5mt out 6mt in

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

5mt out 6mt in

Post by kleinkid »

I located and purchased '04 6mt in Portland, Oregon, and left it on the shop floor at PDX Tuning until I gathered the parts neccesary to complete the swap. Included were the STi starter, slave cylinder , a shift linkage with a Cobb short shifter, and a 6 speed shift knob. It was later determined that the shift linkage had some damage, so I traded it for a shifter with a Kartboy short shifter that PDX had, and added Kartboy poly bushings. I also provided the stub axles, appropriate sized axle seals for the stubs, 6 spd Group N STI Trans Mount, SS STI braided clutch line, Exedy Stg. one STi clutch kit and lightweight flywheel, '94 legacy auto driveshaft(propeller), rear main seal, and a www.dccdpro.com automatic DCCD controller. There were a couple of things I did not take care of ahead of time. One was that a hole needed to be tapped, and Dustin built a stud for the starter bolt hole pattern difference, another was the clutch fork lever spring, and Dustin modded the 5mt spring to work. He also installed an ON/OFF switch for the DDCD controller. I am very happy with the results. Here is a pic of the switches installed in the dash.

Got the center console closed up and finished with an STi boot trim piece. Had to do quite a bit of work on the trim piece to cut off, file and remove a flange on the under side so it would fit flush on the Legacy console, and still have an inner lip to conceal the area where the trim piece, console and boot are sandwiched together.

Last edited by kleinkid on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Got to love the retro-fitting.
I am curious about the on/off switch. If it is off, then the car is in full rear mode, or full auto mode?

And when on, you can toggle?

Explain please.

And dare we ask how much the whole thing cost?
( You still have all the kids?)
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

When the switch is in the OFF position the differential is "open". You can turn it off or on at any time, and can use the thumbwheel at anytime. "L" positiion on the thumbwheel is fully lock.

As far as cost, I will be doing a write up in a build thread and will list part numbers and sources, etc. The big ticket item, STi 6 speed, was used with about 35,00 mi on it. I've seen some priced higher than what I paid, and some priced lower. You can see what they are going for if you look in the usual places. I am not going to list prices. As for installation, I work on my car by myself, so a tranny swap was not something I chose to tackle. I provided nearly all the parts required for the swap and dccd install. I was charged ten hours of labor, and am very satisfied with the work performed by PDX Tuning. If I had purchased the tranny locally to me, I would have had PIA do the work.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Nice switch install. Does the 6mt cruise at lower RPM in top gear?
90 L+ wgn
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

At 70mph in 6th gear the rpm is higher. 150-200 rough estimate, guess, of course.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Nice work. I put the thumbwheel inthe same exact pot(Spiider's auto controller as well).

What clutch master and slave cylinders are you using? I'm running a WRX slave with an undampened SS master. It could be a matter of bleeding, but it has always had a late engagement. this was with the stock STi clutch, and now with an Exedy Hyper Single.

As for the starter, I just ground the hell out of the old one to makeit work. Fist time I tried to turn it over, there was a loud clunk, and that was all. Took me a little bit to figure it out, lol.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

John...you have this knack for making me jealous!

Excellent work my friend...I will require to see this car soon :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Awesome Awesome news! Can't wait to see it in person John!
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I saw it. It's very cool. It actually looks like it's stock!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

We need some pictures John :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I kind of spaced out and didn't take any pics of the tranny on the floor or during installation, even though I had my camera with me. I am working on a shifter boot trim piece, so will have a pic of that, should look good. Also recently installed 2005 WRX front seats,with modifiied OE brackets to get a lower seating position.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

you wouldn't happen to have the old 5speed laying around do ya? hehe I seem to have misplaced second gear in mine...

very cool though! I was thinking about the 6speed swap, but I'm happy with the 5speed for now... or until I break another one...
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:you wouldn't happen to have the old 5speed laying around do ya? hehe I seem to have misplaced second gear in mine...

very cool though! I was thinking about the 6speed swap, but I'm happy with the 5speed for now... or until I break another one...
you should just upgrade the 6speed now if you can afford it. 5 speeds get expensive after the 4th or 5th one :wink: plus pucked clutches are death on 5 speeds

oh and i have a high mileage turbo 5 speed and another one that needs some synchros/bearings 8)
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

93forestpearl--I'm using the Legacy SS clutch master cylinder, the STi slave cylinder, no damper, Sti starter.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Right on. Maybe I just need to do some more bleeding, or it could be the Hyper Single. If subaru didn't get almost twice the amount for the STi slave I'd consider giving it a shot. Maybe I'll have to be on the lookout on nasioc.
→Dan

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Damn you! Now I have another mod I want that I can't afford.

Nonetheless, mega props.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

edit w/more pics

Post by kleinkid »

Added a pic to show the completed center console, boot, and trim .
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That looks sharp. I might consider something like that. That's way down on the to-do list though.

I'm rockin the accordion boot to the dismay of everyone.
→Dan

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Yours looks fine with the stock Legacy boot on there. Like you said, doing somethng else would not be a priority, as what you have looks real nice.
what huh
Second Gear

Post by what huh »

i like the accordion boot
1998 Legacy GT-T ... sold
2000 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed ... heck yeah
1994 Legacy SS ABM Wagon ... project http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35107&start=0
Help http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35210
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

trans code for '06

Post by kleinkid »

I have been meaning to check the transmission code number for this 6 spd. DU-TY856WW7MA Just did, and it turns out it is a '06, not an '04, which was what I was told when I bought it. I have to digest this.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

What're the differences between the '06 and '04?
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

One difference is the front diff. on the '04 is A.P. Suretrac, while on the '06 it is a helical LSD. An '04 or an '06, doesn't really matter. I am assuming that there might be fewer miles on this '06, but you never know.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

06 trannys have a FD of 3.545 at the rear diff, 04 trannys are 3.9.....
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Ah ok. What year tranny do you have Jake?
-Aaron