5mt out 6mt in

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Really the spider gears? Hmm. Is there any way to put in stronger spider gears or reinforce the R160?

Have you tried using Redline MTL for those syncros? That sounds like a stupendously short lifespan for those syncros but it happens I guess. It's all in how you shift. My RX7 had the same problem with syncros but the Redline MTL really helps. It's meant for trannies with syncro problems, the formula actually adds more friction between the syncro rings and helps them engage. A more slippery transmission oil can help reduce wear on the syncros and prevent that damage from happening in the first place. Redline has a bunch, I think Shockproof is the one that you would put in like a new manual transmission. I'd have to check about the Hypoid differential thing though. I don't know if it meets the stricter requirements for that.
-Doug Wilson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Subaru transmissions need to have GL5 rated oil due to the hypoid gears in the differential sharing the fluid with the syncros.

Unfortunately, the ideal fluid for hypoid & syncros are not the same, so there's typically a compromise....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

All the local Subi club AutoX and track guys here swear by Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the MT's, I've been running it myself in a '98 GF8 for a few years now with no issues.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

When I got T-boned in August, I was using Valvoline dino 75w90. The only other oil that worked well was Amsoil Syncromesh, but it is a 5w30 with a ton of friction modifiers in it. I took it out because it didn't work well cold, but worked well hot. The Dino oil is the other way around.

When I do actually refresh the tranny, I'll be using Extra-S, the factory oil. A five gallon pail(the only way you can get it) is about $150 and change.

Mine was ran real hard before I got it, so these things can and do happen. A friend of mine tracked his '04 STi a ton, and ended up needing it refreshed for the same reason, except his problem was in the 3-4 shift, since he spent a lot of time on high speed tracks. He also roasted his R180 in a hard 45 minute session on the track.

I wouldn't worry about your rear diff so much. Unless you plan on hard launches with a lot of power, you should be fine. My motto is, cross that bridge when you come to it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:My motto is, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Very good motto to have.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

Legacy777 wrote: ...but even with the 5spd it makes driving it much more of a bear, ...
93forestpearl wrote: ... The 6 puck cerametallic with the light flywheel makes it much more of a bear to drive...
Hmm, I was thinking, "hmm, so it appears bear-ness is bad, unless it's my g/f.. then it's gooood!" sorry, I had to.. :3

93forestpearl wrote: ... and I only kill it every few days now. :lol: Since I haven't driven it in a hair over a month, I'd probably be back at noob status...
My six puck (non-sprung) clutch didn't like anything near a smooth takeoff... mine would die every once in a while...

93forestpearl wrote: ... I do like the engagement of the 6 puck though. It feels very solid, and it laughs at me if I launch at 5k. My axles probably aren't laughing though....
OH Sweet Jesus! 5K launches... O.o My trans would have died for sure, I swear my quick run through kleinkid's old trans the other day killed it second gear... I was so bummed too, cause that lil 5spd had done so well too! Vincent sold it to me back in July, and it never gave me any issue until the day second gear died. I just had an ACT HD pressureplate and stock, but new SS clutch... I swear it doesn't feel like my cars THAT powerful, but I guess it's a combination of things...

So these six speeds aren't any longer the weak link once installed? I can handle breaking axles... they're MUCH CHEAPER!
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
biggreen96
Third Gear

Re: 5mt out 6mt in

Post by biggreen96 »

How do you have the speedometer hooked up? I'm sitting here in the rally car doing wiring and realized there is no speedo cable coming out of the 6mt, just that sensor. Can I tap that and make the stock cluster display current speed?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

biggreen96 wrote:How do you have the speedometer hooked up? I'm sitting here in the rally car doing wiring and realized there is no speedo cable coming out of the 6mt, just that sensor. Can I tap that and make the stock cluster display current speed?
remove the sensor and screw in the gray plastic peice with the cable sticking out of it.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Serious? Damn, ok. Too easy. Thanks man.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol yup. My trans came with a sensor too but I just unscrewed it and screwed in my speedo cable.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

So I see there is alot of information all scattered aorund in here about the 6mt swap but did anyone ever come up with a write up about it so its a little more condensed and not so scattered? I am highly considering doing this swapp so I was wondering.
Magnetrax
In Neutral

Post by Magnetrax »

can anyone clarify the details about swapping stubs.
do the 04's come with the correct axle stubs from the factory?
do you have to split the trans to install the correct stubs? if so, how do you do that?

thanks for all the info on this thread! my 91 needs a new tranny and I'm thinking it is worth the extra $1500 to get a 6mt.
yea buddy.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Some do some don't. My 04 didn't. You don't have to split the case, but you do need to install new stub specific seals which involves undoing the rings on the side of the case. It was a 1 hour job with the trans on the workbench.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm stickying this
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

how did you folks that did the 6 speed swap get the speedometer to work? thanks.
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

Unscrew the electric speedo sensor from the tranny and screw the cable from the speedo into that hole.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

Deride wrote:Unscrew the electric speedo sensor from the tranny and screw the cable from the speedo into that hole.
looks like i will be running the link ecu with the 6 speed.

if i went the route above, i would be able to get the speedo working (mechanical) but the ecu won't be able to get speed and gearing readings (electrical), correct?

is there a way to make the speedometer work mechanically and yet still be able to hook up to ecu to recognize speed electronically?

thanks.

yat
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

the ecm in our cars gets speed signal from speedometer , if the cable is hooked up and your speedometer is reading should be (electrical) a signal going to ecm.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yat,

As mentioned in my email to you, the mechanical speedo outputs a digital signal to the ECU, so all you need to do is tap into that signal and run it to a digital input on your link.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

ok guys, 91 NA wagon here, 4.111 rear axle ratio, existing transmission is showing its age, thinking while I have the engine out, it would be a good time to install a new tranny....is there a 6 speed that will bolt in and work with my 4.11 rear axle? All the verbage at the beginning of this thread confused me because it wasnt clear to me what works with what. I would love to keep the 4.11 final drive since I am staying NA.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

No there is not. The 6-speed is probably not a good option for you. 6th is generally a bit higher RPMs than most 5-speeds, and the trans alone costs in the ballpark of $3,000. The gear ratios are designed for racing, not efficiency.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Unless you find a legacy spec B trans- not racing oriented, but still $$$$.