stocker. So I've sort of rulled that out.

Another good question, is the STI flywheel any lighter?? and how much does it weigh!!!!???
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

The stock WRX flywheel is made out of metal and bigger than the stock SS flywheel... that typically equals heavier. But regardless, they are somewhat close.

The only lightweight flywheel worth mentioning is the 14lb Exedy flywheel. This was put in some cars OEM, IIRC. It's made with daily driving in mind. The Exedy is in unknown 10's of thousands of cars without issue. I love mine, throttle blipping for double clutching is a dream. Absolutely no issues except the very rare soft stall. (Car just magically stops if clutch let out slightly too fast, w/ heavier flywheel engine would probably shutter but keep running). It's made out of a solid piece of solid billet steel, aluminum frankenstein flywheels scare me.

Your only option for heavier than the Exedy flywheel, that I know of, is to have a stock one lightened. That's a little risky unless you find someone that does that specifically for a living, which I doubt.

Your best bet is to pick up an OEM Exedy WRX clutch & pressure plate, Exedy flywheel, and put your stock pullies back on (those have been shown to only increase power by less than 2 horsepower if the accessory belt is taken completely off.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

My WRX clutch has a fairly hard peddle feel, I'm not sure how it compares to the stock turbo clutch as mine was shot when I bought the car. Mine will shutter when its cold if you aren’t careful with the peddle, once you get some heat into it, it smoothes out.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Had an Exedy in my 93 and I liked it. Have an Exedy in my 00 and I love it, though I have much more torque than a turbocharged car at lower rpms, so stalling is far less common.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Very interesting thread. Will the stock pully help Josh like his LW flywheel better???

I remember another really interesting thread on LW flywheels and clutch choices and part numbers with some good information on this board. Also where to buy...

Search "Exedy and part number" and check it out...\

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

It's all about inertia. Either you get a fast-revving engine with lightweight, fast-moving parts like featherweight flywheels, pulleys, rods, valvesprings, etc, and find it hard to get moving, or you have heavier parts that use their momentum and kinetic energy to make moving from a stop easier.

It's amazing how much lighter a "lightweight" flywheel for an H4 is compared to one for a Ford 302. These Centerforce flywheels, from billet steel, are 23-33lbs. The 23 would be the equivalent of a ultra-lightweight 8lbs wheel on a Subaru.

http://www.racepages.com/parts/flywheel ... rquis.html

I prefer to free up power and make rev-matching easier. I don't drive in much stop-go traffic, and if I did, I might have an automatic :)
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I totally agree. It's a give & a take in the situation at hand. You have to decide which is more important to you, launching off the start (typically best for N/A applications) or faster engine revs (spooling up a turbo quicker)?
Jason
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

After lots of reading, here and on NASIOC I agree that it depends on your application.

I'm building this car to be driven hard, not in traffic. I want to learn to heal and toe well. This car won't be taking off gently very often, so stalling won't be an issue.

My gf has a VW rabbit that has so much torque it makes driving my subie around town seem really stupid.

I bought a Exedy 14lb clutch 125$ shipped!!! but it needs to be resurfaced. I'll be installing it when I put my rebuilt engine back in and I'll update on how it turns out.

Thanks everyone.
Canadian Turbo
First Gear

Post by Canadian Turbo »

Oh I almost forgot the #'s all in one place for comparison

The information I have gathered:

Our turbo stock flywheel = 26 lbs I whent to the garage and weighed mine, Duhh.

A WRX flywheel = 27 - 29 lbs and 3mm bigger

An STI 5 spd Flywheel = ???????

Exedy flywheel = 14 lbs

flywheel between 15 ans 25 lbs, hard to find, need to lighten a stocker
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Good info to know.
Jason
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

So, from what i have read, an 04 WRX would fit my BJ, but it isn't recommended because it would be better to just get a lighter flywheel?

I'm asking because I found an 04 WRX flywheel and clutch with 51K miles on them for $60 for both. My clutch is bad and I didn't know if this was the way to go for the price?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Aeryck
In Neutral

Re: What is the stock flywheel weight??

Post by Aeryck »

I need a new flywheel for my stock automatic. I can't find one. Any ideas?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Look up "flex plate" instead, I'll bet you'll find some matches.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

Aeryck wrote:I need a new flywheel for my stock automatic. I can't find one. Any ideas?
Is this for a SS/TW automatic? I bought one brand new from Subaru back in 2012ish.

https://www.discountedsubaruparts.com/p ... siteid=528

48 bucks + shipping for a new one from Subaru
I would be weary of buying a used one. My old flexplate/driveplate sheared off at the crank flange.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper